User Avatar Image

Q&A With the Team

posted by Jake on - last edited - Viewed by 8.3K users

Welcome to the secret forum! As a thank you for pre-ordering, we've created this little backstage area where you can hang out with the development team, keep an eye on the development of Tales of Monkey Island, and hopefully get your hands on things before we go wide with them to the public.

First off, though, let's start a Q&A thread!

Any questions you've got for the development team, ask 'em here!
We'll try to dogpile this thread with high quality facts and higher quality lies conversation!

1.5K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Xocrates said: /me imagines what a monkey with a tree for a head looks like.

woups. :confused: Edited now :p

• User Avatar Image
    MarkDarin Telltale Staff

Hi Everyone!
    HOLY CRAP! Twelve pages already!? Wow, this part of the forum has really gotten away from me fast!

For those who don't know me, I'm Mark, one of the Lead Designers on Tales of Monkey Island. I've been a Monkey Island fan for as long as I can remember and I'm absolutely THRILLED to be working on this game! I want you to know that I am doing everything thing I can to make sure this is an Authentic Monkey Island experience!

Anyway, I just wanted to pop in and say Hi and say that if you have any specific questions for me, I'll do my best to answer them!

Thanks everyone! And don't put your lips on anything!

• Hey Mark --

What is the secret of Monkey Island?

• I heard that Ron Gilbert worked with you on this project. Did he really works? If it's the case, what did he does?

(Sorry for my english, pirates dont go to school)

• Just a simple question, but what happend to LeChuck's pistol brace?
    For those that have less of a grounding in history, I'm referring to the belt that ran from his rightshoulder to the left of his waist. Belt's like these were often employed to hold several pistols.
    As far as I can tell, LeChuck had one of these in every previous incarnation. (Even though it never held a pistol). However I cannot see him wearing one in the trailer.

• @War-overlord said: Just a simple question, but what happend to LeChuck's pistol brace?
    For those that have less of a grounding in history, I'm referring to the belt that ran from his rightshoulder to the left of his waist. Belt's like these were often employed to hold several pistols.
    As far as I can tell, LeChuck had one of these in every previous incarnation. (Even though it never held a pistol). However I cannot see him wearing one in the trailer.

After all these years he realized he didnt have a pistol and therefore decided to take it off?

Thats what im thinking

• @Chaka said: I heard that Ron Gilbert worked with you on this project. Did he really works? If it's the case, what did he does?

(Sorry for my english, pirates dont go to school)

Ron came in to work with the design team on hammering out parts of the story, coming up with some puzzles, and talking a lot about the feel of the games and sharing his thoughts on the characters and what he thought would be driving them in our story -- what they'd want, what they'd know, what would be important to them, etc. It was an extremely fun time. We opened up by going through our whole story as it stood at the time, Ron picked up on what we were doing immediately, and we started running from there. A lot of the most interesting stuff from those meetings won't be really showing itself until the later parts of the season, when things have of course swung a bit out of everyone's control. Tales of Monkey Island isn't "Ron Gilbert's Monkey Island 3" or anything like that -- this game follows the events of all four previous Monkey games -- but I think Ron's hand will be felt in the design as the story unfolds. I can't wait for you guys to see it :)

• I also can't wait for you to see us seeing it :)

I also have a question. Can you tell us anything about how far the music is? I'm really looking forward to the new Michael Land stuff

• A map !
    Oh, sorry, Hi there :).
    I just would say that adventure game without map is so sad, Monkey Island game without map is dreadful !! So, I maybe exaggerate but I think that maps with various spots are very important. The map suggests Lady Voodoo's lair, the town with hairdressing salon and restaurant, the beach and more... in Monkey Island 3 for example are very influential in the game's experience. To go swiftly between each place are important I find. The map which is used for moving is crucial, it brings sensation of big size and depth. In the first Sam & Max (Hit the Road), there was some places but with the map to choose, we believed that we went throught the whole of USA.
    When there are no map : movings are boring (it's all the more when the game was already finished one time) and, personally, I feel "locked up"...
    Anyway, thank you very much for this "sequel" and I'm sorry if my English is too rude.

• User Avatar Image
    seanvanaman Telltale Staff

@Lena_P said: Okay, now that I've had time to return to Earth a little bit, I've got a real question. What's the story going to be like?

For when ToMI takes place, Dave Grossman does a bang-up job of explaining where and why Tales takes place in an interview he did with gamespot here: http://e3.gamespot.com/video/6210456/ . Basically, we imagine MI5 would be a grand 40 hour epic (if you're here, you probably know 40 hour epics aren't our thang) and TMI takes place after the presupposed events of that story.

This is the most sequential, interconnected story Telltale's ever told. Mike and Mark have a glorious plan for the arc of the entire season and we hope to be revealing as many questions as we do answers to the series' questions every month. I get psyched just thinking about it.

Add Comment