User Avatar Image

Why people would choose between great stories and great graphics?

posted by Guybrush_Threepwood on - last edited - Viewed by 507 users

After arguing with a lot of other Monkey Island fans, this question's being haunting my mind.
As soon as I asked for better graphics, people said that they prefer a game which is funny, humorous, with a great gameplay and a great story.
What I'm asking for is this: WHY do you think great graphics exclude every other aspect we know and love in the MI series?
Why do you always choose between graphics and story, graphics and gameplay, graphics and humour etc.?
What I love most about MI is certainly something that prescinds from graphics, but I don't see the reason why a great MI game shouldn't have great graphics.
One of the answers I mainly received was: "MI would be crap with Crysis graphics, stop asking for realism".
No one among us complaining ever asked for realism, don't you know the beautiful cartoony stile that can be obtained with great graphics?
No one's ever be speaking of realism.
Sure, I'd like the MI sea to look more like a sea, does this mean I'm not a "real" fan?
Some of you weren't even born when I was playing MI1 for the first time, so I don't understand where this kind of who-cares-of-graphics-doesn't-love-adventure-games came out from.
We the hardcore fans want just the best of the best for a MI game, so the complaining about the graphics is perfectly normal.
I think that a game, to be considered "great", must be great under every aspect, including graphics.
A great game is even greater with great graphics.
The paradox is that some of you consider great graphics like a flaw.
I agree when you all say "first other things, then graphics".
Well, OK, other things are there, we're all glad to see MI back.
Now, it's graphics' turn.

Edit: here's a simple example of awesomeness.
attachment.php?attachmentid=91823

57 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • If a game has great gameplay, it would take a lot for it to suck. If a game has great graphics it can still suck in many aspects.

Good gameplay is just so fundamental. Just search for AVGN's or irategamer's reviews on youtube. Gameplay always comes first. It makes you not want to toss out the game out the window and is the most crucial part for a game being good. Any gamer knows this.

I'm not sure why some people want to choose between graphics and xxx, but it's probably just a "stroke-mine-and-I'll-stroke-yours" club between fans where graphics represent "shallow" and the other part represent "deep".

Also, you write that some consider great graphics to be a flaw, but this is just not true. Of course everyone wants great graphics. However, a game like MI 4, when it came out- was not great graphics. It was new but shitty graphics- just like Myst 5. So, that's the perspective of some people in situations where they don't feel the need to point out the obvious.

• @onlyamonkey said: If a game has great gameplay, it would take a lot for it to suck. If a game has great graphics it can still suck in many aspects.

Ok, but if a game has great gameplay, it can only get better and better with great graphics. It's something like: put a good clip frame on a great picture to improve it.
    Obviously, the picture first, and the clip frame after.

• @Guybrush_Threepwood said: The paradox is that some of you consider great graphics like a flaw.

It's an indirect flaw for 2 reasons:

1) It raises hardware requirements, alienating part of the potential user base

2) Money is limited. For small/medium companies especially. Graphics cost money, as do gameplay and story. If one has to suffer I prefer it to be graphics. Most Big companies seem to disagree, which saddens me plenty.

Don't get me wrong, I love pretty graphics as much as anyone else. The issue is that a second paradox emerges:

Some of you seem to consider great graphics a necessity.

• If you speak of "indirect" flaw, then I can see why and partially agree with 1) and 2)
    About the second paradox, I don't agree: we just think that a great game, to be such considered, must be great under every point of view.
    Taking a lot of care for graphics, obviously after taking care of what's more important, can only let the game charming and enchanting to see.
    I don't see why people are contenting themselves.
    It is true that, if there's a need to sacrify an aspect, it must be graphics.
    But, in a way, I just think a lot of people here are contenting themselves, with the poor excuse to consider graphics shallow.
    Graphics alone don't make a great game, but can help improving even more a game that's already wonderful.
    I love TTG, I love what they're doing, I'm following them since 2004 and I'll support them 'til death.
    But there's nothing wrong (and nothing shallow) on requesting better graphics.
    By the way, do you really like the way the sea has been rendered in TMI? Honestly, c'mon.

• @Guybrush_Threepwood said: By the way, do you really like the way the sea has been rendered in TMI? Honestly, c'mon.

Hum... yes?

By the way, ever heard of Introversion? A rather successful Indie company that doesn't even have graphic artists and yet some of their games have been considered to have some of the best atmospheres in recent years (Defcon in Particular)

• I've took a look, thanks!
    Well, anyway I think it's just a matter of personal taste: I don't like the rendering of the sea, you do. It's OK.
    What I really want people to understand is that even a hardcore long time fan of MI (like me) can care about graphics and that doesn't mean he's a newbie to computer games and is easily impressed by every crappy game if it's got great graphics.
    We who are complaining about graphics are doing this just because we love MI that much that we'd love it to be perfect.
    It's not possible, but please stop with this policy of "you care of graphics, you're not a fan".
    MI rules, MI's the best, we ask for the most possible perfection, even graphical.
    If it ain't possible, no problem, I'll enjoy TMI anyway and every other MI game that will come out.
    I'd just love better inspiring graphics, that's all.

• Sorry for crossing posts, but this HAS to be said here too.
    Now look at THIS:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=91823
    Do you still think great graphics would be pointless? This looks painly awesome... (thanks viz)

• @Guybrush_Threepwood said: Do you still think great graphics would be pointless? This looks painly awesome... (thanks viz)

Looks awesome, just like Doom3's models. And that just killed the Doom franchise... :D

np: Jackie Leven & The Stornoway Girls - Pale Blue Eyes (The Haunted Year: Spring - Greetings From Milford)

Add Comment