User Avatar Image

Concepts and Such

posted by Ry Guy on - last edited - Viewed by 3.1K users

Stuff that has lead up to current designs and stuff that has just been left to die.

263 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Wow thats pretty funny, its like SMI in fast forward. haha.

• @Silverwolfpet said: Speaking of cleptomania... I think you all know this, but maybe you don't. :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXoO9JslgBk

"I take it all with me!!!"

Heheh funny =)

• User Avatar Image
    Ry Guy Telltale Staff

@Silverwolfpet said: What about Elaine? Do you have any concept art with her? How did she progress from 2D to 3D in ToMI?

I have some stuff for her, just need to scan it on monday..

• I have some stuff for her, just need to scan it on monday..

Thank you! :)

• User Avatar Image
    MarkDarin Telltale Staff

@LuigiHann said: ... did you initially design LeChuck as "stonesque" to provide a more direct continuity with EMI, before the decision to distance it a bit?

That was the idea behind the Stone look in the concepts. We were attempting to show that he still retained some of the aspects of his past incarnations, but had mutated or evolved past them since. But is started getting out of control and was drifting into Silly territory, so we decided to go different direction and focus on the Sicklyness that was going to have some impact on the the rest of the story.

• @MarkDarin said: That was the idea behind the Stone look in the concepts. We were attempting to show that he still retained some of the aspects of his past incarnations, but had mutated or evolved past them since. But is started getting out of control and was drifting into Silly territory, so we decided to go different direction and focus on the Sicklyness that was going to have some impact on the the rest of the story.

That's kind of a shame really, I dig the stone representation of LeChuck. I'll just have to imagine he looked like that in MI5 then ;p

That and concept art! It's nice to see the development process behind the scenes! I trust this stuff will also be on the DVD when that releases, right?

• no physics engine to incorporate all of those extra animated details?

[edited by author] You don't need a 3d physics engine to make something look cool! And I don't think it would take too much effort to animate by hand. You should be lucky that your games' engine doesn't require PhysX cloth or w/e. Where is your sense of adventure to trying something new in a game. That little element might just make the game shine!

Originally Posted by LukeSW
    Oh, absolutely, I agree and understand. It's easy for me to say that Guybrush should have a long, swishy coat since I'm not the one who would have to either animate it by hand or implement a physics engine to handle cloth-deformations in real time.

Never back down on your suggestions, Luke. You are the end user and you like what you know you like. Telltale should be taking note from anyone, those who are and are not artists/animators. Walt Disney and pretty much any studio worth their weight in gold, always did.

• User Avatar Image
    Ry Guy Telltale Staff

@Edgy_McSpoon said: no physics engine to incorporate all of those extra animated details?

News flash: YOU DON'T NEED A PHYSICS ENGINE TO MAKE SOMETHING LOOK COOL. And I don't think it would take too much effort to animate by hand. You should be lucky that your games' engine doesn't require PhysX cloth or w/e. Where is your sense of adventure to trying something new in a game. That little element might just make the game shine!

Never back down on your suggestions, Luke. You are the end user and you like what you know you like. Telltale should be taking note from anyone, those who are and are not artists/animators. Walt Disney and pretty much any studio worth their weight in gold, always did.

We all do take into account everyones thoughts and feelings about what we are working on. Thanks for the News Flash, but I know you don't need a physics engine to make something look cool, it helps, but it isn't necessary. Bold font really gets the point across. Not that I really know what I'm talking about, i just like to draw pictures. I was simply just explaining our design decisions in terms of Gee LeBrush. Yea! VIDEO GAMES!

• @LukeSW said: Ha. That's the thing about adventure games, isn't it? Even the most noble, moral, law-abiding protagonists turn into thieving scum-bags as soon as they embark on their adventures.

It's like:

"I will depose the King of Thieves and bring law and order back to this land! That wrench might come in handy. And what's this? A sleeping drunk with a loose gold tooth? Someone will mug him if he's not careful. I'd better take the tooth with me for safe keeping. Wait a minute. Is there a ball of string in that old lady's knitting basket? And is that underwear hanging on that washing line?"

Lol. Exactly.

The funniest thing for me is the logic that occurs in the users head. It goes like this: "Ok...so the carpenter in MI2 won't just let me steal his stuff while he's standing there. What a jerk!!! I guess I better get him out of here so I can rob him blind while he's gone."

It would never occur to me to be that devious in real life, but in an adventure game? Hell yeah I'm gonna steal his stuff!!! In fact, it's more fun if I didn't rightly earn something (ie pay for it).

Add Comment