User Avatar Image

The adventure begins... at E3!

posted by Emily on - last edited - Viewed by 2.1K users

This week, several members of our team will be at E3 showing off Tales of Monkey Island, giving interviews, and subsisting on candy bars from the vending machine when the lunch lines turn out to be too long having a grand old time. And as a Tales of Monkey Island preorderer, we're going to let you in on the joys of being at E3 -- just like you were here with us!

Not sure what the web access will be like at the show, but we'll try to check in each day and let you guys know how it's going and where to look for Tales of Monkey Island coverage. I'll kick it off by saying that after a mostly uneventful flight, I arrived in LA and checked in to the hotel to find six boxes of Tales of Monkey Island buttons waiting for me. And that's only half the stash! The rest will be arriving tomorrow. We'll be handing them out at the show - hopefully in an amusing fashion. Watch later this week for pictures. 'Til then, here's a shot of the buttons, to tide you over...

monkey_buttons.jpg

I'm off to find some lunch (fully recognizing that this could be my last real meal for a week), then heading to the convention center to get our booth set up. First interview's tonight, with Adventure Gamers, then the show officially opens tomorrow!

249 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @der_ketzer said: I think I would have kissed your feet if I had been there.

Clearly you've never been to E3. No amount of money in the world would get me to kiss the feet of someone who has been walking around the convention center floor for 3 days.

• User Avatar Image
    Dave Grossman Telltale Staff

@Silverwolfpet said: How did the people react when you announced ToMI? Were they excited? Or, did most of them try to figure out what the hell that means...?

@Silverwolfpet said: People were very excited! Everyone I met with at E3 was twitching to some extent. (And not just because we were at a video game show.)

Okay, there was one guy who, when I asked if he'd ever played Monkey Island, replied, "I think my brother played part of one of them, and I might have watched him, once."

But everyone else was super stoked. :D

Emily and I were showing the game to some folks in a semi-public area, and a guy walked by behind us who hadn't seen the announcement yet, and he saw the desktop of the laptop that said "Tales of Monkey Island" on it. He stopped and stared, and then the dialog went something like this:

GUY: Is that a new Monkey Island game?
    ME: Yep!
    GUY: No!
    ME: Yes, it is.
    GUY: You're kidding!
    ME: Nope, not kidding. New monkeys!
    GUY: No way, you're kidding me!
    ME: No, I'm not. We're making a Monkey Island series. We're demoing it right now.
    GUY: Really?
    ME: Yes.
    GUY: It's not a put-on?
    ME: Nope, it's a Monkey Island series.
    GUY: Wow, that's great!
    (Exit Guy.)

• Hee-hee-hee!
    My brother didn't believe me at first. He thought I was pulling a prank on him. Then I showed him some gameplay and he said something like: "Finally! What took them so long?!"
    I bet the feeling that you guys felt was undescribeable. Oh, I wish I could've been there!

• @Silverwolfpet said: Hee-hee-hee!
    My brother didn't believe me at first. He thought I was pulling a prank on him. Then I showed him some gameplay and he said something like: "Finally! What took them so long?!"
    I bet the feeling that you guys felt was undescribeable. Oh, I wish I could've been there!

My brother reacted like your one:

Me: DUDE! A new Monkey Island game was just announced!
    Brother: No way, dude...
    Me: Way
    Brother: ...:eek:
    Me: Come look at the computer
    Brother: Oh me geeaod (in the true pronouncement of Cartman)

And his been Cartman-ish since that moment, I'm so proud of him. :D

• @Dave Grossman said: Emily and I were showing the game to some folks in a semi-public area, and a guy walked by behind us who hadn't seen the announcement yet, and he saw the desktop of the laptop that said "Tales of Monkey Island" on it. He stopped and stared, and then the dialog went something like this:

GUY: Is that a new Monkey Island game?
    ME: Yep!
    GUY: No!
    ME: Yes, it is.
    GUY: You're kidding!
    ME: Nope, not kidding. New monkeys!
    GUY: No way, you're kidding me!
    ME: No, I'm not. We're making a Monkey Island series. We're demoing it right now.
    GUY: It's not a put-on?
    ME: Nope, it's a Monkey Island series.
    GUY: Wow, that's great!
    (Exit Guy.)

LOL! :D Awesomely memorable moment!

• @Sheepbrush said: I'm so proud of him. :D

I'm proud of my little brother too! Now, he sits quietly in a corner, drooling and mumbling from time to time "July 7th"... Waiting is not one of his virtues.

• Lol, I got all excited because I thought it was being released on June 7th. I was very disappointed that day. XD

• Here's some of the press that came out of our E3 adventure:

GameSpy
    GamePro
    Wired Blog
    Destructoid
    G4 Preview | G4 Mike Stemmle Interview | G4 Video
    Kotaku
    Joystiq
    IGN Preview | IGN Mike Stemmle Interview

I have a few other pictures on my camera, too, haven't had a chance to upload them yet...

• That first pirate Guybrush talks to in that G4-video (not counting the one behind the door), is that the voice of Harry from the Sam & Max-games?

• I was talking to me mate ricky C.. talking about the special edition MI.. and i go hopefully this means MI5 will be released quickly... i google mi5 just as i would every 2 - 3 months.. and there was the orgasmic feeling.. blood rush... everything

WO WA WE WA

Me: Bro NEW MONKEY ISLAND IS COMING OUT
    brother: cool. when
    me: july 7
    end convo

Add Comment