User Avatar Image

Q&A With the Team

posted by Jake on - last edited - Viewed by 11K users

Welcome to the secret forum! As a thank you for pre-ordering, we've created this little backstage area where you can hang out with the development team, keep an eye on the development of Tales of Monkey Island, and hopefully get your hands on things before we go wide with them to the public.

First off, though, let's start a Q&A thread!

Any questions you've got for the development team, ask 'em here!
We'll try to dogpile this thread with high quality facts and higher quality lies conversation!

1.5K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Someone release the ToMI Theme .mp3 already! :(

• User Avatar Image
    Sky

question, are you guys privy to the release date of Lucas Arts re-release of the original Monkey Island adventure??

• @seanvanaman said: Cheer up, buttercup. You'll never even notice.

Would it be at all possible to have a higher rez option in the PC version?

• @seanvanaman said: Cheer up, buttercup. You'll never even notice.

But Guybrush's sleeves are 8-sided prisms! We've already noticed, too late! :p
    Sorry, off topic, sorry!!! :D

• @Guybrush_Threepwood said: But Guybrush's sleeves are 8-sided prisms! We've already noticed, too late! :p

Too bad geometry shaders for tesselation are only being added in DirectX 11; otherwise it should be easy to turn that 8 sided prism into a 64-sided one on the graphics card... :)

Still - my urge to buy a Wii then throw it off a cliff or something for hampering PC games is rising steadily... :D

Oh wait - where's the next volcano?

np: The Wooden Birds - The Other One (Magnolia)

• How do the puzzles compare with the old games, or are they more in line with your Sam & Max puzzles? Do you have an overarching philosophy on the challenge and gameplay aspect of TMI? Any new types of puzzling?

I personally really hope you are putting a lot of effort into nice, challenging open-ended puzzles that stand up to the old style and not making it really easy and hand-holding for the lowest common audience.

• @freerad22 said: Would it be at all possible to have a higher rez option in the PC version?

Aaaah... Fans are always eager to give games makers twice as much work. :rolleyes:

Bumping on the subject of the rendering abilities of Telltale's engine, most of the games I've seen from you guys (from Bones to Sam & Max and screenshots/artworks of this new Monkey Island game) seem to just rely on rendering coloured polygons, with the occasional texture here and there.
    By no means would I demean the artistic direction of your games, and I think this cartoonish simplicity fits them quite well actually, but I'm certain during your tests, fooling around with the games engine, you tried a cell-shading-style rendering.
    Would you mind telling us why you didn't kept it in the end? Is it because you wanted to make sure those games could run on even the most humble PCs (you know, those with dreadfully incapable but cheap Integrated Graphics Chips, which immediately overheat if next to them you put a piece of paper with the word 'shader' written on it)? I know (for having worked on a project for it) that the Wii is more than able to handle a cell-shading-style rendering. Or is it purely an artistic decision? Those games being very cartoonish, I'd have thought such a rendering style would suit them just fine.

Thanks!
    (and sorry if the question has already been asked over and over again elsewhere on the forums :p I must admit I didn't read them all)

• @Erwin said: The only thing I'm wondering at the moment is how on earth you managed to keep this quiet for so long.

I second that, I was wondering this also. For how long has the game been in development now?

• I'm still kinda on cloud 9 so questions aren't coming as easy as praise and excitement but here are a few anyway :)

1) It was mentioned that the Lucasarts Secret of Monkey Island remake was getting not just the sound of Michael Land, but a full orchestra too? Is Tales also getting that orchestra treatment? I know you have Mr. Land helping you but will you also get a full (perhaps monkey filled) orchestra?

2) This is kind of a subjective question and general feeling - I happened to think Curse of Monkey Island had the most random/absurdist humor which I LOVED. While SoMI was my favorite of the series overall, CoMI was the most funny to me. MI2 was a bit darker to me, in both theme and humor. In terms of humor, which game would you say ToMI is closer to? Again, subjective and I don't really expect a real answer as much as opinions from the staff.

3) Will we ever find what rhymes with 'orange' so that the crew from CoMI can continue their singing? :D

• @der_ketzer said: That makes two of us then.
    I loved the monkey combat.

*Over-the-Internet high five*

Add Comment