User Avatar Image

Yep, TMI looks much worse than EMI.

posted by HoppyDragon on - last edited - Viewed by 1.8K users

I keep reading in comments on some of the news stories about Tales of Monkey Island that the graphics look worse than Escape from Monkey Island. I wouldn't care if they really did, but just for the sake of proving them wrong, let's compare.

"Escape from Monkey Island": Guybrush & Elaine
mi4profilelarge.jpg

"Tales of Monkey Island": Guybrush & Elaine
talesofmiguybrushandela.jpg

108 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I bought Psychonauts for XBLA, might have to give it a play through soon :P

• seeing the first two Guybrushes next to the newer ones make me appreciate them even more. and I'm getting really nostalgic here thanks to that pic.

• @Toothless Gibbon said: The only thing I would say about Tales' version of Guybrush, is that he looks a bit shiny, as if he's made from plastic. (Using the plastacine textures from W&G?)

Or dare I say... PORCELAIN!

• @VagrantWulf said: HoppyDragon's right about that, animation is one of the first things I notice when I'm looking at any animated medium. TTG have really outdone themselves this time.

As for the styles, I'm glad that ToMI looks like it does and not like Punchout or Psychonauts, the problem with Psychonauts and Punchout is something that I've mentioned elsethread: The people and locations look like they've been put through a dadaist filter, and the filter doesn't really understand how dada works, it just looks at the aesthetics and copies them.

In Psychonauts, I felt that it was trying very hard to look different, but in the end it just captured that Nickelodeon look that I'm not fond of. This person has his head juttng out an odd angle for no particular reason, this person has one eye ten times bigger than the other, this person has an impossible mouth, and so on.

I'd much rather see an art style that concentrates and focuses on quality than one that tries to hide the lack of quality in pure absurdity, which is something I feel the Punchout art above does. Take away the absurdity and it's actually very basic artwork, if they had better artists and animators, they wouldn't need to make it look so absurd to try and disguise that fact.

What baffles me is that people argue for that style, and I guess I'll never understand it, but I prefer seeing that a company has talented artists and animators that don't need to resort to that, rather than seeing that used as an excuse simply because they couldn't do a better job of it otherwise.

I'll also admit that limitations in technology come into this as well, that a better job couldn't be done because they didn't have enough polygons to throw around, and on platforms like the PS2 (which Psychonauts was also on) this is forgivable. But here's an example...

psychonauts-20050422041916675.jpg

If you take away the stylised look, you have some very flat art with next to no detail in it.

Now I'd prefer it if Psychonauts looked like this piece of art.

That's still stylised, but it's not the kind of stylised that's designed to hide a lack of detail, it looks a lot better to me than Psychonauts did.

That stylised kind of art that we see in Psychonauts, CMI, and quite a few NIckelodeon cartoons is usually down to the studio not being able to afford proper cartoon animation, or there being technological restrictions that limit the level of detail, which is hid in a stylised appearance.

To me, ToMI looks more like the bit of art I've linked above, and t hat's a good thing in my opinion.

It's just personal opinion, that's all it is, but that stylised look is usually put in place when something better can't be provided, and that's what it frequently looks like. Due to ToMI being able to do better than that (because they have a great stable of artists and the Wii doesn't have half the limitations of the PS2), that stylised art doesn't need to be present.

I hardly think the reason Punchout looks the way it does is because of a lack of talent! :D
    I never said it should look as goofy as Psychonauts or Punchout, but I do miss the inspired character design. As I mentioned earlier, the chef in MI3 for example.
    I posted a screen of Anno for Wii to show a half-realistic approach to characters, that would fit better with MI1 and 2. Remember that this is how the series started out:
    849474-pirate_3_super.jpg
    What Telltale is doing is a spinoff of what happened to the art style in episode 3, and is probably more close to the kind of character design you say you despise than the first two games anyway.
    I said I'd like to see how Double Fine would treat the franchise because they are really talented at making games in a similar artstyle to MI3. Take a look at Brütal Legend.

• @doom saber said: I've never played the ps2 ver of EoMI but I have read that that ver has more polygons

I would like to see screens comparsion of that and TMI

thats true i played emi on the ps2 and it did look a heck of a lot better than the pc version - like they just added 16xq anti aliasing and upped the resolution allot.

• @VagrantWulf said: psychonauts-20050422041916675.jpg

If you take away the stylised look, you have some very flat art with next to no detail in it.

Now I'd prefer it if Psychonauts looked like this piece of art.

That's still stylised, but it's not the kind of stylised that's designed to hide a lack of detail, it looks a lot better to me than Psychonauts did.

You are completely insane.

A. Psychonauts strong visual style worked in its favour more than anything else. That piece of art you posted is completely lifeless by comparison. I might also add that it is in 2d, so saying it is 'stylized but not in a manner that hides a lack of detail' is completely absurd considering you have not seen that style rendered in 3d.

B. Psychonauts strong visual style brought the eternally charming Scott C's work into 3D and was completely faithful to it. I do not see why you should slate an original art style with such nonsensical claims. If you do not like it then fair enough, yet the "lack of detail" argument is utterly unfounded.
    Edgar_concept.jpg

C. You would be hard pressed to find a game that has a visual style that is as strong as Psychonauts, especially in a world of super realism or anime-inspired trite. It imbued the game and characters with real life and vibrancy you shall simply not find elsewhere. Faulting Psychonauts's art direction seems completely irrational.

I trust you are going to slate Brütal Legend for precisely the same reasons as the same art team and animators with a lack of talent and eye for detail are behind it?
    94264-brutalthingie.jpgbr252tal-legend-20071105064344229-000.jp

• interesting..... I wasnt aware of the differences... and I had owned a PS2 copy... now I just own a PC copy..

• @abdallah said:
    I posted a screen of Anno for Wii to show a half-realistic approach to characters, that would fit better with MI1 and 2.

You have to remember that not everyone wants to return to the quasi-realistic graphics of the original games. In fact I would say more people seem to want the cartoony versions of the 3rd one, which seems to be what Telltale is trying to do but in 3d.

• Not sure how this got lost in the void of another topic.

@Jake said: PC version isn't constrained by the file size, and we haven't gone and done a lot of resolution optimization or polish yet, in either upres'd or downres'd, so the screenshots you're seeing are definitely in progress and not representative of what you'll be holding in your hands on release day (It'll look better :) ). I was concerned at first when we were just starting out, but at this point I'm pretty confident that we've got this, both on WiiWare and PC.

• @stemot said: You have to remember that not everyone wants to return to the quasi-realistic graphics of the original games. In fact I would say more people seem to want the cartoony versions of the 3rd one, which seems to be what Telltale is trying to do but in 3d.

I also believe Gilbert disliked the realistic look of the first two also.

[Source]
    (Scroll to the bottom of the post.)

Add Comment