User Avatar Image

A discussion of software piracy

posted by IronCladChicken on - last edited - Viewed by 8.5K users

I was just reading the The Inquirer that the release version of Vista is apparently already available to download illegally - I was just checking this out (to save me from doing any actual work - I've an MSDN account so I was just being curious - so ner :p )

At the same time, I noticed Culture Shock was also listed on a couple of sites (the download included the game with crack) and had apparently been available at least since last Wednesday.

I'd guess the copy protection is there to dissuade the more casual users piracy attempts - But then again I guess P2P software is used by a lot of casual users these days too? :confused:

339 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • unfortunate but inevitable
    I think most gamers do have a conscience though.

• @numble said: Maybe a well-timed joke about the problems with game piracy in a future episode could make the pirates feel guilty about stealing the game and pay the low-price it costs to support Telltale.

I like this idea. :D

• There's ups and downs about pirating softwares (Note: I am not saying I am for nor against pirating).

For example, to some people that Sam & Max Episode 1 demo seems too short even for a demo. I can say that some people may have played a pirated copy of the episode 1 all the way to the end and they like it so much that they're buying the full season.

At the same time, there's always way poor, poor little kids who doesn't have access to credit card or know anything about the hard working labor of programming, developing, designing a video game, no matter how long the game is, those people who work on the game deserve a share of the profit from the software, but yet, they just don't understand that concept. The only concept they know is INTERNET = EVERYTHING IS FREE.

• Can't you figure out which code has been used on that pirated copy? Then you can ban it and the guy or girl who pirated it?

It's sad though.

And I've seen people up to fifty years old, who downloads pirated material as well.. so there's no excuse that the downloaders are kids.

• @Emily said: I like this idea. :D

Make the episode and make the criminal end some somewhere all people are very scared, like a army camp with a sargent that treats all like they should kill themselfs! that will make a laugh!

• @Trixie said: Make the episode and make the criminal end some somewhere all people are very scared, like a army camp with a sargent that treats all like they should kill themselfs! that will make a laugh!

hhmm.... Weird al's videoclip - Don't Download This Song... hhmm...

• Well, say goodbye to anymore generous giveaways.

• hmmm?
    I don't see how the fact that the game has been pirated has anything to do with the give aways. I would think give aways would encourage those who are too poor to pay the paltry fee per episode to earn their game.

• The people that are downloading illegal copies and not buying the game are having a detrimental effect on the future of Sam & Max. If we want games like Sam & Max to exist we have to support a company like Telltale. It's really quite sad that people would put up a game like this for illegal download. :mad:

• Maybe Telltale should start considering to make out of games 2 different files: a small sized one for the demo version, and the complete one to be given through a link just to the ones who have already bought the game.
    Since everyone on this forum loves and supports Telltale, it'd be very hard that one of us lets the complete game available for P2P and, more generally, file sharing programs.
    Doing this, piracy against their games can be at least slowed down, probably not defeated (that's just impossible).
    If they don't have the whole game, they can't crack it up.
    What do you think?

Add Comment