User Avatar Image

Questions for Dominic Armato!

posted by Jake on - last edited - Viewed by 6.7K users

If you see a guy with the username "dmnkly" skulking around, it's probably Dominic Armato, (better known as) the voice of Guybrush Threepwood!

If you've got any questions for Dom or just want to say hello, drop 'em here!

Dom answers! Let's take a look...

[LIST]
[*]First round of answers! June 1st
[*]Second round of answers! June 2nd
[*]Third round of answers! June 2nd -- again!
[*]Fourth round of answers! June 3rd
[*]Fifth round of answers! June 4th
[*]Sixth round of answers! June 4th -- again!
[*]Seventh round of answers! June 5th
[/LIST]

I don't know when this will end, but that's a lot of answered questions so far! Check those to see if your question has already been answered!

690 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Thank you for letting him do the voice for this installment.

So Dom, are you doing any other projects, besides Monkey Island, at the moment?

(I hope this question hasn't been asked before, I just can't be bothered to flick through all these posts XD)

• Hi Dominic, just dropping by to say you do a brilliant job and that you ARE Guybrush, if Guybrush had a different voice then it just wouldn't be right.

Quick question, someone already mentioned "Plank of Love" from Monkey Island 3 but there was also a scene cut from the game before the last level, a storyboard exists for this and rumoured is that the script for this scene was done to, some even say that an old promo for Monkey Island 3 briefly shows a clip from this scene. so the question is, what the hell happened to this scene and what really happened, how did Guybrush get on the rollercoaster?

• two questions this time

1) Are you the reason that Van Helgin says the tenor that used to be in the barbery coast quartet was called Dominic? Do you sing Tenor at all?

2) Are you getting tired of these questions (because you better not be ;) ), or are you possibly worried about what may be asked?

• @serweet said: [...]or are you possibly worried about what may be asked?

Like probing questions about your dark past?

What ever happened to your sister anyway? And why have you never been photographed with her suspected killer Donnald Ackart, who shares your birth-date and general description?

• Just a heads up, guys -- I think Dom is in the studio today recording the dialog for episode 2 -- so don't be surprised if his currently crazy schedule of updating this thread multiple times a day is interrupted :)

• hey Dom.
    this series is as old as i am and these games have followed me through my life!
    My girlfriend loves them and we play them together sometimes.
    i just wanted to thank you for bringing this awesome character to life and i hope to see so much more of monkey island!
    monkey island 3 still my favorite but mostly because it was my first.... kind of like first love....
    i guess i'm saying "thanks for being my first love dom!" :P
    hope you have fun making this new series!

oh and a question:
    do you ever forget yourself in character as guybrush?
    and furthermore, has the wife ever asked you to play him, like say, in bed? x)
    don't have to answer the last one, just thought it would be a good followup :P

• This is awesome! I can't wait to play more MI XD
    I enjoyed MI so much I was inspired to make my own adventure game!
    There's no question that it will contain tributes to the series. Once its further into its development, would you be interested in doing a short dialogue as Guybrush, Dominic? That would be so epic!

• Ooo already recording episode 2.

Telltale, you guys really do a great job at releasing episodic games. By far, you guys are leading the way for other developers in terms of episodic content. Other companies, such as Valve, have the right idea, but TAKE FREAKING 2 YEARS BETWEEN EACH EPISODE! GAH!..

Oh yeah another question.

Have you played ALL the old Scumm games? Or just monkey island?

• Being in a lead designer in a big company that has never really used voice actors, are you stealable and bribable (as in can we beat and strike you with frozen tuna) to make voices for our games it the opportunity ever comes? Or do we need to go all the boring way of contacting your agent, poisoning his food and contacting you because you don't have an agent?

I have nothing in mind, just wondering how easy it is it to communicate with you on those matters?

• Not really much to ask, more of a heads up. My first MI game was MI3 and so I my first acquaintance with the Guybrush character was with voice and all and I wouldn't be able to see Guybrush without hearing that voice ever again. The introduction "I'm Guybrush Threepwood. A mighty pirate!" will always stick to my head. And (quite randomly) "I've got five death cards. That can't be good." upon inspecting tarot cards. Apart from Murray's "MWUAHAHAH!" of course.
    "You're about as fearsome as a doorstop."
    Murray: "Is it a really EVIL-looking doorstop?"
    "[sigh] Never mind."
    I think it will be hard to swallow Guybrush with a different voice.

Now coming to mind, I do have some things to ask: as in many games next to artists there are writers (quests/story/dialogue). How much improvisation are you, as a voice actor, allowed to have? Are you maybe even free to add jokes/lines on your own or are you tied to the script? And if you were allowed to, would you still remember anything in particular that you added to the dialogues?

Add Comment