User Avatar Image

Sam & Max: Culture Shock - Computer resets when entering new areas.

posted by SplitSoul on - last edited - Viewed by 2.7K users

This is totally ruining my Sam & Max euphoria. :( I started a new game, tried to leave the office—computer resets. Started a new game, got out on the street this time, tried to enter Bosco's—computer resets. I imagine this will continue happening for each new area. What could be the problem here?

P4 2.4Ghz HT
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
2x512MB PC3200 400Mhz
Radeon 9500 Pro 128MB
Audigy2

Despite the technical difficulties the game is really fun.

57 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • C'mon, guys... I desparately want to play the game. I've been waiting 13 years.:(

• Same problem here.

Running Windows x64 on a Pentium D 2.8Ghz

• The game has crashed on me twice trying to leave the office.
    But it's just because My virtual memory is low. Probably due to the fact I only have less then 200MB left on my hard drive.

• Same thing is happening to me. Anything fixable? I doubt it's the memory running low, I have 78,6 GB left on my hard drive.

A fix would be really nice.

• These resets are seriously hampering my enjoyment of the game. Could it be a massive memory leak of some kind? I tried closing all programs, bells and whistles before playing it again, and I managed to get through three areas before it reset.

• It was working absolutely perfectly for me when I first ran it, then I quit to go do something else. Now it either crashes when trying to load a saved game, crashes/resets when I try to exit an area.

If I start a new game I can then load a save and exit an area once, but it will crash upon trying to enter a new one.

• Try this...

Start->Run->Control Panel->System
    Go the the "Advanced" tab
    Click the button under "Startup and Recovery"
    Uncheck the "Automatically Restart" box

That shoudl stop the system from automatically rebooting when a system error occurs, so you have time to write down the error message. I'm guessing this has to do with a hardware driver, personally, as that's something that's happened to me in the past (not with Sam & Max, though).

• Thanks, tabacco. I tried just that but unfortunately the system still reboots when I exit an area in the game. The screen goes blue for a few seconds before it reboots, but I don't get any error message.

• @tabacco said: Try this...

Start->Run->Control Panel->System
    Go the the "Advanced" tab
    Click the button under "Startup and Recovery"
    Uncheck the "Automatically Restart" box

It's already disabled, one of the first things I do when I format.

• Is it by any chance a laptop you're using?

Mine has a factory fault, which makes it turn off if it's displaying something - but only if I've got the power cable plugged in. So I charge the battery each time before playing Sam & Max..

Add Comment