User Avatar Image

Questions for Dominic Armato!

posted by Jake on - last edited - Viewed by 3.3K users

If you see a guy with the username "dmnkly" skulking around, it's probably Dominic Armato, (better known as) the voice of Guybrush Threepwood!

If you've got any questions for Dom or just want to say hello, drop 'em here!

Dom answers! Let's take a look...

[LIST]
[*]First round of answers! June 1st
[*]Second round of answers! June 2nd
[*]Third round of answers! June 2nd -- again!
[*]Fourth round of answers! June 3rd
[*]Fifth round of answers! June 4th
[*]Sixth round of answers! June 4th -- again!
[*]Seventh round of answers! June 5th
[/LIST]

I don't know when this will end, but that's a lot of answered questions so far! Check those to see if your question has already been answered!

690 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Dom you've made me laugh like no other. I wish I had a question worthy enough for you but alas I have not. Thanks for the memories!

• @Pshawn said: Dom you've made me laugh like no other. I wish I had a question worthy enough for you but alas I have not. Thanks for the memories!

ask him the meaning of algebra
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dominic what do you think of this slogan for MI

B A N A N A - P I C K E R - E N G A G E

• 1. How did you react when you got the role of Guybrush in Curse of Monkey Island?
    2. How did your wife react when you told her you where the voice of Guybrush?

• @Dmnkly said: My memory's a little fuzzy, since it would have been... 1996? 1997?... when I recorded this? But I do recall a cutscene featuring Elaine fighting off a skeletal horde while I kind of stand around, twiddling my thumbs, asking if there's anything I can do. She says no, I kind of meander about, and am then somehow shoved into the roller coaster. And that's as much of it as is still stuck in my brain. I remember thinking after the game was released that it really could have used that material, and based on subsequent interviews it sounds like Jonathan and Larry agree. But the budget's the budget and they didn't want to blow it, I believe.

If you work with LA to make a special edition of this game, will you try to get them to add the scene?

• really glad your doing the voice for the sequel to monkey island cant wait to play!!! your a legend....GOOD TIMES WOOOOOOOOO

• In my humble opinion the voice cast for The Curse of Monkey Island is one of the most appropriate and best casts for previously non-voiced characters ever. Kudos to the casting director(s) at LucasArts, who understood the importance of professional voice acting. But, of course, Dominic, the majority of this credit is derived directly from your work.

I honestly think your part as to giving a soul and life to Guybrush is on par with the greatest names in the industry. Hayter as Snake, Martinet as Mario, Hollick as Niko Bellic ... And please know that I truly mean this, it’s not just my way of saying "I’m glad you’re back on the Monkey ride" (well, sure, I am glad, no question ‘bout that ;)). I was professionally involved with the creative part of the gaming industry for a long time so I (should :)) know what I’m talking about.

You more than deserve all the credit people are giving you for your work. Actually, it’s really nice to see so many people here appreciating it – makes me glad to know people still care and notice that. Especially in this day and age where it seems that graphics and the pacing of action sequences are the only things which can deliver a great gaming experience. With everyone dismissing a well crafted story and witty delivered dialog.

Oh, and I do have some questions (if you have time and energy to answer it): You’ve stated many times, that the voicing of SMI remake was a challenge due to the way the lines were written for the game. Are there actually some lines which aren’t spoken exactly as they were written or is the remake voiced exactly 1:1? If there are differences, could you quantify them :).

Also you stated that they were very strict about the script regarding ad-libing. Well, who was stricter, Telltale or LucasArts? You remember any of your own “tunes” that made the cut and are in CMI or EMI (regarding your previous “The tunes, not the lyrics.« answer)?

Thank you! With a nod to your patience. :D

• I just want to say big thanks for coming back! I hate recasts and I couldn't imagine any other voice for Guybrush than yours. As for questions...

Aside from Monkey Island, what other types of games do you like?

And do you ever slip and say classic Guybrush lines in your personal life?

• Hi, I liked those games you were in :P (yeah, thats been edited), anywho I've got one of these one-free-question tokens, and my friend has a really pressing question, he's a bit of a tennis nut, so I don't know if this will be lost on you (it's lost on me) I think what he was getting at was, if there was a MI film, this guy would be a good pick huh? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLKXBOziPus&feature=related

Also... your awesome at what you do *gush gush*

• Do you feel like in the realm of adventure games you've been typecasted as Guybrush in terms of getting voice over work? This came to mind only because you mentioned Psychonaughts - although I know if that's actually an adventure game, I wondered if perhaps that was a reason.

By the way - this is personally unreal for me to actually ask the guy who voices Guybrush a question.

• @der_ketzer said: I have only the german version.

But I found this picture:
    mi1egafac35.png

That's from Monkey Island 3 at Blood Island I think. You click pick up water 40 times and then you can walk down there. Someone edited out the MI3 guybrush.

Add Comment