User Avatar Image

Q&A With the Team

posted by Jake on - last edited - Viewed by 6.0K users

Welcome to the secret forum! As a thank you for pre-ordering, we've created this little backstage area where you can hang out with the development team, keep an eye on the development of Tales of Monkey Island, and hopefully get your hands on things before we go wide with them to the public.

First off, though, let's start a Q&A thread!

Any questions you've got for the development team, ask 'em here!
We'll try to dogpile this thread with high quality facts and higher quality lies conversation!

1.5K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Ahoy there, newcomer here.

It's more of a technical question, but will there be separate volume controls for the voices and music? Trying the W&G demo I felt the music got in the way of dialogue comprehension on occasions.

• @Silverwolfpet said: Here's a question for the Wii version: Will it contain something more than the PC version? I mean, will you be able to make Guybrush use his sword on stuff, or duel, or climb on things etc?
    What's the difference between the PC and Wii versions?
    (okay, that's three questions, sorry:p)

I highly doubt the Wii will be able to do stuff the PC can't, plus that would just be unfair. Just like it would be unfair to do 10 episodes for the Wii and 5 on the PC due to 40MB upload limit sizes to the Wii via Wiiware.

however if you were able to do that sort of stuff I would demand to get the Wii version rather then the PC one. However as far as I seen nothing like that will be happening at all.

• @Chevluh said: Ahoy there, newcomer here.

It's more of a technical question, but will there be separate volume controls for the voices and music? Trying the W&G demo I felt the music got in the way of dialogue comprehension on occasions.

That was fixed in the full game.

• @Secret Fawful said: That was fixed in the full game.

It was only kind of fixed. They lowered the music volume, but still didn't allow for individual adjustment. Which was kind of a bummer

• Hi guys,

I loved MI 1-3, CMI being my all-time favorite game.
    I could never get myself to play MI4 for more than half an hour though. I simply hated the 3D graphics & controls too much, so I never finished that game. Same goes for a couple of other adventure games that moved to 3D. They simply lacked the atmosphere of their 2D counterparts.

Looking at the publicly available footage so far I am concerned TOMI will feel much the same as MI4. But I still went ahead and pre-ordered because I really appreciate the fact that you're bringing the series back and I want to support the effort in any way I can.

On the public forums, I've seen the 2D versus 3D debate pop up its ugly head again and again. Most people understand that it is simply a cost-issue. Hand-drawing every animation-frame and background would simply be too expensive.

I was wondering if you have experimented with getting the 3D to look more 'cartoony' using techniques like cel-shading?

I've seen this question asked before, but I haven't seen an answer to it yet.

• @Onno said: I was wondering if you have experimented with getting the 3D to look more 'cartoony' using techniques like cel-shading

Ah so that's how it's called :) And yes that would be a great 'alternative' between TMI's 3D and CMI's drawn graphics IMHO :)

• @Onno said: I was wondering if you have experimented with getting the 3D to look more 'cartoony' using techniques like cel-shading?

I've seen this question asked before, but I haven't seen an answer to it yet.

They did. See: Strong Bad's Cool Game 4 Attractive People. I personally prefer the full 3D like Sam & Max than how Strong Bad's game came out, not to say it was bad, but the little excess polygons around everyone's body parts did get a little distracting to me, personally.

• @Chevluh said: Ahoy there, newcomer here.

Yeah, there are 3 volume controls in TMI. I would eventually like to get us back to one volume control, but the mix in Wallace & Gromit was, all said and done, still too unpredictable, and I didn't want to take that risk with Monkey, so we're back to three!

• Thank you so much for this! I never thought I'd see another Monkey Island! I almost teared up when I saw the announcement, I definitely got excited like I had just found a long lost friend!

I have a couple of questions for Ryan:

1) Do you have an online gallery where we can look at your work? Both Either MI related or not.

2) Was 2D ever considered? I've been playing the first 3 MIs on ScummVM on my G1 phone and LOVE the graphics!

3) Can we get some Wallpapers? I want Guybrush on my desktop!

• @Jake said: Yeah, there are 3 volume controls in TMI. I would eventually like to get us back to one volume control, but the mix in Wallace & Gromit was, all said and done, still too unpredictable, and I didn't want to take that risk with Monkey, so we're back to three!

See, I like it with 3. Having one volume slider, you might as well have no volume slider at all, since I could just change my speaker volume. The multiple-slider method allows for user customization, so I don't see why you'd want to shy away from it, ever.

Add Comment