User Avatar Image

Sam & Max: Culture Shock - Computer resets when entering new areas.

posted by SplitSoul on - last edited - Viewed by 3.4K users

This is totally ruining my Sam & Max euphoria. :( I started a new game, tried to leave the office—computer resets. Started a new game, got out on the street this time, tried to enter Bosco's—computer resets. I imagine this will continue happening for each new area. What could be the problem here?

P4 2.4Ghz HT
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
2x512MB PC3200 400Mhz
Radeon 9500 Pro 128MB
Audigy2

Despite the technical difficulties the game is really fun.

57 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • It may be coincidence.
    Once when I entered new areas the game either 'blinked' & minimized.
    The second time it rebooted my computer.

I'm now playing in window mode, and it is running fine so far.
    Nothing in the event log, when my computer rebooted. (I have reboot on error set to off in XP also)

• @jannar85 said: Is it by any chance a laptop you're using?

Nope, it's stationary.

• I've got the same problem, but it only seems to happen when I enter the psychiatrists, or (if it gets this far) in the dream analysis.

• I was having a problem with entering new areas, though it just crashed the game, it didn't reboot the system.

What I did was lower the resolution by one setting, and the problem went away.

• @XwingRob said: I was having a problem with entering new areas, though it just crashed the game, it didn't reboot the system.

What I did was lower the resolution by one setting, and the problem went away.

I tried it, and it worked for me too! The game works perfectly now.

• I tried updating my video drivers and changing the resolution to 1024x768, now it doesn't reset the computer, it just crashes to desktop.

• @SplitSoul said: I tried updating my video drivers and changing the resolution to 1024x768, now it doesn't reset the computer, it just crashes to desktop.

Hmm, I would also try updating your sound drivers, and maybe defragging your harddrive. Though you may have already tried that.

And just for the sake of trying, reduce the resolution to absolute minimal...

• Hey guys -

For those of you with a Radeon video card who are having unexpected reboots while replaying, get the newest drivers for your card. An older set of drivers had a problem with our games that essentially caused the card to overheat and the computer to reboot. We informed Radeon of the problem and they fixed it in the most recent drivers.

SplitSoul, since you've already updated your drivers, can you tell me when it's crashing to the desktop? Is the crash always at a certain point, or is it random? Does it persist if you drop the resolution down to 800x600 and the graphics settings to "low"?

Duncan - in your case, it sounds like a problem with the auto saves. I'm not sure what to suggest, but I will check in with the tech guys about it.

• Hmm, I'm not really sure if the latest Radeon drivers are doing the trick(I'm not saying you shouldn't download them, heh;) ).
    The first thing I did was update my video drivers but my problem persisted, it was only when I reduced the resolution it started working fine. But perhaps I had a different form of the problem, since my computer didn't reboot, it was only the game that crashed.

Btw, I notice your replying alot, Emily, thats commendable.

• @Emily said: SplitSoul, since you've already updated your drivers, can you tell me when it's crashing to the desktop? Is the crash always at a certain point, or is it random? Does it persist if you drop the resolution down to 800x600 and the graphics settings to "low"?

It seems to be completely random, after playing the game for 10-20 minutes and then entering a new area or triggering a cinematic.

I also did what you suggested to no avail.

Add Comment