User Avatar Image

Q&A With the Team

posted by Jake on - last edited - Viewed by 10.3K users

Welcome to the secret forum! As a thank you for pre-ordering, we've created this little backstage area where you can hang out with the development team, keep an eye on the development of Tales of Monkey Island, and hopefully get your hands on things before we go wide with them to the public.

First off, though, let's start a Q&A thread!

Any questions you've got for the development team, ask 'em here!
We'll try to dogpile this thread with high quality facts and higher quality lies conversation!

1.5K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Ry Guy said: You bet! Just wait and see what can be dark and spooky and smell of corn chowder.

Hot damn!

Think about it: one of the most enchanting things about the POTC ride is that it's all a nocturne. You leave the daytime world behind and go into this dark mysterious place with flickering lamps and lit windows and fireflies playing. And then it rapidly gets darker and more mysterious.

I didn't loathe EMI as much as some people here, but I found the sunlit glare of Jambalaya Island really repellent. Unlike all the other MI locations, I felt no desire to linger in that world and look at the details-- just do the puzzles and get the hell out of there. It felt like an intrusion from some other game. Take a leaf from A Vampyre Story's book and give us some night!

And points to Telltale for giving its characters living faces with moving eyes! Another creepy thing about EMI was the way Guybrush was reduced to a little blank-eyed wooden doll. He looks great in TMI.

• This is a minor question, but will we be able to turn off the smelly, green, voodoo-cursed hand smokey effect thing that followed Guybrush around? I kinda found it destracting and it made the card from the sock diffcult to read (IMO).
    Unless of course its not the final effect. In which case i grovellingly withdraw my question, m'lud. :)

• I just want to say that I'm in heaven.

I couldn't even imagine that I would see a new (or two) MI game this far. Oh God, I still have nightmares were I exchange all those floppy discs scene after scene, just for some disk to fail me and I need to start again.

And I'm even more happy to be able to be here, posting and reading this forum. Now I'm part of the MI story - it's like a dream come true. Thanks guys!

• @Chuck said:
    Telltale used to be so cool. Guess you gotta go after those console dollars.

Don't let it get to you man. That's just the internet being the internet.;)

• I don't mind Telltale releasing games for consoles at all, the bigger the audience, the better.

As long as they don't sacrifice the PC versions in order to do so, but they haven't done so yet... even though I don't like their new control scheme, I really don't think they put that in there because of their console versions, like some people seem to think.

So as long as the PC versions remain top quality, as they have so far, I say go for it (yeah, I grant you my full permission! :p) :D

• @ZombieAtPlay said: This is a minor question, but will we be able to turn off the smelly, green, voodoo-cursed hand smokey effect thing that followed Guybrush around? I kinda found it destracting and it made the card from the sock diffcult to read (IMO).
    Unless of course its not the final effect. In which case i grovellingly withdraw my question, m'lud. :)

It's exploding way out of control in the E3 footage. Pretend its really at about 1/10th that level of bright-in-your-face-explosionness. Subtlety! The one in the E3 footage is basically a proof of concept.

• Speaking of the E3-demo, one game I was reminded of (next to CMI, which I think is the Monkey Island it looks like the most - in the demo part at least) was Zelda: Wind Waker. The second island you visit in that one (Windfall Island? I can't remember, it's been too long) really came to mind upon seeing Flotsam Island. I don't know why, I guess it's the sunny, tropical Island-harbor setting, the cartoony atmosphere and the design (big, brightly colored surfaces, stuff like that). Was Wind Waker an influence here, or am I just rambling?

• @KB57 said: Hot damn!

Think about it: one of the most enchanting things about the POTC ride is that it's all a nocturne. You leave the daytime world behind and go into this dark mysterious place with flickering lamps and lit windows and fireflies playing. And then it rapidly gets darker and more mysterious.

I didn't loathe EMI as much as some people here, but I found the sunlit glare of Jambalaya Island really repellent. Unlike all the other MI locations, I felt no desire to linger in that world and look at the details-- just do the puzzles and get the hell out of there. It felt like an intrusion from some other game. Take a leaf from A Vampyre Story's book and give us some night!

And points to Telltale for giving its characters living faces with moving eyes! Another creepy thing about EMI was the way Guybrush was reduced to a little blank-eyed wooden doll. He looks great in TMI.

AMEN!! You encapsulated exactly what I loved about MI 1&2, and what I didn't like about EMI (gives me a headache just to think about it).

• Wow, as a fan of Monkey Island from the very first one and after the mild disappointments of EFMI (Though, I thought the explanations for Herman Toothrot really brought the story together more personally.) I never thought the day would come when we'd finally get a new one. Especially with how holed up LucasArts was about not making any Non-Star Wars games and not selling off their IPs. So thank you Telltale... Thank you so much for bringing THE Premiere Adventure game back to the people.

Even though it's been asked before, I've still seen no answer... No Earl Boen? That'll be a major disappointment, especially since Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition does, in fact, have him.

Secondly, Will there be more fourth wall breaking humor? Pokes at LucasArts having their grubby hands over everything?

I think that's about it for now. New Monkey Island! It's finally happening!

• Arr, a pirate I was meant to be, me hearties.

Looking forward to the series, I'm confident Telltale will do a terrific job.

Congrats everyone, and keep it up :)

Add Comment