User Avatar Image

Q&A With the Team

posted by Jake on - last edited - Viewed by 13.3K users

Welcome to the secret forum! As a thank you for pre-ordering, we've created this little backstage area where you can hang out with the development team, keep an eye on the development of Tales of Monkey Island, and hopefully get your hands on things before we go wide with them to the public.

First off, though, let's start a Q&A thread!

Any questions you've got for the development team, ask 'em here!
We'll try to dogpile this thread with high quality facts and higher quality lies conversation!

1.5K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • It would be cool to see a Making-Of feature.

• @LukeSW said: I hope, hope, hope, hope that Tales of Monkey Island will be successful enough to become a regular yearly series like Sam 'n' Max.

i want quality not quantity :P and i rly want to control the game with my mouse and not with the arrow keys :D i think thats what most people want. arrow key just wont work in adventure games :( its annoying

• @Impossible3144 said: It wasn't until Telltale showed up with Sam & Max that Adventure games really became what they should be (although I loved the original S&M as well). You were far more likely to have a point B - or more often, C - to aim for, or a point A to start from, and it was possible to work it out with your OWN logic, not by reading the developer's mind. (Again, MI2 tended to make it worse because you had access to so many different places that you had no idea where you could currently make progress or if you were wasting time, or if you needed an item from a completely different place to progress in this one.) That's what makes a puzzle really fun.

I fully agree, you really got the point there. I'm currently replaying LeChuck's Revenge, and I keep wondering how on earth could somebody guess some of those. Many puzzles are cleverly designed (the whole first chapter works well, rat in the vichyssoise included), but for a lot of others the player would just feel clueless (just think of all the books you have to look for in the library; searching through it is fun, but only if you know what to look for, and the very existence of those titles isn't even hinted at by any character).
    Anyway, despite all my love for Telltale, I have to say that smart puzzle design has a much older tradition. SoMI is a perfect example of an engaging adventure in which the solution to puzzles, though not obvious, never feels absurd or frustrating. I think that the difficulty of the first episode of the saga is exactly the balance Telltale should aim at.

• First of all, I'd like to thank you for giving us the chance to enjoy MI games again. It's been a while since I've started to pray to have this done. I'm from Brazil and I can tell you we're pretty much excited with the new games. I have 2 questions:

1) Will you put in the game only one type of control or will we be able to chose between, I don't know, "WASD" and "mouse"? If there will be only one kind, which one? (thinking about, there's more than one question here...)

2) About the subtitles, which languages? Any chance for Brazilian Portuguese? I guess no :( But please, at least US subtitles =P

And again, THANK YOU, and I mean it!

• @Zomantic said: I think that the difficulty of the first episode of the saga is exactly the balance Telltale should aim at.

We should tkae into consideration the fact that the titles (ToMI and SMI:SE) are introduced to new players as well, new players who might not be used to the level of difficulty from the previous MI games.

Probably, the best way to go might be:
    Extreemly easy puzzle - Easy puzzle - Easy puzzle - Medium - Easy - Extreemly Hard puzzle - Easy - Medium - Easy- HARD and so on.

I think it can be compared to action sequences in good movies. You've got story telling, character development then action! Pause, story, char, Action! Pause... In this way, you don't discourage thenew players, and you please the hardcore adventure gamers too.

• @Threepwood4Life said: Just wondered, would the DVD at the end of the season feature a "treasure" load of special features with the game.

It usually does at Telltale.

• @Jake said: "Tales Of" was just amazingly short and looked really odd to my eye when centered. That was the first thing I tried :)

Yeah, you're right. Just made a mock-up to see how it would have looked like and I have to agree with you :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=546&d=124438

• @Silverwolfpet said:
    Probably, the best way to go might be:
    Extreemly easy puzzle - Easy puzzle - Easy puzzle - Medium - Easy - Extreemly Hard puzzle - Easy - Medium - Easy- HARD and so on.

I think it can be compared to action sequences in good movies. You've got story telling, character development then action! Pause, story, char, Action! Pause...

True! I really like the comparison, but I think that SoMI already does all that quite well. Gameplay pace changes continuously: vast sections with many quests and subquests (The Three Trials), and limited areas with just one single task (The Journey); inventory puzzles (drugging the poodles), dialogue puzzles (Stan), chasing sequences, insult swordfighting... And difficulty varies accordingly: there are simpler and immediately rewarding puzzles (the helmet/pot one, for istance), and the tough, satisfying ones (the shopkeeper's safe). Just add a good hint system and you get the perfect balance!

• @Zomantic said: True! I really like the comparison, but I think that SoMI already does all that quite well.

Of course it does! I was reffering on how they might implement the same "technique" in ToMI. :)

• Hey i got a question about LeChucks Voice Actor:
    in MI3 & 4 Earl Boen did the Voice of LeChuck, but it seems, or should i say it SOUNDS like he did not return for ToMI, so why didnt he return to reprise his iconic role ?

Add Comment