User Avatar Image

Bulletin: Telltale is not LucasArts

posted by Sean A on - last edited - Viewed by 785 users

Just for those of you on these boards who don't seem to get it, Telltale wants to do things differently from LucasArts, hence the absence of insanely abstract puzzles and longer games that only come out once every few years.

Also, when they announce a project, it actually comes out.

So for those of you who are bashing the difficulty of Culture Shock, or are griping about its length, or are saying it's not as good as Hit the Road, stop letting your nostalgia get in the way of your opinion. Culture Shock is every bit a Sam and Max game as Hit the Road, but it will never live up to the latter's legacy because it's not trying to. It's a different kind of game, and will never be just like an old LucasArts game. Ever.

Telltale still has a few kinks to iron out of its games, true, but they're doing that, going so far as to update their old games (Bone, for example) to accomodate some of our suggestions and comments.

What other company on earth does that? LucasFarts? How much gameplay do you want for $7-$9 an episode? If you take your time, enjoying all of the dialogue, easter eggs and other shenanigans Telltale incorporated into Culture Shock, you're getting more than your money's worth. Way more.

As far as I'm concerned it's a monumental achievment that this game even exists, not even accounting for how freaking good it is.

So shut up. (This goes for me, too; I've said things elsewhere on these boards that may make it seem like I don't believe any of this, but the more I think about it the more I love some of the changes Telltale made, and I'm tired of comparing it to something it's not trying to be.)

Okay, I'm done.

Telltale, you rock my world, babies.

35 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • The aims and sentiments are good, both of you, but the issue that brings me to the thread is the painting of those here who would want further games' gameplay to be more challenging as sad, misguided, out-of-touch, nostalgia-blinded fools.

They're likely none of those. They simply want more of a challenge.

• @Vesh said: ...is the painting of those here who would want further games' gameplay to be more challenging as sad, misguided, out-of-touch, nostalgia-blinded fools.

Like Incognito, I think you're reading too much into what people such as numble, Johnny Walker and myself are saying. Or at least reading what you think we're trying to say rather than what we are actually saying.

• Seems like there's plenty of that goin' around. Funny bit is, we're probably all wanting the same product, it's just a matter of describing it in adequate language.

• jp-30: Its quite hard to read it any other way, when people always seem to associate "a bit harder puzzles" with the worst examples from past games. I have tried to name good examples of past and recent games that had well built-challenges that relied on logic, but every past games seems to be dismissed as "old school-crap with stupid puzzles that took hours or days to complete".

• @Incognito said: but every past games seems to be dismissed as "old school-crap with stupid puzzles that took hours or days to complete".

Can you please quote where people are actually saying that?

• Heaven forbid people actually discussing things on a discussion board.

• I agree entirely with Shoemonkey. Such as the case in many situations involving new installments to a long-running series, there are going to be several people who have allowed nostalgia to make older material much better than it truly is. Am I saying that "Hit the Road" wasn't a great game? Certainly not! It was terrific! But so was Culture Shock!

Remember, gang, Telltale IS an adventure game company, but they have to try very hard to entertain hardcore enthusiasts as well as newcomers to the market. It's very difficult to do! It's a lot like Insomniac Games and their Ratchet & Clank series. Extremely hard series for them to work on as they have to please both platformer and shooter fans all the time. They've had their share of pros and cons, but they're still having fun making games and we should give them and ourselves the chance to have some fun playing them!

For those of you concerned about the game's length, Telltale DID tell us all that the games would be short. They're supposed to have the feel of an interactive comic book or cartoon series, fitting as Sam & Max started as a comic book. What makes a game like this fun is getting to enjoy the generally zany ambiance of the characters and the world they live in. What fun is rushing through a game compared to sitting back and getting a good laugh out of Sam & Max's quirky long-winded dialogue and exploring their demented world?

As for game difficulty, there are new gamers as well as old involved here... Not to mention the fact that a lot of us old-school gamers still had difficulty with those brain-teasers in the old days. I, for one, enjoyed that the puzzles weren't as maddeningly torturous! Besides, this was the pilot episode! Has it occurred to anyone that maybe Telltale's just trying to warm up our brains to get us all used to thinking like Sam & Max before they give us the REALLY weird puzzles?

Speaking of thinking like Sam & Max... The sorts of Sam & Max fans who take offense to the little differences in the Freelance Police's various incarnations (comics, games, cartoons) make me laugh. Honestly, has anyone else considered that people like this are the very type of people that Sam & Max would love to senselessly brutalize for being nit-picking, whiny geeks? It's like we've got a whole community of Lornes here, for crying out loud!

Seriously, folks. Stop taking Sam & Max's new adventure so seriously and just relax! The Freelance Police are finally back and can anyone really imagine them whining that things are slightly different than they used to be? I think they'd be thrilled just to know that they can once again legally assault psychologically-stunted malcontents for the enjoyment of all!

• User Avatar Image
    Sean A Telltale Staff

@Vesh said: The aims and sentiments are good, both of you, but the issue that brings me to the thread is the painting of those here who would want further games' gameplay to be more challenging as sad, misguided, out-of-touch, nostalgia-blinded fools.

I think calling anyone a fool is taking what we're saying way out of context. I'm not saying anyone is sad, either, just that people may be looking for something Telltale has never offered to provide.

Alot of the criticism this game is getting is comparison criticism, and this thread was meant as a way to illuminate that comparing Culture Shock to an old-school adventure game--especially a LucasArts one--may be like trying to compare monkeys and sea otters. Telltale isn't out to make old-school adventure games, and it isn't out to make old-school adventure gamers change the way they feel about things. They're just trying to make good, not-too-difficult story-driven games, and that's what they've done.

I'm just sick of hearing Hit the Road comparisons. That's all. I'm not out to crap on anybody's parade, and if I was I wouldn't be doing it here. Obviously we're all passionate Sam and Max fans; I just want them to continue being the reason we play the games, and I don't necessarily need harder, "brain-taxing" puzzles to buy them. (I use quotes because, looking at old adventure games in general, some of the harder puzzles were not really brain-taxing, just taxing.)

So let's say this, by way of truce: if Telltale can come up with a way to implement higher difficulty without stooping to use-the-previously-unusable-ridiculous-thingamabob-with-other, totally-unrelated-thingamabob puzzles, I'm fine with it. Otherwise, I'd rather they spend their time writing more good jokes.

• @Incognito said: jp-30: Its quite hard to read it any other way, when people always seem to associate "a bit harder puzzles" with the worst examples from past games. I have tried to name good examples of past and recent games that had well built-challenges that relied on logic, but every past games seems to be dismissed as "old school-crap with stupid puzzles that took hours or days to complete".

I don't think of them as crap at all! I loved the deranged puzzles! I'm just saying it's nice to get a game once in a while that I only need to get hints for roughly 2 or 3 times as compared to needing a walkthrough for the entire second half of the game.

Add Comment