User Avatar Image

Please increase the sound quality for voices

posted by neilka on - last edited - Viewed by 821 users

As has been noted in several threads of yore, the sound quality used for voices in past Telltale releases has been lower than some people would like. The voices sound overcompressed and clipped, which is especially evident when a character says the letter "s".

(To head this off at the pass - I realise that some people either don't notice or don't care about this problem, in which case forget you ever read this thread and don't try listening for it!)

With Dominic Armato back on board, it'd be an extraordinary shame for the voices to fall victim to the same problem again. So I beseech you Telltale, please increase the amount of data allocated to voices this time around so that Guybrush's esses (and other letters) can ring out across the Caribbean with the clarity they deserve.

Thank you!

100 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • its like with the controls, it just wont happen, this isnt the company that listens to people anymore, because Telltale doesnt need better voice quality, then nobody need it.

Its so amazing, such a small little detail, not even this cant they do :(

Because for us who has a good sound system, the voice is still very very bad, i must agree.

It is scary that old adventure game voices sound better. But thats Telltale for you :/

• jeez buddy calm down and stop trolling every thread.

• User Avatar Image
    Tor

This has annoyed me as well. Seriously, people don't have that low bandwidths anymore, a few more megabytes to fix the sound quality won't hurt anyone. With a good audio coder you don't need super high bitrates to get good quality reproduction of human speech. For a very small amount of effort on Telltale's part, the audio quality can be highly improved.

• @RMJ1984 said: its like with the controls, it just wont happen, this isnt the company that listens to people anymore, because Telltale doesnt need better voice quality, then nobody need it.

How appropriate, you fight like a cow.

Really guys, come on now. I try to stay out of these kinds of threads as much as possible, but this is really getting mental. We're on a forum of a company discussing the new Monkey Island. Monkey Island! Do you really believe this is a game made by some evil corporation looking for ways to take your money and ruin your life? The fact that this game even exists is fanservice to the extreme. Let's not forget that Telltale still isn't this mega-corporation with unlimited staff, time and money. They're a small company releasing games that only exist because of their, and our, love for them. The fact that they're not doing everything every fan is shouting for doesn't mean that they're not listening. I really don't understand why this needs to be explained over and over. I really pity those that can't get over these silly little things and just try to enjoy the games. They're a labour of love, and I'm extremely happy to see this day. I feel like I'm 12 again, playing the Curse of Monkey Island-demo for the first time. Brilliant.

It's the year 2009, and we're playing more adventure games then ever. It's bloody Monkey Island. In 2009.

• Just adding my thumbs up to this thread, more than sam and max, more than strongbad, monkey island deserves top quality speech.

• The speech compression is the one thing that makes previous Telltale releases seem less than 100% polished. I would LOVE to see this rectified in Tales of Monkey Island.

That being said... this is very exciting news! Nice going, guys!

• @backslash said: Also agree with increasing the sound quality, an extra 50mb or so per episode isn't going to hurt anyone.

The games can only be up to 40MB (WiiWare limit). It'd have to be as a patch or something.

• @turingmachine604 said: The games can only be up to 40MB (WiiWare limit). It'd have to be as a patch or something.

The actual files on Wii are different from the files on PC. They could easily have the PC version use higher quality audio than the Wii version.

• User Avatar Image
    Tor

@LuigiHann said: The actual files on Wii are different from the files on PC. They could easily have the PC version use higher quality audio than the Wii version.

Correct, and the installers for the PC episodes of Strong Bad (Telltale's other game series on WiiWare) are already twice the size of the WiiWare limit.

• I have REALY old and low quality speakers, a 6.1 surround sound speaker set, and a par of $100 dolor earphones: the sound of S&B and W&G is horrible on ALL THE DIFFERENT SPEAKERS! I don’t care if I have to pay an extra $5 bucks to get something I would consider “good quality,” I don’t care if I have to wait half a year for the DVD, all I want is something , ANYTHING that will sound acceptable.

This is the game I grew up on; Monkey Island is my all time favorite adventure game and I really don’t want you to mess it up with crummy audio. I am not asking for CD quality, but something that is at lest comparable to streaming quality is fine with me. And could you please make it so the sound is not clipped.

At least tell us why you can’t increases the audio quality?

Add Comment