User Avatar Image

Q&A With the Team

posted by Jake on - last edited - Viewed by 8.3K users

Welcome to the secret forum! As a thank you for pre-ordering, we've created this little backstage area where you can hang out with the development team, keep an eye on the development of Tales of Monkey Island, and hopefully get your hands on things before we go wide with them to the public.

First off, though, let's start a Q&A thread!

Any questions you've got for the development team, ask 'em here!
We'll try to dogpile this thread with high quality facts and higher quality lies conversation!

1.5K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • This is really amazing. And actually, i DO want some of them semi-illogical puzzles involved in ToMI. Come ON, anything to make the episode last longer than a measly 2-8 hours!
    Well.
    Except maybe a 6 hour Stan sales pitch. That might be pushing it.

No, but seriously. the puzzles in the new S&M, SB and W&G series are just downright wussy compared to the old MI puzzles. We were bred on stronger grog than this and I for one can't stomach the watered-down version.

Like come on, it was the PAIN of going through the oop chee ack that made it so maddeningly memorable. Loved it.

IMO, hints to the game only breed the generation of lazy whiners we see growing up around us.

• I agree with freewheel, don't make it too easy!

• There's no use in puzzles being hard if you cannot solve it by logic. The fun of puzzle solving lies in actually solving puzzles yourself, not by desperately clicking and combining everything until you stumble on some illogical solution cooked up by the game designer to artificially increase the length of the game.

• @Bagge said: There's no use in puzzles being hard if you cannot solve it by logic. The fun of puzzle solving lies in actually solving puzzles yourself, not by desperately clicking and combining everything until you stumble on some illogical solution cooked up by the game designer to artificially increase the length of the game.

Though finding jokes by combining the wrong things together, I find, has always been a brilliant thing in Monkey Island :p
    But agreed, the fun is in knowing you have solved a puzzle, rather than tried everything.

• ¡¡THANKS!!

I've been waiting for this so long, that I just.... JUST... CAN'T BELEIVE IT!
    I can't even think about any interesting question to make!

Hugs from Spain!

• I hope that it will provide with at least 8-10 hours of gameplay (not knowing the puzzles) and 1-2 hours using a walkthrough.
    Ummm, here's another question: Would you accept help from your fans while working on a Monkey Island title? I mean, it would be exciting to find an unnoficial way of collaborating with you. Maybe gather a small group of people (such as us), and ask them to fill out forms with questions like
    "Who would you like to see most in the next Monkey Island game, besides the main characters? a) Stan b) Murray c) Herman"
    or
    "What location would you like to see once more in the next MI title? a) Melee Island b) Blood Island c) Phatt Island"

Maybe I'm just rambling here, but I think most of us would like to help a bit at creating a MI title. :D Right guys?

• @Bagge said: There's no use in puzzles being hard if you cannot solve it by logic. The fun of puzzle solving lies in actually solving puzzles yourself, not by desperately clicking and combining everything until you stumble on some illogical solution cooked up by the game designer to artificially increase the length of the game.

Although a lot puzzles have logical solutions, many many more require lateral thinking. Thats the secret of a good puzzle IMO.

Use key to open door is logical.

Use monkey as wrench to to turn off a waterfall is lateral thinking. (OK, extreme example)

• No questions (yet!), I just wanted to join the fawning over Telltale for bringing Monkey Island back to our monitors after all this time.

Because of this (and SMI:SE) I've started playing through the series again - it's been a few of years since I did a complete play through all the games. It's surprising how much I don't remember!

• @Toothless Gibbon said: Although a lot puzzles have logical solutions, many many more require lateral thinking. Thats the secret of a good puzzle IMO.

Use key to open door is logical.

Use monkey as wrench to to turn off a waterfall is lateral thinking. (OK, extreme example)

I was talking about logical as opposed to illogical, not as opposed to lateral. In Ron Gilbert's words:

Puzzles and their solutions need to make sense. They don't have to be obvious, just make sense. The best reaction after solving a tough puzzle should be, "Of course, why didn't I think of that sooner!" The worst, and most often heard after being told the solution is, "I never would have gotten that!" If the solution can only be reached by trial and error or plain luck, it's a bad puzzle.

• @Toothless Gibbon said: Use monkey as wrench to to turn off a waterfall is lateral thinking. (OK, extreme example)

That puzzle might be a bad example. If you're not American, the term monkey wrench probably won't pop into your mind during that puzzle, even if you know that it's called that in America.

I wouldn't even have made the connection if it hadn't been mentioned in the E3 demo. I think it was the E3 demo?

Add Comment