User Avatar Image

Frustrated with chase sequences

posted by Anonymous on - last edited - Viewed by 332 users

I can't believe that there is no way around the chase sequences. If your audience is adventure gamers this really puts a lot of us off. You would think after the 20th time of getting caught by the rats there would be a bypass option. Not to mention that the game keeps getting minimized at crucial times due to the cursor placement. Also there is no time to save the game before it launches into the chase sequence- VERY FRUSTRATING.

10 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

Strange, I had no problems. I thought the chase sequences and especially the backing-away-from-the-rat-creatures sequence were very clever.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

I'm trapped in the rat scene... impossible!!! T_____T

I am very extreme with the mouse... it always ends up minimizing the window... and I end up in spots that are impossible to escape from without being eaten. Souldn't trees and rocks slow down the rat creatures as well? o_O

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

I foubd that if your desktop resolution matches Bone's resolution (which I think is 1024 x 768) that the mouse curse popup and sudden desktop access in the rat chase scene goes away.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]I'm trapped in the rat scene... impossible!!! T_____T

I am very extreme with the mouse... it always ends up minimizing the window... and I end up in spots that are impossible to escape from without being eaten. Souldn't trees and rocks slow down the rat creatures as well? o_O[/quote]

just remember you can jump between the tree trunks! i was having trouble till i realised that. good luck!

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

I'm having a lot of trouble with this sequence. I wish I could use the keyboard to control these sequences. I wonder how well playtested this part was?

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]Also there is no time to save the game before it launches into the chase sequence[/quote]

Yes, but you CAN save once the chase has started (saving several times during the run won't help though, as the chase will restart when loading the savegame, but still, you can immediately start at the beginning of the scene).

When the "leaving to desktop"-problem occurs to often, try restarting the game and loading the save. That should do the trick.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]I foubd that if your desktop resolution matches Bone's resolution (which I think is 1024 x 768) that the mouse curse popup and sudden desktop access in the rat chase scene goes away.[/quote]

I have not tried 1024x768. I use 1600x1200 for my desktop, and it minimizes for me! Very frustrating! I had to run the chase sequences in windowed mode! Even then, it was still difficult to complete them. They need to lock the full-screen mode using a DirectX call. No one should need to play this game windowed.

Bugs...
    When you first meet the two RAT Creatures, something weird happened. I was clicking to move Fone Bone, and when the Rat creature picked him up, he slid off screen and to the back of the creatures. The creatures still acted like he was in front of them! lol! I had to reload before the Rat Creatures, to get Fone Bone to appear correctly again! This bug happened several times and I can reproduce it!

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

I don't think there should be skipping of these scenes - they are puzzles.

The issues need to be addressed, better control definitely (MOUSE FILTER, MOUSE SPEED, KEYBOARD CONTROLS!!!) but they are easy and fun - you need to figure out the combinations of 'prop pieces' in the case of the chase and a way to escape the creatures ...these are cool puzzles. Just think about these and they shouldn't be too hard!!!

• if anything these should be made easier

• For what it's worth, we haven't included anything like this chase in any of our games since Out from Boneville came out in 2005. :D

A lot of people didn't like it, so we've gone on to find other, more puzzle-y ways to do scenes like this (for example, the cow race in the second Bone game, and a race that I can't talk about yet, other than to say it'll be showing up in a future game...)

Add Comment