User Avatar Image

Paganism in TMI?

posted by lmi on - last edited - Viewed by 583 users

i'd like to start this thread with an apology to the Telltale Games crew. it seems i overdid it with some comments about the mi game being in the process of production. sorry if i offended you in any way with my previous posts. im honestly excited that theres going to b a new mi game.

i kno u've been taking a lot of pressure recently from MI fans complaining about the game ur making. must've been a lota stress.

i think i know why the people like Monkey Island. it is for the game's atmosphere. the atmosphere of magic, the atmosphere of humour, the atmosphere of love and romance. i'm sure, we all want to keep that atmosphere, that's why everyone's worried about the game. it just means too much to us.

i'm not too worried about the type of graphics, control or the looks of characters or etc.. i have just one major concern (which i've stated before).

so... this isn't a complaint... nor is it a statement. i'd refer to it as a petition. i've watched an interview with you guys recently, and i believe that your intensions are good. perhaps i used a rather rude way to draw ur attention the first time...

as you know, my concerns are caused by the title of the fifth episode of TMI. of course, i discern nothing about the plot... i am vexed about the matter, though...

i'm asking you to leave this poll open for the sake of all the MI fans out there, who share my concern. if our point of view doesn't make it to the top, do as you please. but if it does, consider this a petition from us to free TMI from becoming just another pagan game.

let it stay religiously neutral as before (of course stuff like silly 'cannibals' and 'voodoo' magic doesn't count).

hoping every1'd share their opinion with us!

36 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • This is getting more and more ridiculous, and there is almost a month until the first episode.

• I went and had a look at the episode title list. Episode 5 is "Rise of the Pirate God". How does that even remotely connect to Paganism? And even if it did, what's there a problem with representing any religion, even paganism, in a game? Sure, if it's done to cause offence, then there's an issue.

But in a game like this, we should expect a lot of mysticism and fantasy, not necessarily based on real-world religions and beliefs. There's probably some practicers of Voodoo who may be offended at how their religion is portrayed... but I'm sure most of them also realise the difference between the real world Voodoo religion and the concept of "Voodoo" that appears in fiction (making zombies, curses etc.)

• You sound like a completely uneducated moron.

You do realize paganism in it's most basic sense refers to any polytheistic religion. It has nothing to do with magic or magic practices.

Hinduism, one of the world's biggest religions, is technically "paganism." It has multiple gods. The fact that such a religion exists in the real world must offend you then. God forbid something doesn't conform to your limited world view.

The bottom line is that the Monkey games are steeped in Voodoo tradition. You're statement "of course stuff like silly 'cannibals' and 'voodoo' magic doesn't count" is both glib and offensive. Voodoo, as it were, is a legitimate religion (not something silly) and an offshoot of West African Vodou. Vodou/Voodoo are polytheistic faiths in the real world (i.e. they have more than one god).

The game interprets Voodoo in the common folk magic trope. No doubt the method of whoever attains the title 'Pirate God' is through Voodoo. Since Voodoo is a polytheistic faith I don't see what is wrong about the title.

Telling them to rename it 'Pirate Demon' is outrageously offensive as then you're classifying anything that's interpreted as a god in Voodooism as a demon.

Oh, and hate to break it to you... I'm going to assume you subscribe to one of the Judeo-Christian based faiths as typically complaints like yours come from that camp. The central God of Christianity/Judaism/Islam; YHWH, comes from a polytheistic faith. You see, around 1500 BC there was a city called Ugarit that had a pantheon of gods with the head god "El" and his court the "Elohim". Among this court was a relatively minor deity YHWH; a storm god. Eventually, the cult of YHWH grew and after Ugarit was destroyed in the "Bronze Age Collapse" many survivors joined this cult and began to worship YHWH as the high god. These people eventually began to be identified as the Jewish tribes, and switched from a polytheistic faith of Ugarit to a monotheistic faith worshiping solely YHWH. Judaism then gave rise to Christianity and Islam. So there you have it; YHWH (and by extension his son Jesus) comes from a minor pagan polytheistic cult circa 1500 BC. Don't believe me? Go open up an encyclopedia or take some classes in comparative religions and the ancient Middle East.

• Hey, what the? I didn't come here to accidentally learn interesting stuff!

• @jp-30 said: Hey, what the? I didn't come here to accidentally learn interesting stuff!

I know, but I just find this topic/post so inane and ridiculous.

• So I take it you would not want the game to begin with the message I suggested here?

http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=130072&postcount=22

• There's also the fact that the word "God" doesn't always imply a spiritual context and can be used simply as the best or most powerful. Otherwise I better start offering sacrifice to all those people who say they're a god at video games before I'm smited.

Heck, maybe that's all that's meant by the title "Rise of the Pirate God" and god is capitalized merely because that follows the grammatical rules for capitalization in titles.

Besides the English word "God" derives from the Proto-Germanic word "gudan" which roughly translates to summon/call/invoke which isn't very Christian anyway.

I suggest the title of the fifth chapter be changed to "Rise of the Pirate Yahweh" just so everyone's clear on the issue.

• @LuigiHann said: Everyone knows there's only one true God.

Es gibt nur einen Gott: BELAFARINROD

And I want paganism!

• @lmi said: i'd like to start this thread with an apology to the Telltale Games crew. it seems i overdid it with some comments about the mi game being in the process of production. sorry if i offended you in any way with my previous posts. im honestly excited that theres going to b a new mi game.

i kno u've been taking a lot of pressure recently from MI fans complaining about the game ur making. must've been a lota stress.

i think i know why the people like Monkey Island. it is for the game's atmosphere. the atmosphere of magic, the atmosphere of humour, the atmosphere of love and romance. i'm sure, we all want to keep that atmosphere, that's why everyone's worried about the game. it just means too much to us.

i'm not too worried about the type of graphics, control or the looks of characters or etc.. i have just one major concern (which i've stated before).

so... this isn't a complaint... nor is it a statement. i'd refer to it as a petition. i've watched an interview with you guys recently, and i believe that your intensions are good. perhaps i used a rather rude way to draw ur attention the first time...

as you know, my concerns are caused by the title of the fifth episode of TMI. of course, i discern nothing about the plot... i am vexed about the matter, though...

i'm asking you to leave this poll open for the sake of all the MI fans out there, who share my concern. if our point of view doesn't make it to the top, do as you please. but if it does, consider this a petition from us to free TMI from becoming just another pagan game.

let it stay religiously neutral as before (of course stuff like silly 'cannibals' and 'voodoo' magic doesn't count).

hoping every1'd share their opinion with us!

Sheesh, I am christian, but lets think about those things seriously in a clean and enlightened manner (enlighened in the sense of applying a brain here)

Monkey island plays in the carribeans in the 18th century, a time and place where we had following things:

a) Voodoo as paganic religion imported from the african slaves already taking christian symbols to hide itself underground

b) A lot of misconceptions about the world which manifest itself in somehwat twisted religious views going straight into wichcraft believes and other things

c) People being killed left and right due to ilnesses violence or war or straight by a lot of accidents (people died like fleas was were born like fleas), with sexual diseases widespread more than anything else

d) Hygienic circumstances which are close to what we would call bio hazard, but that not on garbage dumps but in average life

e) People washing themselves maybe once per year, because everything else was seen as unhealthy

So now we have a game making a humourous mockery about those things (a and b, and c to a small degree), I am all for it :-)

This is a game and a parody so live with it I must say, and enjoy it!
    Guess if you live in Europe you see religious things way more relaxed than in the US, the funny thing is over hear the most religiously zealous people are the ones being declared atheists, while the rest of the bunch is rather relaxed!

This discussion has been closed.