User Avatar Image

Q&A With the Team

posted by Jake on - last edited - Viewed by 6.2K users

Welcome to the secret forum! As a thank you for pre-ordering, we've created this little backstage area where you can hang out with the development team, keep an eye on the development of Tales of Monkey Island, and hopefully get your hands on things before we go wide with them to the public.

First off, though, let's start a Q&A thread!

Any questions you've got for the development team, ask 'em here!
We'll try to dogpile this thread with high quality facts and higher quality lies conversation!

1.5K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @seanvanaman said: This is the most sequential, interconnected story Telltale's ever told. Mike and Mark have a glorious plan for the arc of the entire season and we hope to be revealing as many questions as we do answers to the series' questions every month. I get psyched just thinking about it.

Woah, woah, woah. I'm getting all filled with fanboy tension... One of the main things that EFMI did wrong was totally screwing around with the Monkey Island universe. It rewrote the history of the much-beloved first game, for example... even though we'd all played it!

Surely it would be wiser to step away from the hallowed-ground of the earlier games and start setting up your own mythology with these characters?

...guess it's too late now, though! Lol. :)

(*Crosses his fingers and hopes for the best* -- I'm still damned excited!)

• Okay, I'm about to start a new rumor. I think that Ron Gilbert is going to make a Monkey Island 5, and it's going to "fix" the trajectory of the story arc to include his vision of how the story was supposed to (but ultimately didn't) continue after M.I. 2.

We already have the following info...:

- Ron Gilbert has previously stated that if he had a chance, he'd have done a sequel that "rights all the wrongs" with the story arc.
    - Mr. Gilbert was consulted before making Tales, i.e. he participated in brainstorming sessions.
    - It has been stated in this very forum by members of the Tales dev team, that the SECRET of Monkey Island is "for Ron Gilbert to tell". Or something to that effect.
    - Tales will skip directly to being considered "Part 6". Monkey Island 5 will presumably be an "imaginary" prequel to Tales.

My theory is that this "imaginary prequel" thing will be a convenient device to allow Ron and LucasArts to shoehorn their 40-hour sweeping tale in between part 4 and "Tales".

Please somebody tell me if I'm at least warm.

• If Ron would do that, one of the changes would be to not have Guybrush and Elaine in a relationship

And they are still married in TMI, so I think it's not the case...
    Nice theory though :)

• @ttg_Stemmle said: Oh, and no Monkey Kombat. I promise. Pinky swear. I've learned my lesson, really.

Ack Chee Oop?

@ttg_Stemmle said: I know I'm the only human on the face of the Earth that can say this, but I enjoyed the Monkey Island mini-games.

That makes two of us then.
    I loved the monkey combat.

• @Junaid said: If Ron would do that, one of the changes would be to not have Guybrush and Elaine in a relationship

And they are still married in TMI, so I think it's not the case...
    Nice theory though :)

I realize that he could not undo the marriage (it's well known that Ron didn't approve of the marriage... if he had been invited, he would have raised his hand during the "If anybody has just cause..." part of the ceremony).

I'm talking about the convoluted way in which the MI 2's esoteric ending was just explained away in CMI. CMI's story was not Ron's original vision of how the story would continue -- the entire story arc would have been very different if Ron had been invited to the party. But it may not be too late -- there are still creative ways in which a very clever story-teller such as Ron could fix things. But like you said, he'd still have to compromise on the marriage thing. :-)

Even if he doesn't attempt to "fix" anything, I still think he's going to do MI 5. And while he's at it, he may just give away the big *secret* (or invent one).

• User Avatar Image
    seanvanaman Telltale Staff

I think Mark and Mike have constructed the character's with both classic and new motivations -- Tales is definitely a story that stands on it's own. The questions and answers I mentioned shouldn't be interpreted as us referring to old canon OR as us turning this into a monkey-tastic version of Lost -- just that each episode is interconnected and that there are both episode wide AND season wide arcs for your savory consumption. And in my humble opinion, they're deeeeelicious.

(This is just me speaking, Mark and Mike have their own opinions, I'm sure) It's always a delicate balance when you return to a beloved series: we want to make something that sits alongside what you know and love, but is also new and interesting. We want to be canonical, but also tell a new story. Bottom line, we want the Monkey fans who have been waiting all this time to finish each episode feeling like we did right by them. Hopefully you guys do!

• It's not the Ron "wasn't invited" to the party. He left the party. I bear him no ill will of any kind, and would love to see what he'd do with a new MI game of his own, but I don't expect the other people who worked on the series to abandon it just because Gilbert struck out on his own.

• User Avatar Image
    Ry Guy Telltale Staff

@Tjibbbe said:
    First off, what was the reasoning behind giving Guybrush his current look? I like the tradition of Guybrush looking different in every game he appears in, and I have to say I'm absolutely in love with how he looks right now. The weird cross between his CMI/MI2-look really works for some reason. But yeah, how many versions of the new Guybrush were there, and what made you decide that this look was the one you wanted?
    !

Well, we took into account the way people responded to the previous looks of Guybrush. Most people really dug his blue jacket and look from 2. Many people didn't like the tall lanky version from 3, but we still wanted to stylize and have it feel like Guybrush. His real personality, for me, came out when he finally had a spoken voice. We also wanted to have him seem older because this is essentially after MI5. He just came across as creepy with a beard. I had fun drawing him regardless the way he looks. I have a sheet of old Guybrush drawings laying around here I'll see about posting. Once Guybrush was designed, he served as something to gauge everyone else off of (i.e. Elaine compliments his shape)

• I have a question for you guys that shouldn't be spoilerish. Does this game go back to the feel of the first two games, the last two, or is it a unique beast all it's own?

It sounds like you're more interested in continuing the story rather than making a game chock full of what the fans want (which I agree with). I'm all for a quality fresh product versus everybody getting their favorite character cameo.

• @Ry Guy said: Well, we took into account the way people responded to the previous looks of Guybrush. Most people really dug his blue jacket and look from 2. Many people didn't like the tall lanky version from 3, but we still wanted to stylize and have it feel like Guybrush. His real personality, for me, came out when he finally had a spoken voice. We also wanted to have him seem older because this is essentially after MI5. He just came across as creepy with a beard. I had fun drawing him regardless the way he looks. I have a sheet of old Guybrush drawings laying around here I'll see about posting. Once Guybrush was designed, he served as something to gauge everyone else off of (i.e. Elaine compliments his shape)

Great concept art by the way! :)
    Curse of Monkey Island was the reason I started to really work on my drawing skills, so the art of Monkey Island was always important to me. After seeing the art for TMI, a lot of the inspiration I thought was gone, came back so thanks for that :)

Add Comment