User Avatar Image

Possible explanation to the 'Pirate God' thing

posted by Marduk on - last edited - Viewed by 334 users

I do not want to re-ignite that whole 'paganism' thing, here.

I think a lot of people have been reading into that and making assumptions when they should really wait until that episode is released and we can see what it means for ourselves. (Remember; never ‘Assume’, it makes an ‘Ass’ out of ‘u’ and ‘me’).

Anyways, I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, yet, so I figured I'd point it out myself.

In EMI (I slightly dislike that abbreviation and anything that makes me think about major record labels) there was a deranged ghost who had come to see LeChuck in a slightly absurd way and started a church in his name. The whole thing looked not completely unlike many Christian chapels, except for a lava 'flume' ride that went right through it (which served as part of the wedding service where LeChuck was to marry Elaine). Guybrush was even considered to be the "Anti-LeChuck". (There was a bit of recurring theme that nobody would believe that Guybrush was who he said he was, usually because he didn't meet their descriptions).

54 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • In my opinion, they're saying 'Pirate God' like how they would call a rock star a 'Rock God'.

• As a (very) conservative Christian, I was not offended by the God title. I did not even pause. There's a difference between mocking God and referencing a fictional God - unless you have zero discerning abilities, "god" being in the title of a video game has no danger whatsoever.

• User Avatar Image
    lmi

@Marduk said: I'm sorry, Ixi, it was childish of me to make this thread.

actually, im honoured. 2 days on this forum got me so popular, that there was a whole thread started in my name))))) oh, and its LMI.

@Marduk said: I think a lot of people have been reading into that

im glad that my posts got peoples thoughts steering in the right direction.

@Marduk said: It's just a video game.

well, to me (at least) its much more than that!..

@Marduk said: We need to all remember that anything in the game is there for the sake of tasteful humor.

im sorry for popping out again on this topic. but what possible funny scenario can u imagine by the phrase "rise of the pirate god" this reminds me of a title "hitler - the rise of evil". nothing funny... at all. actually, it even sounds serious. thats what makes me really upset bout it.

@Marduk said: Who the hell cares if there is god in the title :D

at least 4 ppl in this forum do. though, im sure thered b much, much more, had the poll been left open.

• @mhaley said: Yeah, but he is resurrected soon after. All praise our lord and savior, Guybrush Threepwood.

By the way, that is one of the funniest moments in CMI (spoilers, obviously):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rREKIPsDi6g

In that he states that he isnt a real person

Which means the consequences of Life and Death do not apply to him
    He is not a god
    he is a video game character

• @lmi said:
    im sorry for popping out again on this topic. but what possible funny scenario can u imagine by the phrase "rise of the pirate god" this reminds me of a title "hitler - the rise of evil". nothing funny... at all. actually, it even sounds serious. thats what makes me really upset bout it.

I truly believe you are a troll, and that you are only saying these things to get attention.

• @lmi

I really don't see how you can be offended by the title.

Obviously, I don't know all the details so I have to assume some details...

Okay first, seeing as LeChuck regularly practices Voodoo and has been a ghost/zombie/demon I think it's safe to assume LeChuck is NOT a practicing Christian.

So if the title refers to LeChuck... in his belief system he has become a pirate God. Since he isn't Christian, this in no way competes with the Christian concept of God, nor does it say anything about the Christian God. Additionally, since it is his belief system it in no way means you have to accept it as him becoming a god.

It's exactly the same as you meeting a practicing Hindu in real life, and you being offended because they call something a god and they worship that god. You don't have to agree with them or accept their beliefs, but it is entirely wrong of you to be offended at that.

You said, in another post, that people should be free to have whatever religious beliefs they want. So... why can't LeChuck have his own religious beliefs?

• Think less of scary pagan god concepts, and more of C-3PO in a flying chair in Return of the Jedi, and you'll probably be fine

• @lmi said:
    at least 4 ppl in this forum do. though, im sure thered b much, much more, had the poll been left open.

Why? I don't get it. What's wrong with using god in a title?

• @Shiversul said: In that he states that he isnt a real person

Which means the consequences of Life and Death do not apply to him
    He is not a god
    he is a video game character

Yeah, but this whole discussion is a joke. I mean, Guybrush is clearly not a god, just as much as LeChuck is not actually a ghost pirate. Everyone needs to realize that Monkey Island does not exist in the real world.

@Shiversul said: well, to me (at least) its much more than that!..

It is just a video game. If you are making anything more of it, you need to take a hard look at yourself. If you still have a problem with it, play something else. I am sorry if anyone takes this the wrong way.

By the way, lmi, have you visited id Software's forum yet? They have a game about hellish demons called Doom, and a game about Nazi Germany called Wolfenstein. The latter actually involves a resurrected Adolf Hitler. When you have a chance, you should pay them a visit.

PS. I think that I like the atmosphere of the Private Forum more.

Add Comment