User Avatar Image

Q&A With the Team

posted by Jake on - last edited - Viewed by 13.5K users

Welcome to the secret forum! As a thank you for pre-ordering, we've created this little backstage area where you can hang out with the development team, keep an eye on the development of Tales of Monkey Island, and hopefully get your hands on things before we go wide with them to the public.

First off, though, let's start a Q&A thread!

Any questions you've got for the development team, ask 'em here!
We'll try to dogpile this thread with high quality facts and higher quality lies conversation!

1.5K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Here's a question I think we all have, somewhere in our subcounscious. Will you implement the whole concept of "Easy version/Mega Monkey"?
    It was used in MI2 and MI3 which made the games really entertaining and replayable!

• @Todesreiter said: But on Wallace&Grommit Episodes there were german subtitles.
    I`ve download first Episode as pre-order Bonus and there are...
    and there are german menues and germanlike-grafik too,
    so why not the same for Tales of Monkey Island Episodes?

Or have they actualized the W&G Episodes later and on the first
    Release there was only in english?

Oh hey, that's an interesting point. I hadn't noticed that. Since I only purchased Wallace & Gromit a few days ago and not on release my answer will have to be that I don't know, really.:)

• Just preordered the thing myself. Since there are over 30 pages in this thread, I don't really have any questions. Telltale Games is the ONLY team that can pull this off. So, thanks for that. Can't wait for the first episode, and here's hoping to other legends of P&C adventures being resurrected (hint: Day of the Tentacle)! Greetings from Serbia!

• Here's another question, to satisfy my curiosity: How many people have pre-ordered ToMI uptil now?

• @ttg_Stemmle said: Oh, and no Monkey Kombat. I promise. Pinky swear. I've learned my lesson, really.

Hi, I know I'm in kinda late. This may be off topic but, I don't get why people hated Monkey Kombat so much.

• Is it just me or do characters look a lot more shinier than in your previous games? I can see my reflection in the back of Guybrush's head. By the way, I don't consider this a bad thing.

• User Avatar Image
    Dave Grossman Telltale Alumni

@Iron Curtain said: This is a question to Dave Grossman:

This website claims this:

the Giant Monkey Robot was an idea originally conceived for The Secret of Monkey Island. LeChuck's ship was supposed to transform into a giant robot at the end of the game. Then the Monkey Head would have become the Giant Monkey Robot, under Guybrush's control, and there would have been a battle.

Can you confirm or deny this? If true, why didn't SMI end this way?

I do remember tossing around a giant monkey robot idea. But then, we tossed around a lot of ideas that we didn't ultimately use. One day we thought it would be the greatest and funniest thing ever to have a ship crewed by chimpanzees. "Crew of chimps," we kept saying all day, laughing every time. The next day we thought better of it and abandoned the idea.

Similarly, I don't think the monkey robot lasted long once we really started thinking about it, and I'm glad it didn't. It wouldn't have been a very satisfying ending to that particular tale, which is otherwise carried out on a much more personal level. No, I think Guybrush and LeChuck had to go hand-to-hand at the end, that's just the kind of story it was.

• I've got a technical question. I know that you use your Telltale Tool as the engine in your games but I am curious what the actual process is, and also who created the engine in the first place. As a student currently studying for a degree in computer games programming I want to learn as much as I can about the various ways computer games are made.

• @Todesreiter said: But on Wallace&Grommit Episodes there were german subtitles.
    I`ve download first Episode as pre-order Bonus and there are...
    and there are german menues and germanlike-grafik too,
    so why not the same for Tales of Monkey Island Episodes?

Or have they actualized the W&G Episodes later and on the first
    Release there was only in english?

Somebody (I believe it was Jake) referred to the full localization of W&G from the start was "one of the benefits of making a game for Xbox Live Arcade" that got carried over into the PC version. Generally they don't do that. In fact, as far as I know, the Sam and Max games weren't translated until they got released as retail discs in Europe, and the Strong Bad games haven't been translated at all.

Correct me if I'm wrong here.

• Are there any plans for any more gameplay/ demo videos prior to the release date?

Add Comment