User Avatar Image

Hoping for minimal continuity...

posted by GallifreyanBuccaneer on - last edited - Viewed by 454 users

Because then I can go on pretending that Escape from Monkey Island either never happened or that it happened and just had a way cooler and far more sensible ending than the one we saw. I'm talking about the HT thing mostly, of course..

But then I'm sure I'm not alone in this. The casting of Alex Boyd as Elaine is a good sign!

28 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Curse introduces plot holes as well.

But nobody cares about those.

I think nobody likes the art direction. It's painful to see the 3d models.

After much retrospect, I think Escape is given an overly hard time even if it is lacking a great bit from the older three.

• @PariahKing said: Curse introduces plot holes as well.

But nobody cares about those.

I think nobody likes the art direction. It's painful to see the 3d models.

After much retrospect, I think Escape is given an overly hard time even if it is lacking a great bit from the older three.

Painful for the old fans because they can't focus their eldery eyes on modern high res graphics, 3d models , they damaged them by looking at low res pixel art all day long every day of the week.

• I hate DisContinuity (when fans just ignore parts of a franchise because they don't like it). Likewise, I don't want TellTale or anyone ignoring the 4th game.

We get it, people of the internet. Some of you long-time fans didn't like EMI. 3d graphics were ugly. HT and the monkey head were gaping plot holes and blasphemies. There may have been some good things about the game, even things you didn't hate, but you don't want to talk about that.

Because a connection between two previously-considered-to-be-separate was made, and wasn't done in the most efficient, clear, or technically accurate way, you say throw the whole game out. People who liked it can just get over it. They have bad tastes anyway.

We get it.

But I for one don't share that view. If the game was made, it was made. It's in the canon. There are ways to harmonize the revelation of EMI with previous games. You can argue that characters misspoke on some of the details, for example.

But in the end, I personally find it insulting to the people who worked hard to make EMI, and to people like me who really enjoyed the game, for folks who've never made a game in their life to waltz in and say EMI sucked and should just be ignored. If you feel that way, you're entitled to your opinion. But I'm entitled to find it insulting.

In the end, I say, calm down. These are supposed to be fun adventure games. Find what you like about it, and what you don't like, don't have a fit over.

• Following taken from "The Giant Monkey Head: A Visual History" seen on
    http://home.comcast.net/~ervind/monkhead.html

"""According to Dave Grossman, the Giant Monkey Robot was an idea originally conceived for The Secret of Monkey Island. LeChuck's ship was supposed to transform into a giant robot at the end of the game. Then the Monkey Head would have become the Giant Monkey Robot, under Guybrush's control, and there would have been a battle.

So the bizarre ending of EMI is not entirely Sean and Mike's fault."""

• So they just used what would have been the ending to the first game, interesting????

• Where do those scans of what looks like a book come from?

• Funny, isn't it, how everyone on the internet assumes party B is 500% more angry than they actually are, isn't it? Be sure to let me know when I'm acting just like Hitler...

• @PariahKing said: Where do those scans of what looks like a book come from?

I don't see any in this thread, but I assume you mean the MI2 original artwork?

They're from Rogue Leaders. See here...

http://www.mixnmojo.com/features/read.php?article=rougeleaders

• I honestly don't think it is possible to stay true to all elements of the game. If certain things are used again, such as the Monkey Head (which MUST be in any monkey game) or Scumm Bar, they have to choose. If the Scumm Bar backs onto water, it's ignoring MI4, if it's in the middle of the island inexplicably, it's ignoring MI1.

Personally, I hate the lack of continuity in layouts on islands, and I wish there was a map where they said 'this is it' instead of everything having numerous supposed locations and the tri island area involving more than 3 islands. But that's just me :P

I think the best thing for future MI games to do, is to not be afraid of continuity, but also deciding how things are and keeping them like that. That way we don't have swarms of cont errors like in the last two.

What about the biggest continuity of all? Monkey Island's secret is completely changed despite it being revealed at the end of MI2 :-)

• @jp-30 said: I don't see any in this thread, but I assume you mean the MI2 original artwork?

They're from Rogue Leaders. See here...

http://www.mixnmojo.com/features/read.php?article=rougeleaders

Huh. Thanks. Reviews seem a bit dissapointing - I was hoping for like a 20 or 30 page expose on Monkey Island or adventure games. But it seems to jump around a lot.

Add Comment