User Avatar Image

Q&A With the Team

posted by Jake on - last edited - Viewed by 13.4K users

Welcome to the secret forum! As a thank you for pre-ordering, we've created this little backstage area where you can hang out with the development team, keep an eye on the development of Tales of Monkey Island, and hopefully get your hands on things before we go wide with them to the public.

First off, though, let's start a Q&A thread!

Any questions you've got for the development team, ask 'em here!
We'll try to dogpile this thread with high quality facts and higher quality lies conversation!

1.5K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @seanvanaman said: For when ToMI takes place, Dave Grossman does a bang-up job of explaining where and why Tales takes place in an interview he did with gamespot here: http://e3.gamespot.com/video/6210456/ . Basically, we imagine MI5 would be a grand 40 hour epic (if you're here, you probably know 40 hour epics aren't our thang) and TMI takes place after the presupposed events of that story.

This is the most sequential, interconnected story Telltale's ever told. Mike and Mark have a glorious plan for the arc of the entire season and we hope to be revealing as many questions as we do answers to the series' questions every month. I get psyched just thinking about it.

So it's basically Lost with monkeys

• @Junaid said: So it's basically Lost with monkeys

I don't see anything wrong with that.. in fact Lost can really use guybrush on the island for their final season. I mean if people think Hugo is funny...

• Bring the release date forward for us animals who pre-ordered!! haha

How was it taking on the burden of reviving such an adored franchise, especially after the backlash EFMI received? Did you feel much pressure deciding/making a Monkey Island game knowing it has one of most vocal fan base (when it comes to adventure games)?

Did Ron Gilbert share with you.. the "Secret of Monkey Island"?

Keep up the great work guys!

• @Xocrates said: /me imagines what a monkey with a tree for a head looks like.

You two might have just inadvertently written a TOMI Season Two joke.

• Guys, I just want to thank you for this impossible development. For someone who grew up with the Lucasarts adventures, it's just amazing to see Guybrush and Sam & Max appearing in new games again. I have a couple of questions, I'll let you decide if you want to answer them or not.

First off, what was the reasoning behind giving Guybrush his current look? I like the tradition of Guybrush looking different in every game he appears in, and I have to say I'm absolutely in love with how he looks right now. The weird cross between his CMI/MI2-look really works for some reason. But yeah, how many versions of the new Guybrush were there, and what made you decide that this look was the one you wanted?

I also would like to know what the deal is with the MI1 remake. Is this something that came out of the negotiations with Lucasarts about the new episodic series, or is it just coincidence that the two projects developed around the same time? Also, will we be able to buy the remake directly from the Telltale shop, as Lucasarts doesn't have his own download-service? I was going to ask about possible other projects with Lucasarts, possibly even something with tentacles, but I probably couldn't handle the answer. I'm still wrapping my brain around the fact that we're seeing Guybrush again.

I do want to ask you about the role Lucasarts plays in this project. Obviously they own the rights, but do they have some sort of creative input?

Sorry for the long post, but I can't describe how much I love all of you right now. If I ever meet one of you guys in person, I'll buy you a grog. Here's to many seasons of Monkey Madness!

• @Shale said: You've never heard the expression "a bullet with your name on it"?

Of course I have, but that makes zero sense when placed in the context of the bullet in the game.

"A bullet with your name on" is another way of saying "a bullet destined to kill you". This has been changed to a bullet literally having a name on it, usually for comedic purposes. (For example, in the British comedy "BlackAdder", a particularly stupid character was caught carving their name on a bullet. When asked why, he replied, "Well, I thought if I owned the bullet with my name on it, I'd never get hit by it, 'cos I won't ever shoot myself. And, the chances of there being two bullets with my name on them are very small indeed.").

As you can see, placing this into the context of Hit the Road makes zero sense. Why would have Flint Paper have carved Max's name on a bullet? There's no obvious joke there.

• Thanks guys, I just preordered.

So, I'll just be honest. I really feel like the art direction could be so much drastically better. I feel like having that vast, rich, detailed and at times very gritty and creepy monkey island "world" is SO important to the series. This looks plastic and plain and dated to me.

Was that a priority for you guys? Or did budget and convenience win the day?

I guess my question is, are you guys listening to fan criticisms on the general board or from elsewhere? I think in this case there have been some really valid concerns and thoughts not just by serial whiners or haters, but by really smart thoughtful fans who just want the best.

I could easily have asked a really gushing positive question, but I feel like those have all been asked so maybe I'd spice it up a bit.

Thanks guys, this is the best news I've heard in so long!

• Holy crap! I'm posting in the secret forum!

• @Guybrush_Threepwood said: Holy crap! I'm posting in the secret forum!

OH NØEZ!

np: Tosca - Birthday (No Hassle (Disc 2))

• Since the franchise is named "Tales of Monkey Island", will we have the chance to play in other episodes or season as other characters that aren't Guybrush, such as spinoffs or something like that?

Also, will we see ever again Largo LaGrande?

Add Comment