User Avatar Image

Q&A With the Team

posted by Jake on - last edited - Viewed by 6.1K users

Welcome to the secret forum! As a thank you for pre-ordering, we've created this little backstage area where you can hang out with the development team, keep an eye on the development of Tales of Monkey Island, and hopefully get your hands on things before we go wide with them to the public.

First off, though, let's start a Q&A thread!

Any questions you've got for the development team, ask 'em here!
We'll try to dogpile this thread with high quality facts and higher quality lies conversation!

1.5K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Bagge said: I was talking about logical as opposed to illogical, not as opposed to lateral. In Ron Gilbert's words:

I see what your saying, but I love puzzles that use plays on words etc that, at least initally, seem illogical.

However Im sure its fine line between challenging and frustrating when coming up with them.

• I get the whole need for a logical solution to the puzzles of course, but we never really had that issue with MI puzzles did we? Even IF i did, out of eventual desperation, solved a number of puzzles by randomly chucking stuff together, we could always perceive on hindsight some slender warped logic involved. And that was generally sufficient for me. It just meant I needed to be more warped and tenuous in my logic for the next killer puzzle. (See, more important life skills learnt already!)

But I totally dig what serweet said about the wrong answers. The new series all give one standard dialogue for "I can't use such and such with such and such". How boring can that get?

• The "wind blowing the scarf" thing in MI2 was pretty hard to think of, but that was such a great puzzle. Took me ages, but it still is a great puzzle

• @Shwoo said: That puzzle might be a bad example. If you're not American, the term monkey wrench probably won't pop into your mind during that puzzle, even if you know that it's called that in America.

I wouldn't even have made the connection if it hadn't been mentioned in the E3 demo. I think it was the E3 demo?

Well that puzzle is renowned for being the most 'lateral' in the games, and it was a killer puzzle. I'm not from the US though and still got there in the end. Once hypnotised however, the monkey was shaped like a wrench (spanner).

I think it took me so long to solve though that I probably would use a walkthough / hint system if they did something similar in Tales.

The Internet was the biggest thing that killed adventure games for a while IMO.

• The Monkey Island logo changed a little bit. Now it looks more like a vectorial illustration :)
    Since both LucasArts and Telltale use the new logo, I'm curious to know who created the new Monkey Island logo?

• Was it ever planned to be in 2D or was 3D just the best option since all previous TellTale games are also in 3D as well

• Hey, just dropped in to say that this private forum as preorder perk is a brilliant idea!

Actually, I do have a question. It was already said that Ron Gilbert was involved in the design. How does his involvement compare to Aardman's on Wallace & Gromit? Less, similar, more? Thanks!

• @Pantagruel's Friend said:
    Actually, I do have a question. It was already said that Ron Gilbert was involved in the design. How does his involvement compare to Aardman's on Wallace & Gromit? Less, similar, more? Thanks!

I think this is a magnificent question and I, too would seek an answer to such an inquiry.

• @Bagge said: Education will not help you solve those puzzles. It was a test of patience more than anything.

I think that's kind of the thing though. In that era, to actually set up a DOS computer and load up a game on it required a huge degree of patience and often trial-and-error.

• @Blondebeard2 said: The Monkey Island logo changed a little bit. Now it looks more like a vectorial illustration :)
    Since both LucasArts and Telltale use the new logo, I'm curious to know who created the new Monkey Island logo?

LucasArts created the new "Monkey Island" text for their special edition, and asked that we adopt that text for our logo as well. I did the "Tales of" banner and text, expecting it to not be final and just for E3, but I guess it is, or is damn close :) Tried to get a little of the LeChuck's Revenge logo feeling in there.

Add Comment