User Avatar Image

Q&A With the Team

posted by Jake on - last edited - Viewed by 8.4K users

Welcome to the secret forum! As a thank you for pre-ordering, we've created this little backstage area where you can hang out with the development team, keep an eye on the development of Tales of Monkey Island, and hopefully get your hands on things before we go wide with them to the public.

First off, though, let's start a Q&A thread!

Any questions you've got for the development team, ask 'em here!
We'll try to dogpile this thread with high quality facts and higher quality lies conversation!

1.5K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Random comment: I'm glad I'm not the only one who keeps misreading this forum's title as the "Pirate Privates Club".

• The first thing i thought was, Why ... not ... LOOM...! :'(
    But I love MI quite as much and have great confidence in you guys, really.
    Two tiny questions (sorry if they might be stated before, but the only oney who have to read this massive thread is you...muahaha.)

1. Are the puzzles going to be as easy as in your other games? Or are we getting some real point&click Adventure finesse?
    2. Judging from the video (which might be shots from an early alpha/beta?) the scenes look as clean/empty as in Wallace&Gromit. What I loved about all the older Adventures was, that there was a lot of eyecandy in the background. Any chance of having some?
    3. Why not Loom?

• Ok, guys, I'm pestering the forums with this question, now that I've bought the game I think this is the right thread and forum section where to ask:
    the choice of using so few polygons for the models, expecially for inanimated ones, is due to limitations of the engine, limitations of time, pure choice (unlikely) or simply the space limitations for the Wii Ware?
    Please Telltale, answer to this one!

Thanks anyway, love ya guys!

• @Shale said: It's not the Ron "wasn't invited" to the party. He left the party. I bear him no ill will of any kind, and would love to see what he'd do with a new MI game of his own, but I don't expect the other people who worked on the series to abandon it just because Gilbert struck out on his own.

I wouldn't expect that either. It's just that he's mentioned previously that he would have liked to have been consulted for part 3, to complete his vision of the story. He never seemed upset about it, it was just a wish. So I think it's cool that they made a point of inviting him to participate in TMI, and moving forward it would make sense for him to make a MI 5, since it almost seems like the Telltale team *want* him to tell the sweeping 40-hour epic that part 5 is supposed to be.

I dunno, just guesses/predictions. I'm not married to the idea -- at this point I'm just so glad that the excellent Telltale team has picked up the gauntlet.

• User Avatar Image
    seanvanaman Telltale Staff

@Guybrush_Threepwood said: Ok, guys, I'm pestering the forums with this question, now that I've bought the game I think this is the right thread and forum section where to ask:
    the choice of using so few polygons for the models, expecially for inanimated ones, is due to limitations of the engine, limitations of time, pure choice (unlikely) or simply the space limitations for the Wii Ware?
    Please Telltale, answer to this one!

Thanks anyway, love ya guys!

Hopefully Wallace shows a taste of what our engine is capable of... ;) But yes, we do have to do a bit of economizing for Wii Ware.

Also -- even though July 7 is around the corner, there is still stuff going into the game every day that just rocks -- games get awesome FAST and there's going to be a lot of stuff shipping with the game that we haven't shown yet, from the way environments animate, to FX and the like.

• User Avatar Image
    MarkDarin Telltale Staff

@Tjibbbe said:
    First off, what was the reasoning behind giving Guybrush his current look? I like the tradition of Guybrush looking different in every game he appears in, and I have to say I'm absolutely in love with how he looks right now. The weird cross between his CMI/MI2-look really works for some reason.

You hit the nail on the head! Right from the begining we decided we wanted to shoot for a look that fell somewhere between MI2 & CMI. These are generally most people's favorites (Often depending on which one they actually played first.) We wanted to keep a bit of the lankiness that kind of defined Guybrush in CMI, and couple it with that Iconic coat & beard we saw in MI2 (That is if you squinted enough).

• @seanvanaman said: But yes, we do have to do a bit of economizing for Wii Ware.

:(

3char

• @seanvanaman said: Hopefully Wallace shows a taste of what our engine is capable of... ;) But yes, we do have to do a bit of economizing for Wii Ware.

Also -- even though July 7 is around the corner, there is still stuff going into the game every day that just rocks -- games get awesome FAST and there's going to be a lot of stuff shipping with the game that we haven't shown yet, from the way environments animate, to FX and the like.

I perfectly understand, and can't wait to play the game (you made more curious now :p)
    Thanks for answering, and congratulations to all of you guys at Telltale! :D

• @MarkDarin said: You hit the nail on the head! Right from the begining we decided we wanted to shoot for a look that fell somewhere between MI2 & CMI. These are generally most people's favorites (Often depending on which one they actually played first.) We wanted to keep a bit of the lankiness that kind of defined Guybrush in CMI, and couple it with that Iconic coat & beard we saw in MI2 (That is if you squinted enough).

Perfect choice, imo! And I've always been with MI2 Guybrush! Absolutely love his look!

• User Avatar Image
    seanvanaman Telltale Staff

@Guybrush Threepwood said: :(

3char

Cheer up, buttercup. You'll never even notice.

Add Comment