User Avatar Image

Character not saying the sentence you chose from the convo tree, also in ToMI. why?

posted by Mataku on - last edited - Viewed by 364 users

something that's been bugging me in EMI and Taletell's S&M, and that I've seen here that's been carried on to ToMI is that thing where you're given sentence choices and when you pick one, the character doesn't exactly say that sentence, but rather starts a conversation about the idea that the chosen sentence represents. You can see in the video, the player selects "prepare to be boarded" but guybrush starts talking with "heave to..." and all that. I don't know why this has become the norm in games that have convo trees. When I choose a sentence I expect to hear the character say it, if not only to assure myself that i actually DID choose that sentence and my hand didn't slip or something, but mostly because it just makes sense. Am I the only one who's bothered by this?

Also, doesn't the captain's shirt remind you of Prince Alexander from 'king's quest 6'?

49 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I'm not bothered by it at all, as long as the lines essentially mean the same thing. Why would you want to hear them speak out the same line you just read? That'd get a bit repetitive.

• yes, i find it interesting also, its like u get two dialogs in one, as long as the writings are good. also, anyone remember the joke from earlier mi games, when u get dialog options to say something brave, i cant quite remember in which scene, but whatever you choose guybrush would say something sissy

• @Mataku said: something that's been bugging me in EMI and Taletell's S&M, and that I've seen here that's been carried on to ToMI is that thing where you're given sentence choices and when you pick one, the character doesn't exactly say that sentence, but rather starts a conversation about the idea that the chosen sentence represents. You can see in the video, the player selects "prepare to be boarded" but guybrush starts talking with "heave to..." and all that. I don't know why this has become the norm in games that have convo trees. When I choose a sentence I expect to hear the character say it, if not only to assure myself that i actually DID choose that sentence and my hand didn't slip or something, but mostly because it just makes sense. Am I the only one who's bothered by this?

Also, doesn't the captain's shirt remind you of Prince Alexander from 'king's quest 6'?

Now I think people are nitpicking just a little too much. Sometimes this method of dialog can be used for a comedic effect. It was present in MI2 as well.

• It also saves from typing the whole response verbatim in the dialogue options. I like it because I think it makes it easier to be sure what your character is trying to say and, like previously mentioned, it gets boring just hearing what you have already just read.

I apologise if the above doesn't make much sense, not sure if I'm getting my point across how I want it - I blame too many vodkas & cheap red bull alternatives.

• Yes, it's OK as long as both options are well written.

It's like when you think about an idea in your head and then when you tell it, you don't use the same exact words. I guess it's to simulate that.

Games like Mass Effect use it too.

• It all depends. I've played games (not necessarily adventure games) that I picked a certain dialog choice and it ends up totally different from what I thought it meant. I've gotten myself in trouble in Harvest Moon and Steambot Chronicles more than a few times.

Luckily, adventure games from Telltale and the old LucasArts don't penalize you for selecting silly written or double-meaning answers.

• @Edward VanHelgen said: yes, i find it interesting also, its like u get two dialogs in one, as long as the writings are good. also, anyone remember the joke from earlier mi games, when u get dialog options to say something brave, i cant quite remember in which scene, but whatever you choose guybrush would say something sissy

Imagine this...

Guybrush is surrounded by an overwhelming number of sword wielding pirates, and you, the player choose the dialogue option, "I will keelhaul the lot of you, and spit on your graves, you lolly lickers," but instead, Guybrush says, "Uh, nice day, isn't it?"

It would be hazardous to Guybrush's health to make an insulting comment at a time such as that, but having the option is still amusing.

• yeah. it's wicked boring reading a whole line and then having to sit there while they say it. plus it ruins jokes. in sam and max a lot of the jokes would have been just "heh" if you read them verbatim in the dialog tree. it's much funnier to be surprised at something hilarious that they say out loud based on an dialog "mood" you chose

• this is nitpicking but a good point as straying away from the 'script' often doesn't feel right and in many cases is just waffle. It bothers me where the essence of the chosen dialogue option isn't expressed such as the example where "prepare to be boarded!" alone would have sufficed. I liked how CMI was tighter with this and stuck more to the script and what you chose guybrush to say. I think this is an important gameplay element. 'Off-script' jokes can always be added in a followup sentence after the main dialogue choice. Perfect example is (can't remember exact but something like):

Dialogue choice: "back in grade-school they used to call me the DART master!"

Guybrush says: "back in grade-school they used to call me the DART master! or something that rhymed with that anyway

Add Comment