User Avatar Image

Questions for Dominic Armato!

posted by Jake on - last edited - Viewed by 3.2K users

If you see a guy with the username "dmnkly" skulking around, it's probably Dominic Armato, (better known as) the voice of Guybrush Threepwood!

If you've got any questions for Dom or just want to say hello, drop 'em here!

Dom answers! Let's take a look...

[LIST]
[*]First round of answers! June 1st
[*]Second round of answers! June 2nd
[*]Third round of answers! June 2nd -- again!
[*]Fourth round of answers! June 3rd
[*]Fifth round of answers! June 4th
[*]Sixth round of answers! June 4th -- again!
[*]Seventh round of answers! June 5th
[/LIST]

I don't know when this will end, but that's a lot of answered questions so far! Check those to see if your question has already been answered!

690 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Hey Dom! It's good to have you and the series back, but my question pertains to classic LucasArts games in general. Have you thought about doing voicing for revitalizing other old classics, even ones outside the LucasArts franchise? If so, what ones? Or maybe another role that you've been dying to try out that doesn't exist yet?

• Awesome to have you back Dominic, when I watched the trailer today I thought "is that a different voice actor? not sure but it sounds similar" but I guess when its been so many years voices are bound to sound slightly different. Without you, Monkey Island just wouldn't be the same :D

You should make some Guybrush commercials about the dangers of videogame piracy (perhaps that can be an in-game joke?) :p

[quote=Dominic](P.S. If anybody can or has an in with somebody who can accelerate time to get us to July 7th a little quicker, drop me a line, K? I'm impatient.)[/quote]
    Step into my car....

pink.jpg

• Dominic,

Out of all the MI games, who is your favorite character?

• Thanks for answering my question Dominic!

Glad to have you back. I'm so pumped.

• Did you prefer the point and click controls of CMI or the arrow keys/gamepad controls of EMI?

• @LuigiHann said: Must have been exciting to record that line for the remake, eh? :D

Actually, that one held me up for a moment. Had to figure out the best way to actually say it!

@LuigiHann said: I'm not the only one who has a ripped mp3 of the pirate song from CMI on their ipod, right?
    Oh, no :-)

@LuigiHann said: Dmnkly, on what date did LucasArts contact you to reprise your role for SoMI:SE?
    Um... don't remember. Back in February, maybe?

@LuigiHann said: I was wondering if you'll be appearing at Video Games Live at the Greek Theatre this Thursday.
    Nope. In fact, I don't even live in L.A. anymore. I'm in Baltimore at the moment, and we're moving to Boston in a few weeks.

@LuigiHann said: Do you ever accidentally do Guybrush's voice in everyday conversation?
    Not so much. But my natural voice is close enough to his that I'm sure there's plenty of stuff that could easily be him.

@LuigiHann said: And if so, has it resulted in a humorous situation?
    Only when chatting with Monkey Island fans for the first time and they keep giving me strange looks because they can't get their heads around his voice coming out of me :-)

@LuigiHann said: Do you use any Guybrush lines in real life on purpose?
    Mmmmmmmmmm, no.

@LuigiHann said: Alright I got it! If you had one superpower, what would it be?
    Easy. Instant global teleportation. Want a great plate of pasta? *BAMF* I'm in Rome. Weather getting a little cold? *BAMF* I'm in Hawaii. Want to catch a Cubs game with some old friends? *BAMF* I'm in Chicago. Want to see the Inglourious Basterds (sic) premiere? *BAMF* I'm in Cannes. Plus, I could charge exorbitant rates for instant worldwide delivery to pay for all of the fun stuff. Downside being that I don't get enough exercise as it is, and the temptation to *BAMF* into the kitchen for another soda would probably be too much to resist.

@LuigiHann said: How do you work? Do you practice (your voice) for the sessions? Do you have any rituals (dancing around a Guybrush pole, yelling YAARRRR) ???!!!
    I just try to replay the games (again) before going back into sessions to get it back in my head a little. And before EMI, I made a little field trip down to Disney to ride Pirates of the Caribbean a few times. Okay, so it was just an excuse to expense a trip to Disney.

@LuigiHann said: Apart from Guybrush, who is your favourite character? Mine was Murray.
    If not Murray, then he's definitely right there. Though on my last playthrough of CMI, it was the Flying Welshman who was killing me. Go figure.

@LuigiHann said: Dominic what do you think of guybrush's goatee :p
    Stylin'. And my own personal grooming habits have nothing to do with that opinion whatsoever.

@LuigiHann said: What I'd like to know is are you a fan of Telltale's work prior to Tales? what other Lucasarts adventure games did you play / love? Or what other adventure games in general?
    Here's where I'm going to really embarrass myself by admitting that I've barely touched the other Telltale games (forgive me, guys!). They've mostly been post-kid, and gaming time has been hard to come by as of late. Back when I did have time for lots of gaming, Full Throttle and Grim Fandango were probably my favorites next to Monkey Island. And I really dug the first Gabriel Knight.

@LuigiHann said: Did you ever go partially insane while waiting for Monkey Island 5?
    Partially?

@LuigiHann said: Sensible questions: as far as you know, will we be hearing Guybrush's amazing singing once again?
    Past episode one, I know as much as you guys do. And I don't think there was any singing in episode one. But like I say, my brain is mush. Don't completely discount the possibility.

@LuigiHann said: What about the french translation? Did you ever met the french voice for Guybrush Sreepwoude?
    Nope. Can't say that I did. Though if Telltale or LucasArts ever felt it necessary to fly me out to France to do so, I and my stomach would make that sacrifice.

@LuigiHann said: By the way, are you still selling those fine leather jackets that I love so much?
    Actually, I've moved on to fine leather chaps. Higher margins.

@LuigiHann said: Hey Dom! It's good to have you and the series back, but my question pertains to classic LucasArts games in general. Have you thought about doing voicing for revitalizing other old classics, even ones outside the LucasArts franchise? If so, what ones? Or maybe another role that you've been dying to try out that doesn't exist yet?
    Well, it certainly wouldn't be my call :-) I used to spend a lot of time trying to badger Darragh into letting me do some other roles. But I've learned to quit being an ungrateful bastard and be content with voicing the lead. Guybrush was the only character I dreamed of doing, and I got him.

@LuigiHann said: Did you prefer the point and click controls of CMI or the arrow keys/gamepad controls of EMI?
    I'm definitely a point 'n clicky kind of guy when it comes to classic adventure. But if it gets the games on consoles and makes it possible for more people to enjoy them, I say bring on the thumbsticks!

• Dom so cool that you are actually here among us... I have some questions about the industry. How exactly did you get into voice acting and what would you suggest an aspiring voice actor go about doing the same...

Now for the MI question, you remember Plank of Love I know it was scrapped but did any semblance of a melody exist because those lyrics have confounded me since I found them on the internet oh so many years ago?

That's enough for now, hope the move to Boston goes well for you and the family

• User Avatar Image
    Bas

[QUOTE]Do you use any Guybrush lines in real life on purpose?

Mmmmmmmmmm, no.[/QUOTE]

Classic.

• Okay Dominic, I've thought long and hard about this one, and I'm super-duper serial...have you ever gone dressed up for Halloween as Guybrush? If no, would you consider doing it? If yes, would you send me exclusive photos of the event? If no, would you at least post them publicly for everyone to see, myself included? If yes, could you not post them on FaceBook and/or PhotoBucket both of which I have a personal vendetta against? If no, why not?

That's all for now.

• Ooh... I'm all starstruck. It's a fabulous, geeky honour to share a chunk of cyberspace with you, Dominic! :cool:

There are countless things I would just love to ask about, of course - but I suppose the most pressing question right now would be: "How many more questions do you expect you'll have to answer before we salivating fans allow you a well-earned break?"

Add Comment