User Avatar Image

Q&A With the Team

posted by Jake on - last edited - Viewed by 8.9K users

Welcome to the secret forum! As a thank you for pre-ordering, we've created this little backstage area where you can hang out with the development team, keep an eye on the development of Tales of Monkey Island, and hopefully get your hands on things before we go wide with them to the public.

First off, though, let's start a Q&A thread!

Any questions you've got for the development team, ask 'em here!
We'll try to dogpile this thread with high quality facts and higher quality lies conversation!

1.5K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I was wondering are there any members of the telltale team that have visited or are from Australia? Just the mention of Echidnas on the brainstorming forum got me thinking.

I loved the Perth day joke. wish that was a real holiday :P When you live in one of the most isolated cities in the world and it gets mentioned... anywhere, it makes your day :)

• @LuigiHann said: Ideally, you'd have the option to choose an individual episode, or to "Play all," like on a TV show DVD, except with intermediate credits removed :)

And it has to have audio commentary like the S&M games :D

• hey guys, pre-ordered the game just now.

I want to know if there is anything new about 'Murray' returning, I mean his backstory is really facinating :P

• @nadir said: I was wondering are there any members of the telltale team that have visited or are from Australia? Just the mention of Echidnas on the brainstorming forum got me thinking.

I loved the Perth day joke. wish that was a real holiday :P When you live in one of the most isolated cities in the world and it gets mentioned... anywhere, it makes your day :)

I think they like making jokes about Australia - such as the President being as crazy as a dingo in an Adelaide maternity ward :) It was quite a giddy moment to hear my not-very-well-known home city being mentioned. Same goes for Perth day, I guess :)

• @OCKi said: Question regarding the ToMI DVD release:

Are you guys planning on tailoring the different episodes together to one whole game so we can play the episodes back2back MI style from start to the end credits, or will it be separate episodes selectable at the main menu like S&M?

(Sorry if question has already been answered)

We've never done this before, so don't hold your breath. On both Sam & Max seasons' DVDs and on the Strong Bad DVD (and on the Wii and XBLA releases of Sam & Max) the episodes have remained separate, with a DVD-style launcher menu.

If we could bump the games up back to back in a way that wouldn't totally sabotage our QA and software build teams by effectively dumping a full length new untested game build on their plates (which that could be considered under many very real situations), it's definitely worth considering... but again, it's not something we've done before, so absolutely no promises. I'm just waving my arms around, here, saying "cool idea," without knowing the repercussions.

So again, don't hold your breath. :) Cool idea, though.

• @Jake said: We've never done this before, so don't hold your breath. On both Sam & Max seasons' DVDs and on the Strong Bad DVD (and on the Wii and XBLA releases of Sam & Max) the episodes have remained separate, with a DVD-style launcher menu.

If we could bump the games up back to back in a way that wouldn't totally sabotage our QA and software build teams by effectively dumping a full length new untested game build on their plates (which that could be considered under many very real situations), it's definitely worth considering... but again, it's not something we've done before, so absolutely no promises. I'm just waving my arms around, here, saying "cool idea," without knowing the repercussions.

Thanks for considering it! :D
    I love the way the fans are "influencing" the developement of this game! ;)

• [quote=duate;140886]yes yes yes yes pleaaaaase do this[/quote]
    +1
    +1
    +1
    +100000 :d

• Yeah, I like a full game. Great as releasing in episodes is, I prefer to stick the DVD in and play the whole game instead of re-loading inbetween chapters. It just feels weird to me, then again I am a technophobe :p

It feels kinda like say CIV4, if you have to load a new chapter whenever you get to a new age :)

• @Jake said: We've never done this before, so don't hold your breath. On both Sam & Max seasons' DVDs and on the Strong Bad DVD (and on the Wii and XBLA releases of Sam & Max) the episodes have remained separate, with a DVD-style launcher menu.

Is it possible to trigger the selection of the next chapter from the main menu automatically rather than just combine all the chapters to make one large game? Like there would be a small load screen while the disc would run the next chapter?

Wouldn't this create a situation where if you were to play the game in it's "episodic" form, you would have no access to the areas later on (i.e. you're playing episode one and cannot go to locations in ep. 5), but if you played the "full" game, you would have full range of travel? Essentially, what I'm saying is that you could theoretically visit areas at the end of the game before you're supposed to unless something were added in to prevent/trigger this.

Actually, I guess this brings up a question of my own...will any future episodes visit areas from previous ones (ex. Episode 3 goes back to area X that you started episode 2 at), or will they be entirely new locations?

Also, was there any specific event you guys would reference that made all of this possible? The brass at LucasArts seemed set against adventure games for (what seemed like) an eternity. Was it the switch to Darrell Rodriguez that got this all rolling or was something brewing beforehand?

Add Comment