User Avatar Image

Concepts and Such

posted by Ry Guy on - last edited - Viewed by 1.6K users

Stuff that has lead up to current designs and stuff that has just been left to die.

263 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Ry Guy said: I would have loved to give a long flowing jacket or something that really shows movement, but alas, there are technical things to deal with. Man, a physics engine would be great! But, adventure games really don't deal much with it.

Perhaps the next big feature of the Telltale Tool to work on? :D J/K

• @Ry Guy said: I would have loved to give a long flowing jacket or something that really shows movement, but alas, there are technical things to deal with. Man, a physics engine would be great! But, adventure games really don't deal much with it.

Oh, absolutely, I agree and understand. It's easy for me to say that Guybrush should have a long, swishy coat since I'm not the one who would have to either animate it by hand or implement a physics engine to handle cloth-deformations in real time.

Conceptually, though, since Guybrush is a wannabe Pirate, I've always liked the idea that he "borrowed" the coat from another pirate, hence it being a little too big for him. After all, he does have a history of collecting items that don't belong to him.

Actually, now I think about it, a slightly ill-fitting smaller jacket works just as well for the same reasons. So, err, good job. Carry on. :)

• By the way, any chance you might have time to give Guybrush a nice big, pirate belt buckle? That'd be the icing on the cake!

• @LukeSW said: Oh, absolutely, I agree and understand. It's easy for me to say that Guybrush should have a long, swishy coat since I'm not the one who would have to either animate it by hand or implement a physics engine to handle cloth-deformations in real time.

Conceptually, though, since Guybrush is a wannabe Pirate, I've always liked the idea that he "borrowed" the coat from another pirate, hence it being a little too big for him. After all, he does have a history of collecting items that don't belong to him.

Actually, now I think about it, a slightly ill-fitting smaller jacket works just as well for the same reasons. So, err, good job. Carry on. :)

Strangely enough, it just occurred to me how big a klepto Guybrush is. Holy cripes on toast, he stole a lot of stuff.

• @wezzy said: A wallpaper based on this http://vip.telltalegames.com/files/monkeyisland/ryanconcepts/slide_anatomyofapirate_sm.jpg would be the coolest thing ever

I'm thinking T-shirt. That on a T-shirt would be awesome.

• What about Elaine? Do you have any concept art with her? How did she progress from 2D to 3D in ToMI?

• EDIT: Duplicate post. Darned internet Gremlins!

• @CalBearRJ said: Strangely enough, it just occurred to me how big a klepto Guybrush is. Holy cripes on toast, he stole a lot of stuff.

Ha. That's the thing about adventure games, isn't it? Even the most noble, moral, law-abiding protagonists turn into thieving scum-bags as soon as they embark on their adventures.

It's like:

"I will depose the King of Thieves and bring law and order back to this land! That wrench might come in handy. And what's this? A sleeping drunk with a loose gold tooth? Someone will mug him if he's not careful. I'd better take the tooth with me for safe keeping. Wait a minute. Is there a ball of string in that old lady's knitting basket? And is that underwear hanging on that washing line?"

• @wezzy said: A wallpaper based on this http://vip.telltalegames.com/files/monkeyisland/ryanconcepts/slide_anatomyofapirate_sm.jpg would be the coolest thing ever

Haven't seen much Pictures of him, but he looks a bit like Dominic (Armato) to me. No?
    Just with more beard

• Speaking of cleptomania... I think you all know this, but maybe you don't. :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXoO9JslgBk

"I take it all with me!!!"

Add Comment