User Avatar Image

Control feedback?

posted by [TTG] Yare on - last edited - Viewed by 1.5K users

Hello everyone!

I'm the engineer responsible for the controls. After you folks play through the demo, I'd like to hear your initial impressions and nitpicks about the control scheme. Then I'd like to hear from you again after you've played through a full episode or two.

Not sure if a readme for controls shipped with the demo, but here's some stuff anyway:

[LIST]
[*]If the inventory is closed, mouse wheel will cycle through your inventory items.
[*]If the inventory is open, and you have a bunch of inventory items, mouse wheel will scroll the inventory.
[*]The game can be played entirely with the keyboard.
[*]Q and E cycle through selectable items on screen.
[*]Hold Tab to make all the selectable items on screen stand out.
[*]Shift opens your inventory.
[*]Space activates items.
[*]Control skips dialog and backs out of closeups.
[/LIST]

And uhhh... there's probably other stuff I'll post when I remember. We mapped keys everywhere to try and give you guys as many options as possible.

272 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Armakuni said: Downloaded the demo to try it out, didn't like the controls. I'm sure they're good for this kind of control scheme but to be perfectly blunt, I'd *much* prefer regular point and click controls.

I'm sorry to hear that. We would have liked to provide a point-and-click option, but it just didn't work with the more cinematic framing of some of the game's areas. I hope you'll understand and give the game a fair shake for what it is.

• I can see a couple of problems with pure mouse-control. For instance, when talking to your neighbour (name escapes me, I didn't listen to every conversation, I want to do that in the actual game), you can't see Wallace's feet or the ground, so leaving that camera shot would be difficult. Of course, you could solve this by a simple 'right click to leave the scene' like used in previous episodes, but I suspect there will be other areas where you won't see the ground, or only part of the ground.

I thought about it a bit, and I think I do prefer 100% mouse control for the pc. It's a great adaption for the 360, and I can't think of a better control system for a console adventure of this kind, but on pc, it made walking around and interacting with items harder then it should be. But I do like the movie-like camera angles, an extremely nice chance from what we're used to. I wouldn't want to lose that. It's a difficult issue!

• i thought control system was very good but i woud lik 2 things fixed before main release:
    [LIST=1]
    [*]Mouse was very unresponsive . kept dragging behind where it was suppose to be
    [*]when you were gromit on top of the ladder i found it very hard to click on wallace and not poke the queen bee
    [/LIST]

Other than those im very much looking foward to the full release and have the games pre ordered

• Prefer the old controls, myself.

• I thought the controls were very intuitive, after just a couple of minutes I was right into it. BUT there's one big annoyance for me: I can't configure the keys. And since I live in Belgium where our keyboard layout is azerty instead of qwerty, I can't navigate using the WASD scheme. Well, I could of course, but the keys aren't in a good layout to do that, ZQSD would be the working equivalent for me. Now I know I could use the arrow keys (as I did while playing the demo), but due to the way my keyboard and mouse are positioned on my desktop, this is not a really comfortable way of playing. But that's my only problem, the rest is quite nice.

• @Lapino said: I can't navigate using the WASD scheme.

We're looking into a solution for non-QWERTY keyboard layouts. If you find arrow keys/mouse uncomfortable, you could try playing with just the keyboard. There's a WASD cluster of bound keys, a cluster around the arrow keys, and a cluster on the numpad.

I hope you find something that works comfortably for you while we look into this issue.

• @[TTG said: Yare;118221']We're looking into a solution for non-QWERTY keyboard layouts. If you find arrow keys/mouse uncomfortable, you could try playing with just the keyboard. There's a WASD cluster of bound keys, a cluster around the arrow keys, and a cluster on the numpad.

I hope you find something that works comfortably for you while we look into this issue.

Is there any particular reason you can't just let us map the controls to the keys ourselves? Wouldn't that be the best solution for non-standard keyboard layouts or custom control schemes?

• I thought the keyboard-mouse scheme was very intuitive, and I'm happy using it. Much nicer control than Grim Fandango/Monkey Island 4.

I have a thrustmaster (firestorm dual analog 3 gamepad) too, so decided to seee if it would work. I was hoping 'generic' gamepads would be supported, even if not explicitly tested & listed, but the game's not seeing it at all, unfortunately.

• @ruppy99 said: i thought control system was very good but i woud lik 2 things fixed before main release:
    [LIST=1]
    [*]Mouse was very unresponsive . kept dragging behind where it was suppose to be
    [*]when you were gromit on top of the ladder i found it very hard to click on wallace and not poke the queen bee
    [/LIST]

Other than those im very much looking foward to the full release and have the games pre ordered

If your mouse feels unresponsive, it is most likely because you have your graphics settings up a bit too high. If you turn them down a bit, you will find that the mouse becomes much more responsive.

• @Rather Dashing said: Is there any particular reason you can't just let us map the controls to the keys ourselves?

We didn't have the resources to create a nice keymapping system for this project.

Add Comment