User Avatar Image

Maps

posted by Gryffalio on - last edited - Viewed by 323 users

Am I the only one who gets a little twitch when he sees such blatant disregard of the way things are as was seen in MI4?

We have some brilliant islands in MI. Monkey Island was great in the original two games, and for me somewhat disappointing with the hotch-potch reproduction in MI4. Melee Island was also crucified by MI4. But there are some beautiful islands we haven't revisited. Monkey Island 2's Scabb, Booty and Phatt Island really helped make that period of MI2 one of my favourite in the MI-series. MI3 got Plunder Island looking nice and Blood Island was, in my opinion, one of the best islands in the game. And then MI4, even MI4 had a nice Lucre Island (which those who hated the property-developer story will vehemently deny).

But do we want to revisit these places? Part of me wants a new story allowing me to wander through these streets, but then part of me is scared that MI4-style trampling of my memories of these islands will take place.

This leads me to the title. What do you guys think about the maps changing in a way which couldn't be explained by time etc? I know there's another thread gathering dust on this topic, but what do we think about revisiting islands?

Most of all, are Telltale in any position to make a kind of definitive map of the islands? I know i'm a little unusual in my like for maps (though some of the original guys from the MI franchise shared this little quirk) but I really do think "setting the scene" as my old teachers would have said can only be done with reference to where we are. Islands such as Knuttin Atoll in MI4 could have been really immersive if Jambalya hadn't been sitting just off it (and obviously if there was't a school and rather over-the-top feel in general) but because of their situ, simply seemed subjugated (which, granted is what the MI4 guys wanted). Equally, there is a difference in feeling if Lucre is either just to the right of Melee (as in MI4) or at the other end of the map (as in Paco Vinc's fan-map). A poster of what has irritaningly become known as the "tri-island area" (monkey island universe) would be quite nice and possibly sell a bit; what do we think?

Anyway, i'll try to keep this post short and end it there so people might actually read this to the end :P

19 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
Add Comment