User Avatar Image

Lechuck should be scary this time around!

posted by presidentmax on - last edited - Viewed by 140 users

After the announcement of the new monkey island game i was so excited that i went and played through the first 3 monkey island games from start to finish.

I noticed alot of changes as the series progressed. One being Lechuck.

I want to know how you think telltale will intepret Lechuck. Is it me or did he become less of a threat in the third game, i never really felt scared of him.

While in the second game, i was jumping at fright everytime he appeared to attack me at the end of the game (and i'm 20 years old )

I really hope they make him more sinister and frightening this time around. Draw more influence from his earlier interpretations.

37 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Zombie LeChuck is also my favourite version of the character. Very spooky, evil vilain. Like others on this board, I jumped every time he appeared in the underground tunnels - and I still do. I hope LeChuck in Tales of MI is more like his MI2 self : evil and scary, if not very bright. In my opinion, that's what LeChuck is supposed to be.

I must say that even if I like the art style of ToMI, I really dislike LeChuck's design, with those gigantic lips and teeth. I think he looks more ridiculous than frightening :/ But anyway, things have time to change until the release, and in the end, it's the writing which will make the difference.

@Gryffalio : very interesting post :)

• Yeah Zombies are awesome too.

• Remember how LeChuck in MI2 said he was going fry Guybrush in acid and then take what was left of his still living bones and have the bones made into a chair? And then he said he was going to sit in it every morning and listen to Guybrush scream. He was going to call it his "screaming chair."

That was class. More of that please! :)

• In retrospect the huge lips on LeChuck in CMI looked awful, but I have to say his demon pirate form was impressive-- the whole scene in which the two pirates find his floating boots and end up getting skeletonized and enslaved to this fiery thing that can't be stopped... that's some seriously powerful villain.

Which is why it was so WRONG to reduce him to Ozzie Mandrill's second-rate henchman.

• Gryffalio's post was pretty cool.

• I thought he was a good villain in Curse. That last scene on the rollercoaster was pretty intense, and in terms of puzzles it was more enjoyable than Dinky Island. I thought MI2 was a freaky ending, but it was also freaking retarted. His brother? Evil voodoo spells? I thought it was all a bit....shit. That's why I preferred 3.

• Whether or not you agree that LeChuck looked scary from CMI onwards at any point, I think you should all prepare to be disappointed if you're expecting him to act or appear in any way threatening:
    talesofmi_lechuck.jpg

That combined with unforgivable new voice makes me fear for the new Lechuck. Hopefully he won't look as terrible when he turns human .

• @yummysoap said: Whether or not you agree that LeChuck looked scary from CMI onwards at any point, I think you should all prepare to be disappointed if you're expecting him to act or appear in any way threatening:

That combined with unforgivable new voice makes me fear for the new Lechuck. Hopefully he won't look as terrible when he turns human .

I kind of like the new LeChuck, he has certain craziness in his look. And to be honest Chuckie isn't most mentally stable character, so the new look fits to the character, because it brings personality.

• I think he just looks like a clown. His mouth is, like, bigger than the monkey's head that he's holding, and I have a feeling Guybrush could pretty much take a bath in that hat.

The real problem I have, though, is with that raspy cat-screech "THREEEEEEPWOOD" he gives at the start of the trailer. It's the most pathetic attempt at Earl Boen's LeChuck that I've ever heard.

That said, I thought Guybrush's image and lines were pretty underwhelming in the trailer, but the gameplay footage I saw has somewhat changed my mind.

• Yeah. I think he hit the note a little wrong. I'm not sure how they do the recordings (though Dominic Armato in the pre-orderer's forum has enlightened us a bit), but i'm a little surprised they didn't get him to do a second take.

I think people should give the new guy a chance, though. I thought Boen was great, but things don't last forever, and I think there are many more positives in this game than the negatives, which we can get stuck on (me included).

Add Comment