User Avatar Image

Questions for Mike Stemmle? Post 'em here!

posted by Emily on - last edited - Viewed by 3.3K users

While the Q&A with the team thread is quite possibly the coolest thread in the history of Telltale's forum, we wanted to give you guys a chance to get a little more in depth with the folks working on the game, so starting this week we will be doing Q&As with specific members of the Tales of Monkey Island team... starting with designer Mike Stemmle!

[quote=Tales of Monkey Island team page]During his decade-plus tenure at LucasArts, Mike was kept as far away from Star Wars as possible, instead acting as lead designer on titles like Escape from Monkey Island, Sam & Max Hit the Road, Afterlife, and the never-released Sam & Max: Freelance Police. After several years working as lead writer on Star Trek Online, Mike came to Telltale, where he co-designed Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People. His disturbing blend of dry wit, convoluted syntactical constructions, and bathroom humor have added a healthy helping of absurdity to the Tales of Monkey Island proceedings.[/quote]

Mike's the lead writer/designer on the first Tales of Monkey Island episode, Launch of the Screaming Narwhal, so you should definitely pick his brain about that. But also feel free to ask about other projects he's worked on, his favorite color, his favorite Star Trek character, etc.

169 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    ttg_Stemmle Telltale Staff

@PariahKing said: This is a funny joke answer to my question because it leads into another question I was thinking of asking you. Ironically I happen to be a conservative Republican and a theologically conservative Christian. (I am not trying to imply I took offense at your joke or anything.)

Basically what I want to ask is: Will that kind of political and/or religious humor be present in Monkey Island? There was this kind of borderline environmentalist and anti-capitalist undertone in Escape.

Borderline? I assume you're being polite :)

That said, we won't be using Monkey Island as a political football. Maybe a bocce ball.

• @ttg_Stemmle said: Borderline? I assume you're being polite :)

That said, we won't be using Monkey Island as a political football. Maybe a bocce ball.

I didn't want to put any words into your mouth in case I was a bit off.

Thanks for answering my question and being polite as well. Perhaps we can go gardening sometime. >_>

• Hey Mike!
    I know that the fourth episode is called "The Trial and Execution of Guybrush Threepwood", so would that have anything to do with the goodsoups and/or blood island? Also, if you were able to fix any plot holes that were in EMI with TMI, what would you fix? I guess for me i would probably fix the herman story, but thats just my opinion :D

• Sir, I was wondering, what does the writing process for adventure games look like? I can imagine that in order to write standard shooters, you only need to slightly copy and alter the plot from a major Hollywood movie (apologies to anyone who ever worked on a shooter, but often they give me the idea that plot takes a backseat to the various ways in which you can dismember alien species). However, adventure games often give me the idea that copious amounts of mind-altering substances must be abused before the witty, creative and often exceptionally imaginative puzzles and dialogue come about.

So, how do you write for these things? Is it sitting down in a fit of giddyness, with ideas springing forth from your head like a modern-day literary Athena, or do you sit down and think hard on all the possible puzzles and dialogue in the game?

• User Avatar Image
    Tea

@Zygomatico said: I can imagine that in order to write standard shooters, you only need to slightly copy and alter the plot from a major Hollywood movie

No you fill a room full of monkeys and get them to throw poop around and smear the walls with something that makes a certain amount of sense.

Do you really think modern shooters have real writers?

• @TheJoe said: Do you really think modern shooters have real writers?

Yes.

np: Aesop Rock - No City (None Shall Pass)

• User Avatar Image
    Tea

@Leak said: Yes.

Quick read of the story says: Monkeys with an understanding of space.

Now give me a shooter that doesn't have the same story as every other shooter and I might change my mind about this.

(id software games are exempt, since they came first pretty much)

• @TheJoe said: Quick read of the story says: Monkeys with an understanding of space.

Now give me a shooter that doesn't have the same story as every other shooter and I might change my mind about this.

Except, of course, that there's probably far more story during the game than there is shooting...

np: Aesop Rock - Fumes (None Shall Pass)

• @Leak said: Except, of course, that there's probably far more story during the game than there is shooting...

np: Aesop Rock - Fumes (None Shall Pass)

Is it truly a shooter if there's more story than shooting in a game? And technically wikipedia calls it an action rpg, But, that wasn't really the point of the question, to incite an argument about shooters. More an argument about.. creative writing processes in the modern adventure-game creating workplace?

• I love adventure games as much as the next guy, but games like Half Life 2 do have epic and compelling stories - even as "shooters." I don't see adventure games having a monopoly on the genre.

Add Comment