User Avatar Image

Can we ever re-capture the happiness of youth?

posted by Shanksworthy on - last edited - Viewed by 192 users

I remember when I was young, how the LucasArts adventures and especially SoMI provided epic levels of escapism for me. But it recently occured to me that I may be just over-romanticizing the *memory* of how much I enjoyed it...

Does anybody think that it's possible to re-capture the epic enjoyment we remember getting from our first MI experience, or do you think that's just an exercise in "chasing the dragon"? Thoughts...?

47 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I think that stuff we remember from our childhood and teenage years will always seem better, because we had less responsabilities, more free time, etc.

    But to be honest I think stuff was better before. Maybe games are technically better nowadays, but in early 90's there was a great deal of love in their creation. Now games are an industry where they do focus groups, marketing, etc, etc which takes a lot of the risk developers would take and a lot of the creativity and spontaneity.

    Even music and movies were better, not to say that everything was better. TV shows have some brilliant examples of quality nowadays like Lost. But mostly there is a factor of nostalgia, but being objective there was a special magical element that is lacking from entertainment these days. Maybe it is a sign of how different society is now.

    I'm still hopeful though that I will continue to be amazed by stuff thanks to amazing guys like those from Telltale. Just try to see things and act like a child no matter your age as was mentioned in this thread before :-)

  • How can you honestly say that music and movies were better? I mean just recall all that absolute crap we had to deal with when it came to movies! It was really, really bad! I can honestly sit and watch old movies and foretell what's going to happen. Now, the car will blow up! Now, he will get stabbed. It was all so stupid and predictable. Dialogue was plastic. Characters were just non-likeable. I watched Back to the Future 1-3 and always hated Michel J Fox.

    Somewhere around 2000, something happened. Producers learnt dialogue. they learnt personality and mostly; the music actually enhanced the experience.

    Nowadays I can watch stuff like American Idol and get moved by emotions. This only because nowadays, they are extremely skilled and have extreme knowledge about how to touch our hearts. They film facial expressions, they put the exact music needed on there and everything just works so well. We have taken some pretty radical steps the last decade.

  • Music nowadays make my head hurt... I think its because I am getting old...

  • music nowadays is soulless, and sung purely for profit.Everything seems to revolve around record companies, rather than bands enjoying making their music.
    I tend to appreciate music from the 70s and 80s a load more than any modern music.

  • @serweet said: music nowadays is soulless, and sung purely for profit.Everything seems to revolve around record companies, rather than bands enjoying making their music.
    I tend to appreciate music from the 70s and 80s a load more than any modern music.


    Maybe you should just stay away from today's mainstream, then?

    There's lots of bands making interesting and fresh music nowadays, you just won't hear them on Top-Umpty-pap playing radio stations...

    np: Tosca - Busenfreund (Philippe Lussan Dub) (Suzuki In Dub)

  • No offence to anyone, but pop punk = bleh.
    Music has been weak since the mid 90's.
    And as for the answer to whether you'll ever feel that sense of escapism again, the answer is - No one knows. Try to achieve it. It's all you can do with life. If you try and remember, you didn't really appreciate it this much when you were actually PLAYING the game... It was afterwards...

  • @Leak said: Maybe you should just stay away from today's mainstream, then?

    There's lots of bands making interesting and fresh music nowadays, you just won't hear them on Top-Umpty-pap playing radio stations...

    np: Tosca - Busenfreund (Philippe Lussan Dub) (Suzuki In Dub)



    oh I do, i listen to the punk-ska/punk-rock scene that is around, such as Goldfinger; but I've yet to come across a band with the charm of Queen, or the ambience of Clapton.

  • @serweet said: oh I do, i listen to the punk-ska/punk-rock scene that is around, such as Goldfinger; but I've yet to come across a band with the charm of Queen, or the ambience of Clapton.


    Can't help you there - what is this "punk" you speak of?

    np: Tarwater - Captain (Not Given Lightly (Disc 2))

  • @Leak said: Can't help you there - what is this "punk" you speak of?

    np: Tarwater - Captain (Not Given Lightly (Disc 2))



    well, I listen to The Ramones, Sex Pistols and Blondie; but then there is punk rock, such as Bad Religion which has now spanned out to ska influences with some bands, like Goldfinger and Less Than Jake where there is brass used aswell as the guitars and kit.
    I like it, but to most people, it's not their cup of tea.

  • @Shanksworthy said: I remember when I was young, how the LucasArts adventures and especially SoMI provided epic levels of escapism for me. But it recently occured to me that I may be just over-romanticizing the *memory* of how much I enjoyed it...

    Does anybody think that it's possible to re-capture the epic enjoyment we remember getting from our first MI experience, or do you think that's just an exercise in "chasing the dragon"? Thoughts...?



    Offtopic: South Park really ruined my life... my first thought was http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/155898

    Ontopic: If someone can make Tales as good as the classic ones.. it would be Telltale!! So yes it must be possible!!

Add Comment