User Avatar Image

DISGUST: Censorship of my post!

posted by Derrick on - last edited - Viewed by 382 users

As a loyal Fan of Sam & Max I am recently disgusted by the removal of the informative post I made.

I pre-oredered S&M 1 & 2. And pre-ordered W&G even though the controls stink, but will work quite well with a joystick. I even ordered other merchandise from TTG.

My post showed users how to play S&M Season 1 (and other TT games) in any video mode they choose. The lack of video modes has been an ongoing problem for me and other users. See this previous topic.
http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3840

I did not tell people how to steal the game. I told them how to play the games at an enhanced resolution. I just got done playing S&M season 1, Ep 1 in Hi-Res widescreen. It was quite enjoyable. I would not have played it again except to see it in its hi-res glory.

I also told people how to select any mode for Strong Bad. That post was removed. I also explained why it is harder then most people think to add proper widescreen support to S&M S1. But all this usefull info has been removed.

As a loyal customer, I WANT/DEMAND AN EXPLAINATION!

P.S. as some TTG employees are ex-Lucas Arts... I also own every Lucas Arts adventure. Purchased the moment they were in the store at full price. Heck, I even purchased the floppy versions of DOTT and S&MHTR. Then I purchased the CD talkies when I found out about them and gave away the floppy versions. No complaint about the double purchase.

24 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I love the tags for this topic:)

• I don't want this thread to turn into a Bash TTG for not adding widescreen support to a previously released game.

Like I have said in the past TTG is a great company that (mostly) listens to it's users. The DO NOT owe us an updated version.

If people could have read my original censored thread, they would have seen I took TTG's side. Then as my anger grew over the thread being removed, I went over to the dark side and took the position that it is really not too hard.

If TTG is looking at it from a standpoint of updating the whole game to their newest engine used by W&G, then yes, I imagine it is a lot of work. And I would not want them to do that. Would not want to loose the Point&Click. :D

But looking at it from the view of just updating the game using the 2.0 version they have already updated to, then a quick patch of the masks would fix up a lot of problems. Totally unsupported of course.

Part of the update problem may also be the different ways the games were released and updating all of those.

To sum things up, I just felt unjustly censored for posting info that I need to use the game as I have described in other posts. And looking at other threads, I know other users want/need this info. They can use this info knowing in advance about the graphical glitches it will create.

Maybe if I had received a private notice as to why the thread was removed, it may have defused me. But I would have still argued about my right to let others know about it.

• I can sort of see both sides of this. I don't work for Telltale, but I am a professional developer, and I know that for a commercial, supported project, making even small changes can force an entire re-testing cycle, to make sure everything still works, and that takes a long time. Personally, I'd rather have Telltale's people working on Sam & Max Season 3 than trying to pretty up Season 1.

On the other hand, I've also been on the side of writing how-to instructions to get games to work on unsupported equipment. Because some things aren't done because of market realities, but a few tweaks here and there will get something that "mostly, probably" works with my strange computers.

If Telltale doesn't want these patches on their boards, it's their right to remove them. It's probably what the company lawyers would recommend. And that's why there are other forums elsewhere. You might try to see if a search engine or something still has your post cached somewhere (by searching on a unique phrase that would have been in it), which would let you copy and paste your post to somewhere else in its original glory.

• @Derrick said: I don't want this thread to turn into a Bash TTG for not adding widescreen support to a previously released game.

But... That's how it was when you started it:confused:

• @Derrick said: Per Derwin's suggestion, I posted the info here:
    http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15758

Thanks for reposting the solution, I look forward to trying it one of these days.

• @Marduk said: But... That's how it was when you started it:confused:

No it wasn't. This person is just upset because he was trying to help out people with the same problem he had, using the same sort of solution he used.

Telltale shut him down because they don't want untested techie bits here and there, which this guy doesn't think is fair considering all the how-to guides on Linux and Mac.

This person starts off pretty mad, but they have some good points. I can understand Telltale's position, depending on the possible effects of this sort of thing. If it can, for example, permanently break a monitor...it's hard to say that it's the best idea to keep it on their forums. But I can see this poster's point, that he's trying to actually add something to the community with his odd technical fix. He loves Telltale and their games as much as any of us.

• @Rather Dashing said: No it wasn't. This person is just upset because he was trying to help out people with the same problem he had, using the same sort of solution he used.

Telltale shut him down because they don't want untested techie bits here and there, which this guy doesn't think is fair considering all the how-to guides on Linux and Mac.

This person starts off pretty mad, but they have some good points. I can understand Telltale's position, depending on the possible effects of this sort of thing. If it can, for example, permanently break a monitor...it's hard to say that it's the best idea to keep it on their forums. But I can see this poster's point, that he's trying to actually add something to the community with his odd technical fix. He loves Telltale and their games as much as any of us.

Thank you for stating my POV in a "Rather Dashing" way. ;)

It all started by wanting to fix some of the problems that I (and others) have been having as mentioned here:
    http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3840

As mentioned there, in S2 I can't use 1176x664. It is soooooo close to 16:9 that it should be allowed
    16:9 = 1.7777777777777777777777777777778
    1176:664 = 1.7710843373493975903614457831325

Now I have found a way to do it and the side effect is that I can play S1 in widescreen along with all the glitches involved in doing so. And as another side effect I posted pictures showing some of the problems TTG would have to fix. I did not want to post shots from the TV masking problems in S1, Ep2 because some folks may not have played that far yet.

• @Tjibbbe said: I love the tags for this topic:)

Yeah, they are quite funny.

- the following not directed at Tjibbbe -

But I take it to mean that people these days can't bother reading and understanding everything posted. Including the thread that explains people's need for this hack. Any resemblance of me to a raving lunatic is completely coincidental ;)

The main focus of the censored thread had to do with allowing the user to pick any video mode they wanted. S1 widescreen is just a side effect. The main reason for this thread was to get an answer to why the info vanished.

FWIW, I understand TTG framing issues with the games. But people want/need to use specific video resolutions for different reasons. My reason is my TV display. Other want to run at the native resolution of their LCD monitor. That is how the picture looks best.

TTG could have made the games use any resolution and then just add sidebars or letterbox as needed to keep the framing. Oddly enough this is just what they have done for Wallace & Gromit. Of course if they had done that for S&M, you would not be able to hack them to widescreen I would have liked to see a stretch to fit option in W&G, but hey, you can't have everything.

I wonder why W&G has this great new video support? I wonder if it has anything to do with W.A.B's like myself that have pestered them for years over this issue. (W=whiny, A=... figure it out) :D

At least this thread and the S1 widescreen pics thread have not been removed. So now people can find the link to a way to solve their problem. Not a perfect fix, but it is better then nothing. In the future I will think twice before trying to be helpful.

Now on to playing W&G tommorow. Of course first I have to make a joystick profile. Can't stand the new keyboard controls. I play from the couch, not at the desk. I had thought about starting a thread on how to use AutoHotkey to use a joystick with W&G, but...

• Rather Ranting.

I like the sound of that. =p

• I feel like offering the friendly advice that if you want to disagree with people who have power on a forum, the number one first thing you should do is not sound like a troll. Believe me, this is advice I wish I had learned sooner than I did. Because, you see, it doesn't actually matter whether you then behave like one, because people have already decided to dislike your opinion.

This discussion has been closed.