User Avatar Image

Q&A With the Team

posted by Jake on - last edited - Viewed by 13.5K users

Welcome to the secret forum! As a thank you for pre-ordering, we've created this little backstage area where you can hang out with the development team, keep an eye on the development of Tales of Monkey Island, and hopefully get your hands on things before we go wide with them to the public.

First off, though, let's start a Q&A thread!

Any questions you've got for the development team, ask 'em here!
We'll try to dogpile this thread with high quality facts and higher quality lies conversation!

1.5K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Seg

@Kezmoo said: Many people have asked about subtitle translations, but what about English? As I'm Hearing Impaired, I find subtitles extremely useful. It's a shame that in recent years, the dearth of any subtitle options have rendered many games unplayable for Deaf gamers :(

For English, there will be subtitles as with all Telltale games. Usually turned off by default, but a quick visit to the Option screen and flipping the switch will turn them on.

• User Avatar Image
    EricP Telltale Staff

@mhaley said: For all that we know, they may have a monkey in the office that pulls names out of a silly little hat. Which brings me to my next question. Does Telltale have a monkey in the office that pulls names out of a silly little hat?

He's a Bonobo and he pulls names from a very respectable and serious top hat.

He's also quite handy to have around when you're feeling indecisive about where you want to go for lunch.

• @EricP said: He's a Bonobo and he pulls names from a very respectable and serious top hat.

He's also quite handy to have around when you're feeling indecisive about where you want to go for lunch.

He also cleared up that lice infestation we had a few months back. Man I love that bonobo.

• User Avatar Image
    MarkDarin Telltale Staff

@EricP said: He's a Bonobo and he pulls names from a very respectable and serious top hat.

Oh, is name is Bonobo?!? I've been calling him Brendan all these years! :p

• @Dave Grossman said: One day we thought it would be the greatest and funniest thing ever to have a ship crewed by chimpanzees. "Crew of chimps," we kept saying all day, laughing every time.

Did you know that in the "Arabians Nights", more precisly in the 3th voyage of Sinbad the sailor, he arrived at the shores of a Monkey Island, where he and his crew are boarded by monkeys who left them adrift, and stole their ship?
    Its a really funny coincidence, i couldnt belive it when i read it.

Now my question for the team: Is "Tales.." gonna have its own excerpt "from the memoirs of Guybrush Threepwood: The Monkey Island Years"?

• User Avatar Image
    seanvanaman Telltale Staff

@MarkDarin said: Oh, is name is Bonobo?!? I've been calling him Brendan all these years! :p

BURN!

I highly recommend everyone do reading on the social behaviors of Bonobos by the way.

Bow-chicka-bow-wow...

• @Ronnie said: Hi, I know I'm in kinda late. This may be off topic but, I don't get why people hated Monkey Kombat so much.

Oh, there's two obvious factors.

First, it required you to write down a lot of stuff because the relationships between "insults" were abstract and weren't even partly memorized by the game and were too complex for most people to just keep in their heads. Contrast this to the insult systems of MI and COMI, which weren't abstract but instead worded sentences that were thus easy to memorize and had intuitive relationships to each other (thus enabling the real puzzle, which is to figure out how they similarly relate to Carla/Rottingham's insults), and half the memorization was offloaded to the game (even if you didn't remember the sentences you would find them in your list and could instinctively rebuild the relationships). Also makes them lack the fun, the smile on your face each time you utter them. Ook ook eek gets old much faster than you fight like a cow.

Second, all those nifty notes and memorizations you made on one playthrough were utterly useless on the next because the insult relationships were randomized on each playthrough. Which by that point in time had already been a cardinal gameplay sin for quite a while: if you make players take a lot of notes, then you'd better make sure these notes will not lose their values in the next playthrough.

• @seanvanaman said: BURN!

I highly recommend everyone do reading on the social behaviors of Bonobos by the way.

Bow-chicka-bow-wow...

Just think of all the wars we could end if we just followed their ways!

• @MarkDarin said: Oh, his name is Bonobo?!? I've been calling him Brendan all these years! :p

So that's why he was listed under "pets" in Season One! Here I was thinking there had been an incident with an overzealous fan.

@MarkDarin said: Just think of all the wars we could end if we just followed their ways!

Exactly. If women ruled the world everything would be immediately better and there would never be any problems ever again. That's what you meant, right?

• User Avatar Image
    Dave Grossman Telltale Staff

The world should be ruled by asparagus. THEN things would be peaceful.

Add Comment