User Avatar Image

Give us the translations!

posted by jazzRic on - last edited - Viewed by 1.5K users

Dear TellTale,
we want, we need, the translation (subtitles at least) of Monkey Island in Italian and other languages.
If you don't give us a translation all the community will be very angry with you.
You can't do a game like MI excluding so many peoples...you can't.

Come on..

318 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • They have a short time frame to make this in
    And they might not have expected so many different nationalies popping up

It will get translated eventually

• They could have all the diaglouge stored in an XML file and then let the fans translate until it could be done officially!

• Personally I never play regionalised versions even if those would be available in my own language, because I like to enjoy the original voices and jokes.

But I assume that later we might see some other language versions, people just have to be patient.

• @Olaus Petrus said: Personally I never play regionalised versions even if those would be available in my own language, because I like to enjoy the original voices and jokes.

Same for me. I wouldn't want to watch/read it in my own language. Next to that, there are often a lot of languistic jokes in Monkey Island games that cannot be translated.

• @jazzRic said: Dear TellTale,
    we want, we need, the translation (subtitles at least) of Monkey Island in Italian and other languages.
    If you don't give us a translation all the community will be very angry with you.

Come on..

Sure they can!
    It's not their fault that there are people who can't understand Engilsh.
    Coming to think about it, not knowing English these days is a major drawback!

• Dear TellTale developers,

I am very happy that MI is continued after such a long time and I would also preorder it but I also would prefer a NON-ENGLISH-version (German) .
    I know that these version cannot be published simutaneously but it's a pity that I cannot find any information on your webpage (in FAQ) if such versions are planed.

Thank you very much.

• I also would prefer a non-english version, i hope they will translate it

• @jazzRic said: Dear TellTale,

Come on..

Telltale did not handle the translations of Sam and Max themselves (if I remember correctly). I believe the reason the Wallace and Gromit episodes had subtitles originally is due to the game being released on XBLA (I think that localised versions are necessary to release there). However I doubt you have anything to fear, I am fairly sure that they will go the same route as with Sam and Max, if Lucas Arts supports it.

• Having seen translated anime and European films, it's always amazing how much the translations get butchered.

I would recommend everyone watch Day Watch for a fine example of this.

Likewise, I can't understand why people who have a grasp of English would want to play Monkey Island translated, it'd most likely be butchered all the same. The only way this is usually avoided is with a large community working on translating something, so they can argue over the meanings and create the best overall translations.

That's why I think that Toothless Gibbon had the best idea, the best translation would come from providing a translatable file, just put all the subtitles in a human-parsable file and allow it to be translated that way. Just externalise the game's subtitles variables in other words.

I think that'd be far better in general than any official translation, for only people who are really passionate about the game could do a good job of it, I think. Just as only people who're passionate about such a game could make it.

• It's already been stated that the initial downloadable release will be in English only. Once the season is finished and collected for retail stores, usually then other language versions are made. However, it should be noted that localization is usually up to the distributor in your region, not Telltale.

Add Comment