User Avatar Image

Questions for Dominic Armato!

posted by Jake on - last edited - Viewed by 7.7K users

If you see a guy with the username "dmnkly" skulking around, it's probably Dominic Armato, (better known as) the voice of Guybrush Threepwood!

If you've got any questions for Dom or just want to say hello, drop 'em here!

Dom answers! Let's take a look...

[LIST]
[*]First round of answers! June 1st
[*]Second round of answers! June 2nd
[*]Third round of answers! June 2nd -- again!
[*]Fourth round of answers! June 3rd
[*]Fifth round of answers! June 4th
[*]Sixth round of answers! June 4th -- again!
[*]Seventh round of answers! June 5th
[/LIST]

I don't know when this will end, but that's a lot of answered questions so far! Check those to see if your question has already been answered!

690 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • 1. Guybrush and Elaine .. married.

Too soon? Too late? Shouldnt have happened? yOUR CAWMENTS ? (a.k.a comments)

2. Whose idea was it for you to answer alllllllllllllll these questions

• Hi Dom, glad to hear your voice, just bought the game. :)?
    Everything looks great about the game, xept one thing, how you feel about guybrushes new look? Its kinda too different form the classic ones, that the only complaint atm :( Dont you think so?

• @Fury said: 1 - Have YOU preordered Monkey Island 5?

Nope. Being Guybrush has its perks. (I hope!)

@Fury said: 2 - Are you psyched about Brutal Legend also?

I'm psyched about anything Tim Schafer does. Including scratching himself.

@Fury said: 3 - If you could be any type of donut, what would it be?

Hmmm... my favorite growing up was the Chocolate Long John, but that's just creepy coming from a 33 year old, so given my future home, I'll go with my old second-stringer, the Boston Creme.

Actually, that's not much better.

Ah, who am I kidding. I'm filled with jelly.

(Just stop now.)

@Fury said: So, Dominic, what was retirement like for you during your MI draught?

Oh, you know, living life. I did VO in California until 2001, a few games, a few shows, plenty of commercials. Had a recurring role on Rocket Power for a few seasons. Then I decided it was time to come home to Chicago, did some work for the family business, kept up with commercial VO (not much character work in Chicago), got married, had kids... you know the drill. Now I pretty much follow my wife around since she's super smart and squeeze in some VO when I can. Little ones are, predictably, a great drain on time to do much else.

@Fury said: Why did I not recognize your voice in Crysis?

Because I was doing my job :-) Actually, I'm glad you didn't notice. That means I did well. But I wasn't any of the lead characters. Just random pilots/marines/scientists, that kind of thing. You never would have heard more than a line or two from me at a time, which might have something to do with it. Plus, a lot of them would have been screaming, and while I'm sure a burly marine loosing a girly Guybrush-like scream while being ripped to shreds by some manner of alien weapon would be amusing to you, I'm quite certain it would be less so to the guys at Crytek. I was mo-capped, though, which is pretty sweet!

@Fury said: As a follow-up to that answer: Regarding VO or dubbing (those two are different, aren't they?) I was always wondering, if any of the already recorded lines are played to the actors in the booth, just to get the reaction just right, OR if maybe the director reads the counter-part... I couldn't make that out from your answer.

Ehhh, not so much. You certainly don't have pre-recorded lines fed to you (which wouldn't even be an option if you recorded first), though I'll sometimes ask to hear a quick sample of the other character if he's been recorded already just so I have an idea of what I'm playing against. Of course, context is SUPER important, so whenever it isn't clear exactly what I'm reacting to, I ask. Hopefully whoever's running the session knows. With TMI, I ask for read-in lines whenever possible. Not because I need an actor to play against, but just so I know exactly what I'm responding to. But it isn't like we sit there and read through a script in dialogue fashion.

@Fury said: Is your console still working?

Working and getting a workout lately! Mass Effect. I'm... uh... a little behind.

@Fury said: You've already answered the question about the french voice actor, but have you ever heard the german voice of Guybrush?
    If so, do you think he does your work any justice?

Can't say because I've never heard it. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever heard any of the localized versions. Or if I have, it was a loooong time ago and I've long forgotten.

@Fury said: 1. Guybrush and Elaine .. married.

Too soon? Too late? Shouldnt have happened? yOUR CAWMENTS ? (a.k.a comments)

This is a really tough thing. Of course, Ron has said publicly that he didn't think they should have gotten married, and of course I understand that. Even setting aside his feeling that she saw him as more of a kid brother (though after that scene on the dock, that's a little... um... creepy), it's a resolution of dramatic tension. On the other hand, we've made a bunch of these games now. You have to resolve something along the line, and I think it's less a matter of do they or don't they and more a matter of how it's handled.

@Fury said: Everything looks great about the game, xept one thing, how you feel about guybrushes new look? Its kinda too different form the classic ones, that the only complaint atm :( Dont you think so?

I don't, and the reason is that while you need to honor the history, you also need to give the designers some leeway to do their thing. The people working on these games are artists, and if they feel too constricted by canon, that's stifling from a creative standpoint. I mean, nobody wants a musclebound hulk of a burly pirate for Guybrush, but for me, part of the fun is seeing how different design teams approach the MI world. Comic book characters, for example, will go through transitions and updates and such as different writers and artists take over the storyline, and that keeps it dynamic and interesting. I don't see why this should be any different. You'll have your favorites and those you don't like quite as much, but I much prefer that his look not remain static.

Clearly, however, voice is another situation. The voice should always be provided by the same actor. Always. Always. (always.)

If I skipped your question, it's because (I think) it was already answered upthread.

Keep 'em coming!

• @Dmnkly said:
    Clearly, however, voice is another situation. The voice should always be provided by the same actor. Always. Always. (always.)

And you think the writers are funnier than you? You clearly don't know your own comedic strength.

• In Rocket Power you didn't actually say any words, you just kinda mumbled. Was that easier or harder as an actor?

(look at that, a proper question from me! :eek: Is that a sign of the apocolypse?)

• Are you going to make your kids play the whole MI series + Tales of MI

Has your wife played the whole series

• It is comforting to see that the voice of Guybrush Threepwood, Might Pirate!, is in professional and capable hands. I have to ask you a question Dominic: What other acting or voice acting jobs did you do outside of the Monkey Island games?

John McCluskey from Montreal, QC

• Which Guybrush design is your favourite?
    @Dmnkly said: Tossup between MI2:LCR and CMI. I'm leaning MI2. The coat fricking rocks.

But it's a girlie coat... Amanda in "Jack Keane" wears the same outfit ;)

• Hey Dom, im (as all the guys here) a big fan of MI and i did my preorder also. Im living in ARGENTINA (indeed its a country way down in the south). Can u send me and my bro (Sebius) a greeting? (it looks like Guybrush is talking to us... just in our imagination, but). Regards, keep up the good work and see u in the remake of the Monkey II :D!!!

• My name is Bobbin. Are you my mother?

Add Comment