User Avatar Image

Questions for Dominic Armato!

posted by Jake on - last edited - Viewed by 7.7K users

If you see a guy with the username "dmnkly" skulking around, it's probably Dominic Armato, (better known as) the voice of Guybrush Threepwood!

If you've got any questions for Dom or just want to say hello, drop 'em here!

Dom answers! Let's take a look...

[LIST]
[*]First round of answers! June 1st
[*]Second round of answers! June 2nd
[*]Third round of answers! June 2nd -- again!
[*]Fourth round of answers! June 3rd
[*]Fifth round of answers! June 4th
[*]Sixth round of answers! June 4th -- again!
[*]Seventh round of answers! June 5th
[/LIST]

I don't know when this will end, but that's a lot of answered questions so far! Check those to see if your question has already been answered!

690 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Laserkid said: Since you're recording episode 2 now (dont worry wont ask you details on WHAT - I work for sprint, I'm familiar with an NDA) and thus have seen a bit of whats there, how much back refferencing have you seen in Guybrush's dialogue (I know from telltale interviews Guybrush looks for Murray in skull piles)? I enjoy these strange continuous things so just curious how that is going in a general sense.

My impression is that it's mostly self-contained in a way that means it won't be the least bit confusing for first-timers, but there have already been plenty of sly references -- the type that will silently fly over a newbie's head while giving old-timers a good chuckle.

@Laserkid said: aren't you getting tired of everybody kissing your Butt in here?

I'm getting a little tired of it, but my butt's having the time of its life.

@Laserkid said: Is your laptop/pc filled with MI themes

Not so much. I obsessively save all of the images, movies and sound files I can get my hands on, but I'm not one for flashy themes. If they ever make a Guybrush action figure, though, I'm mounting it on my laptop cover like a hood ornament.

@Laserkid said: My question is - being a fan of the MI series, does being involved in the production kind of take away some of the fun of actually playing the games for you? In particular, already knowing all the Guybrush dialog...

Not really. Even though I'm in almost every single scene and have seen half of the dialogue, you'd be surprised by how inadequate a sense that gives me of what the final game will look like. I haven't seen the environments. I haven't seen all of the characters. I haven't heard any voices other than my own. I've seen my half of the conversations, with a few lead-in lines here and there. I haven't heard the music, I haven't seen the animations, and I don't even know how to solve most of the puzzles. Does reading a brief synopsis of a film and seeing a couple of clips ruin a movie for you? I suppose it might, if shocking plot twists are an important part of it. But more often than not, it just makes you excited to actually see the real thing.

@Laserkid said: Do you know the context of lines when you perform them and do you record them in order?

Context is all-important and I look for as much of it as possible. Lead-in lines, setting the scene -- even how far away I am from the person I'm talking to. It's easy to nail the read if I have a clear picture in my head of exactly what's going on, but getting that picture can be a challenge sometimes. Generally speaking, the director has seen the most recent build of the game and is familiar with all of the scenes and I'm not, so I ask what I think I need to know and then have to trust that s/he will correct me if something about my read is incongruous with the scene.

In terms of recording the lines in order, what's in order? :-) It isn't like a film where every line comes before a specific line and after another. You can visit locations in the order you choose, view and use items at any time, speak to the people you want to speak to, and even choose dialogue options within a conversation. The only thing that's possible to put in order are chunks of dialogue that take place without player interaction, and those are few, far between and generally very short. So interactive scripts are a hodgepodge. The developers try to group things as logically as possible (usually by scene or room) and keep chunks of dialogue intact whenever possible, but you can only do so much. Nature of the work.

@Laserkid said: I started making my own fan version of a MI game a few years ago but stopped after realising that even if I finished it, It wouldn't be fun to play as I knew all the secrets!

That being said, if I ever resurrected it, what are your rates? :)

Union scale... www.aftra.org :-)

@Laserkid said: Dominic - Have you ever played any of the Metal Gear Solid series games?

Just Metal Gear Solid on the original PlayStation. I dug it, but not enough to make me a big fan of the series. I was in MGS2, but never quite managed to play it.

If I didn't answer your question, it's probably beacuse I answered it upthread, but I might've missed it -- ask again if I did!

• @Dmnkly said: If they ever make a Guybrush action figure, though, I'm mounting it on my laptop cover like a hood ornament.

Well, I've got good news for you, man:

img_1096-247x300.jpg

More info: http://www.symbiotestudios.com/blog/?p=1407

• How does it feel to hear your voice coming through Guybrush's lips? A little disconcerting? A little too awesome?

Also, what puzzle in the adventure games you've played has stumped you the most? (Not sure if these have been asked before.)

• @Dmnkly said: I was in MGS2, but never quite managed to play it.

Haha funny coincidence, Earl Boen is also in MGS2

• Dominic,

So great to hear your back as Guybrush, like most Monkey Island fans I had pretty much given up hope on anything new coming out. Replaying CMI at the moment, which might be my favorite game of all time.

Using the hand icon on Golden Elaine cracks me up every time.
    "She must weigh a ton! Uh... no offence. Hey, I wonder how many karats she... no, no, bad idea!"

• If you spew gibberish, it just sounds like gibberish. But mumbling something that sounds like actual words but is still completely unintelligible? That's tricky.

No voice work on The Sims for you then? :p

• Hey Dom..
    I imagine back in CMI when you were recording the phrase "with the potential for a few more sequels" you didn't think you'd get to do another sequel, give voice to the original, and do a 5 part episodic series! And more (probably)!

Here's a question: supposing LucasArts decides to do a special edition of MI2 in the future (I hope so!), are you prepared to make hooooock, chwwwwwk, swish-swish, and other various spit-related sounds? :p

• I don't have a question, but I would like to say it is great to have you back and the series back Dominic.

• User Avatar Image
    Sean A Telltale Staff

Hey dude, I live in Baltimore too! Where are you? (Not exactly; I don't want to be a creep.) (I mean what area are you in...)

I don't know what I mean.

• It's great to see you actually here giving us 110% answering any and all of our silly and ridiculous questions! I don't think many other people would be so willing to connect with their fans, or are you under some sort of contractual obligation to keep us happy until the new episodes release?

In Escape from Monkey Island when Guybrush talks to himself, did you pretty much just record that by talking to yourself, or was it just a normal recording session where you have to say each line individually?

And as a huge Harmonix fan, I gotta ask... What's your favorite Freezepop song?

Add Comment