User Avatar Image

Q&A With the Team

posted by Jake on - last edited - Viewed by 6.2K users

Welcome to the secret forum! As a thank you for pre-ordering, we've created this little backstage area where you can hang out with the development team, keep an eye on the development of Tales of Monkey Island, and hopefully get your hands on things before we go wide with them to the public.

First off, though, let's start a Q&A thread!

Any questions you've got for the development team, ask 'em here!
We'll try to dogpile this thread with high quality facts and higher quality lies conversation!

1.5K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Chevluh said: Oh, there's two obvious factors.

First, it required you to write down a lot of stuff because the relationships between "insults" were abstract and weren't even partly memorized by the game and were too complex for most people to just keep in their heads. Contrast this to the insult systems of MI and COMI, which weren't abstract but instead worded sentences that were thus easy to memorize and had intuitive relationships to each other (thus ...(text cut short by me to save space).

I see your point but it just seems to me that that's what Loom was all about (what with chalking all the notes down which were also random each time).
    But then again I guess you don't have to like Loom to like Monkey

• @Dave Grossman said: The world should be ruled by asparagus. THEN things would be peaceful.

You mean we'd all be forced to eat vegetables only! AIIEEE!! *jumps out of a window*

*meat lovers all over the world declare war...mass panic ensues*

• @Ronnie said: I see your point but it just seems to me that that's what Loom was all about (what with chalking all the notes down which were also random each time).
    But then again I guess you don't have to like Loom to like Monkey

Loom's a bit different, because in Loom the formulas have to be written down, but they're still tied to very concrete stuff, the spell effects. ie the bit actually required for advancing through is, for example, that you use the hay-to-gold spell in your cell or whatever, so the problem just becomes to remember what the hay to gold spell is. It's a very linear relationship, not a fivefold rock-paper-scissor game triggered by combinations of ooks. Plus in Loom it was a central mechanic.

Also notice the "by that point in time" bit. Eleven years of gameplay evolution happened between Loom and EMI. If Loom were to be made today or even in 2001 I'm pretty sure it'd write down the spells for you, like the Zelda Wind Waker or Ocarina of Time games, which have somewhat similar magic systems, do. Or, well, like Monkey Island 2 did with the bone song.

In fact it's pretty interesting to see in the first 3 MI games they always ensure you have what you need to remember written down, and the puzzles that could be about memorization are instead about lateral thinking (the dances, shopkeeper and parrot are really the maps you need and when you complete the path once there's always a shortcut for the next trips, you have to complete recipes with the next best things, the core insult puzzles require you to answer to never-before-seen sets of insults, etc). EMI breaks that trend with Monkey kombat and to a lesser extent that bit with meeting yourself in the marshes of time.

• @Secret Fawful said: You mean we'd all be forced to eat vegetables only! AIIEEE!! *jumps out of a window*

*meat lovers all over the world declare war...mass panic ensues*

Your meat is eating my food. If you don't stop it, then I'm gonna shoot at you with dried peas until you get a flesh wound. This is my last warning... I may also eat the peas and create a huge Furz (just using one German word) that blows your nose... now I get hungry.

• So it's agreed.
    The Secret of Monkey Island is bonobos.
    Next question...
    How many heads does the office bonobo have?

• @Lena_P said:
    Exactly. If women ruled the world everything would be immediately better and there would never be any problems ever again. That's what you meant, right?

Well, if we're talking about women with a similar social approach to the bonobos,
    then this possibility is quite attractive :D

• @AndyBundy said: Your meat is eating my food. If you don't stop it, then I'm gonna shoot at you with dried peas until you get a flesh wound. This is my last warning... I may also eat the peas and create a huge Furz (just using one German word) that blows your nose... now I get hungry.

How Appropriate. You fight like a cow.

• First, thanks to Telltale for bringing back my most loved of all computer games.

A question for everyone/anyone working on the game. What do you think is the most important aspect of a Monkey Island game? What one thing really makes it special for you?

I know alot of people allways mention the humour in the game. For me, I was young when I first played, and I think the humour mostly passed me by. I still found bits fun/funny, but not laugh out loud funny. For me, Monkey Island is special because of the world it created, the atmosphere and real sense of adventure. Its the places, characters and situations that Guybrush ended up in that I remember the most.

So, what do the developers think? And how have you tried to keep the spirt of the old games alive in your new version?

• User Avatar Image
    Cez

@mintfresh said:
    A question for everyone/anyone working on the game. What do you think is the most important aspect of a Monkey Island game? What one thing really makes it special for you?

When I played this game my engrish was really bad.

<---born and raised in Venezuela.

But I still remember laughing to no end with the games. I'll be honest and say I never found SoMI that good, but Revenge and Curse were phenomenal and two of my fav adventure games. I still remember spinning the wheel in Revenge to get past the code protection -which for some reason got me thinking that the dials in Fate of Atlantis were some kind of protection code I did not have, but I'm drifting...

Anyhow, I replayed the monkeys before I joined Telltale, and I was still so happy when I played Revenge and Curse. The puzzles, the settings, the silly humor --Dying in Curse and then finding Stan after what you did to him in Revenge? I laughed so HARD at that and I still smile remembering it. Pure genius!

I don't think I really answered the question, or made much sense, but I just get all excited when I remember how lucky I am to be able to help on a Monkey game!

*dances*

• User Avatar Image
    Cez

@jukeboxhero said: Are there any plans for any more gameplay/ demo videos prior to the release date?

If there are, I'll be capturing them :P

I haven't heard anything so far, but I'm sure there'll be something.

Add Comment