User Avatar Image

Please increase the sound quality for voices

posted by neilka on - last edited - Viewed by 819 users

As has been noted in several threads of yore, the sound quality used for voices in past Telltale releases has been lower than some people would like. The voices sound overcompressed and clipped, which is especially evident when a character says the letter "s".

(To head this off at the pass - I realise that some people either don't notice or don't care about this problem, in which case forget you ever read this thread and don't try listening for it!)

With Dominic Armato back on board, it'd be an extraordinary shame for the voices to fall victim to the same problem again. So I beseech you Telltale, please increase the amount of data allocated to voices this time around so that Guybrush's esses (and other letters) can ring out across the Caribbean with the clarity they deserve.

Thank you!

100 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Check out this hearing test:
    http://www.flashpresskits.com/hearingtest/

The highest frequency I was able to hear was 17,500 Hz. I'd be curious to know how other people "score" on this, and whether or not they have noticed issues with the recorded dialog in previous Telltale games.

(If I were more ambitious, I'd start a new thread about this.)

• @salmonmax said: Check out this hearing test:
    http://www.flashpresskits.com/hearingtest/

The highest frequency I was able to hear was 17,500 Hz. I'd be curious to know how other people "score" on this, and whether or not they have noticed issues with the recorded dialog in previous Telltale games.

(If I were more ambitious, I'd start a new thread about this.)

I was able to hear up to 22,050 Hz, and I do indeed hear the compression artifacts in the speech.

• @HoppyDragon said: I was able to hear up to 22,050 Hz, and I do indeed hear the compression artifacts in the speech.

Wow! You can hear the highest frequency? That's impressive. I think all the doggone rock 'n roll music has taken its toll on my hearing.

• My ears crapped out at ~14kHz last I checked.

@Telltale - how about at least adding a tweakable low-pass filter (or, if you're at it, a 12-band EQ) for the voices ONLY? That'd mostly get rid of the high frequency artifacts for those of us that are irritated by them...

np: Cage - Follow The Bleeder (I Never Knew You)

• @salmonmax said: Wow! You can hear the highest frequency? That's impressive. I think all the doggone rock 'n roll music has taken its toll on my hearing.

I listen to quite a bit of "rock and roll" too. Like loud bass as well. I've always had really good hearing, despite how loud I've been known to listen to music.

• @Mr Party Hat said: I think this is a very dangerous attitude to adopt. We should just be glad of new MI games, regardless of quality? The reason we want new MI games is because of the quality of the previous ones, if the new ones aren't up to scratch it'll kill any enthusiasm stone dead. If they use the same quality that they did for S&M, that'll mean the voices will sound worse than they did nine years ago, in Escape. Which would just be bizzare.

Adventures have been dead for years. The fact that we're getting decent adventure games at ALL (let alone Sam & Max and Monkey Island adventures made by the original developers!!!) is entirely a blessing. The only way things will improve is if we continue to support the genre as best we can. Things aren't magically going to become the way you want them to by not supporting them.

Normally I'd agree with you, but adventures are still on very shaky ground and the scales could tip either way depending on what the consumers choose to do with their money. I choose to support a fragile genre rather than expect it to grow in quality and scope without contributing anything. That guy was right. TTG aren't some huge company that can do whatever we ask. They're still growing and they need our support. That's only a dangerous attitude to adopt when you're blindly following a large corporation willing to take advantage of your money just to get more. They don't need that much money. TTG really does need it. It's not dangerous, it's necessary.

• @MusicallyInspired said: TTG aren't some huge company that can do whatever we ask...

We're asking them to click a different button. The one that saves voice samples in a higher quality.

We've been asking them for three years.

• @HoppyDragon said: I was able to hear up to 22,050 Hz, and I do indeed hear the compression artifacts in the speech.

I can hear up to that, too, and I've never really noticed any problems with the audio.
    Or if I have, I don't remember it, and it certainly didn't bother me enough to stop playing the series...as some of the above people claim. :/

Still, I'm all for bigger download sizes each month if it'll improve the quality of the games' sound.

• @Planeforger said:
    Still, I'm all for bigger download sizes each month if it'll improve the quality of the games' sound.

You know, ultimately it probably comes down to it being a business decision. I can't imagine that it would be too difficult to increase the sound quality, but if it increases the download size, it increases their bandwidth usage for each download. So while it may only result in, say, a file size that's 20 MB bigger, multiply that by however many thousands of purchases, the increased bandwidth may have a real effect on their bottom line. Considering the fact that those of us with this particular complaint appear to be in the minority, it might just not make financial sense for them to remedy the problem.

(Of course, this is pure speculation. Maybe they're just evil and don't give a crap about their fans. That seems less likely, however.)

That being said, while I can appreciate their reasoning, why can't they charge those of us in the minority an extra dollar or so per episode for a special "super premium" version with higher audio quality? People that say "what compression artifacts?" can continue to get the standard version. Those of us that cringe whenever a game character says a word containing an 's' can be rewarded for their complaining by paying an extra dollar.

Seems fair to me. Of course, all of this may be wasted energy, and we may be all pleasantly surprised by the sound quality when the final product comes out. *fingers crossed*

• Either I have gaps in my hearing range, or it's my speakers/sound card. On that test, I can hear up to 17,500. I can't hear much above that, but when it hits 20,000 I can hear it loud and clear. I can hear everything after that with no problems, including 22,050. But I can't hear 22,000.

Add Comment