User Avatar Image

What about a deluxe version with better bitrate for voices ?

posted by BarfHappy on - last edited - Viewed by 834 users

I imagine the big reason for the low voices bitrate is the size of the download (bigger download, bigger the costs), but for the full season CD edition, maybe you could do a 2CDs pack instead of the single CD and double the voices data bitrate.

The bubble/wobble effect of low bitrate really make my ears uneasy. Hopefully i have a good soundcard and even better speakers system but applying filters to reduce that has a bad impact on the wonderful soundtrack playing in the background.

I truly love the game, and that's the only complaint i really have.
i don't care the difficulty, it is so damn funny and that is just the first case. i guess they will rise the difficulty until they receive hint requests that would indicate the game is getting too hard for the sam and max target audience. Or maybe implement the Max giving hints idea...

Ho well, back to the original point, i guess i am not the only one bothered with the low bitrate, am i ?

23 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @neilka said: It's worth noting that Jake from Telltale has already said that the sound quality will improve in future episodes - it remains to be seen by how much:
    http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11556

To clarify that a bit, I don't know if the voice compression quality is going to be improved by Episode 2, but we've already moved the sound effects to a higher quality audio format for that episode (sound effects now use the same format we use for the music). The voice quality in particular is something everyone's aware of, though, and its one we hope to offer a solution to sooner rather than later.

• @Jake said: To clarify that a bit, I don't know if the voice compression quality is going to be improved by Episode 2, but we've already moved the sound effects to a higher quality audio format for that episode (sound effects now use the same format we use for the music). The voice quality in particular is something everyone's aware of, though, and its one we hope to offer a solution to sooner rather than later.

Since the voices are simple .VOX files in the data-folder of the game, why not offer a higher quality install-package as an additional download, to replace these?

• Just for the record, I didn't find the compressed sound quality distracting in the slightest - I noticed it and think it'd be neat if the quality was better on the CD, though.

• Thanks for the clarification, Jake.

You know, say what you will about episodic gaming, but the opportunity that we have to communicate so closely with the people involved in developing the game is really spectacular.

Hopefully the team doesn't get bummed about all of the criticism. People just care so much about Sam and Max! It's almost as though the people on the forum are a member of the development team, and it makes this whole thing a very interesting experiment.

• User Avatar Image
    Bas

I'm happy with the voice quality as it is, for a downloadable, episodic game. However, I'll also add in my vote for a slightly higher bitrate on the Season 1 CD/DVD. It'd be a nice extra.

• @Jake said: The voice quality in particular is something everyone's aware of, though, and its one we hope to offer a solution to sooner rather than later.

Yes please do, however big the download might be... My ISP charges a month what the complete series of Sam & Max costs so I would be quite happy to utilise some of that capacity!

• If the soundrate is actually fixed (because the voice sound quality is noticeably irritating) I'll order the season here and now, as I've said elsewhere. It's the only thing putting me off buying this game :)

• I agree with everyone that the voice quality is too low.

Everything seems to be stored as plain .vox files (and not in one big .sou file like the old game), so I'm all for a separate download with just higher quality audio in it. Bandwidth is cheap and my sensitive ears sure wouldn't mind a download size twice as big or more.

The current size of the entire S&M game isn't even as big as some of the movie trailers for other episodic games like Half Life 2 ;)

• Oooh yeah... a separate, downloadable .vox file with higher bitrate voice samples. I like that idea a lot. It would give me an excuse to play the game again with the volume turned up even louder.

Add Comment