User Avatar Image

Q&A With the Team

posted by Jake on - last edited - Viewed by 13.5K users

Welcome to the secret forum! As a thank you for pre-ordering, we've created this little backstage area where you can hang out with the development team, keep an eye on the development of Tales of Monkey Island, and hopefully get your hands on things before we go wide with them to the public.

First off, though, let's start a Q&A thread!

Any questions you've got for the development team, ask 'em here!
We'll try to dogpile this thread with high quality facts and higher quality lies conversation!

1.5K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @MystMonkey said: Will we ever find what rhymes with 'orange' so that the crew from CoMI can continue their singing? :D

<===

I applaud the Curse team for coming up with door-hinge. I know it doesn't technically rhyme, but it's pretty darn good:

The cap'n burst in, lookin' like he'd kick down the door-hinge
    "We'll surely avoid scurvy if we all eat an or-inge!"

• User Avatar Image
    Seg

Hello! Your friendly build engineer checking in!

@freerad22 said: Would it be at all possible to have a higher rez option in the PC version?

Short Answer:
    Doesn't matter on Windows; Your computer's hardware is the limit.

Seg's Long Answer™:
    The way things work is that we have one core set of data of the highest quality the art/sound personal makes. When it gets to my desk, it's up to the packaging process to take that data and deal with it working on the target platforms.

For the Wii, the compression dials are turned up quite a bit due to the limitations of WiiWare itself (40mb max) and of the limited power of the graphics. There's also a point where a certain amount of texture data makes no difference. Even in component and widescreen, the Wii is still at a very low display resolution.

On the Windows side of things, the dials are very low if not at zero; Enough to take the edge off. The quality at that point is all on your computer's specifications and your screen/speakers.

I should note that we've changed how audio is done since and including Strong Bad. Before the audio was pre-compressed and fixed for all builds/platforms. Now the sound is re-compressed at build time with each platform having different compression ratios. While this increased the time it takes to make a build, we're in a lot more control of how little or much sound is compressed.

For WiiWare, we turn the dials a little high to fit the 40mb cap. Within the production cycle, we start with a blanket compression, then start tweaking by character and then individual lines. On Windows, it's a blanket small amount of compression to take the edge off, but usually leave it be; It's just that good.

If you didn't like the sound quality in Sam & Max Season 1 and 2, it's gotten a lot better!

• Are you going to release a soundtrack CD for Tales of Monkey Island?

• @taoa said:
    -snipped-
    3) Will we have a bit of 320x200, 16 colours, full 2D moment in one of the episodes of the game? For old times sake?
    Or more simply, in this bit in The Curse Of Monkey Island, when Guybrush looks through a hole in the ceiling of a cave (or similar, fading memories you see...) and says "Whoa, you should see that, full realistic 3D". Now, in one of the new 3D episodes, we could see the 2D head of an old-style guybrush popping out of the ground saying that same thing again. A little wink to the old fan(rt)s.

Cheers!

Say like a room with a stunningly rendered group of 3d Jaguars? and a CMI Guybrush head peeking through a crack...

• @RockNRoll said: How do the puzzles compare with the old games, or are they more in line with your Sam & Max puzzles? Do you have an overarching philosophy on the challenge and gameplay aspect of TMI? Any new types of puzzling?

I personally really hope you are putting a lot of effort into nice, challenging open-ended puzzles that stand up to the old style and not making it really easy and hand-holding for the lowest common audience.

The puzzles will be more brain bendy than Sam & Max, but I can comfortably say you won't be using a monkey as a wrench to turn off a waterfall. Inventory combination is in, and you can go deep-diving in dialog trees to your heart's content. I don't know how it will end up comparing to the old Monkey games, but we are over the course of the series definitely pushing the tone of the puzzles a bit further back into the classic realm of hurting you a bit before they reveal their secrets than people who know us might expect.

Of course, the Telltale hint system is also there as it is in all of our games, so if you decide that in your old age you'd rather be entertained by a Monkey Island game without it crushing your very soul in the process, you can turn the hint frequency up. :) (Alternatively, you can turn hints off, too, of course.)

• WiiWare files are limited to 40MB, I read...
    The question is, is it likely that the pc episodes will be sized like that? Honestly, it seems a little weird to me, since the S&M episodes were often sized over 100 MB! (no, the "!" sign is not a factorial, it's just a "!").
    It would sound like a little step back.

• The PC and WiiWare releases will be based on the same original high quality master data set, and then we'll be wrestling it to the ground and stuffing it in a 40 meg box to put on WiiWare. We've done a few tests and it's already running and looking pretty nice. I think Wii customers will be confused/surprised by what jumps out of that box.

• User Avatar Image
    Seg

@Guybrush_Threepwood said: WiiWare files are limited to 40MB, I read...
    The question is, is it likely that the pc episodes will be sized like that? Honestly, it seems a little weird to me, since the S&M episodes were often sized over 100 MB! (no, the "!" sign is not a factorial, it's just a "!").
    It would sound like a little step back.

The PC versions of Strong Bad were around 70mb - 110mb per episode. Strong Bad wasn't texture heavy as Sam & Max is.

• @Seg said: The PC versions of Strong Bad were around 70mb - 110mb per episode. Strong Bad wasn't texture heavy as Sam & Max is.

I'll be very interesting to see how you get MI down to 40 Megs. I imagine piratical settings—wood, palm trees, sand—would be hard to render well without a lot of different textures.

Looking forward to seeing it!

Add Comment