User Avatar Image

Q&A With the Team

posted by Jake on - last edited - Viewed by 6.1K users

Welcome to the secret forum! As a thank you for pre-ordering, we've created this little backstage area where you can hang out with the development team, keep an eye on the development of Tales of Monkey Island, and hopefully get your hands on things before we go wide with them to the public.

First off, though, let's start a Q&A thread!

Any questions you've got for the development team, ask 'em here!
We'll try to dogpile this thread with high quality facts and higher quality lies conversation!

1.5K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    seanvanaman Telltale Staff

@Dave Grossman said: I, for one, disagree - I think it kind of messes up the cliffhangers by removing the mental space between the episodes. (Sometimes you notice a similar effect when you watch a TV show designed to have commercial breaks after those breaks have been removed.) The season is designed serially, and should be played that way for maximum enjoyment. In fact, I personally think that the folks who wait until the run is over to play the whole season at once (and some people will) are going to miss out on a cool part of the experience, that being the conversation that goes on in the intervening weeks between episodes.

Just my opinion, mind you.

I think I just got served by my boss. This is why he is the creative director. Listen to him.

• @Dave Grossman said: I, for one, disagree - I think it kind of messes up the cliffhangers by removing the mental space between the episodes. (Sometimes you notice a similar effect when you watch a TV show designed to have commercial breaks after those breaks have been removed.) The season is designed serially, and should be played that way for maximum enjoyment. In fact, I personally think that the folks who wait until the run is over to play the whole season at once (and some people will) are going to miss out on a cool part of the experience, that being the conversation that goes on in the intervening weeks between episodes.

You're right, but on the other hand keep in mind that a strong fraction of German/Italian/Spanish/French players will be forced to experience the whole TOMI in a complete translated package AFTER the series has wrapped.
    I guess an option to link the episodes together would be welcome. Nothing mandatory, just an available option. ;)

• It kind of seems like a whole lot of work for something that isn't so important, imho. I kind of like the episodic view over the game and Dave is right... It would take all that feeling away from us once we link them. I think that, beyond the common warm fuzzy feeling we get when we finish a chapter, we also will feel anxious to begin the next one (even when we will replay the game).
    For me, it's important that I will play it, no matter in what "format" (episodes/linked).

• @Dave Grossman said: I, for one, disagree - I think it kind of messes up the cliffhangers by removing the mental space between the episodes. (Sometimes you notice a similar effect when you watch a TV show designed to have commercial breaks after those breaks have been removed.) The season is designed serially, and should be played that way for maximum enjoyment. In fact, I personally think that the folks who wait until the run is over to play the whole season at once (and some people will) are going to miss out on a cool part of the experience, that being the conversation that goes on in the intervening weeks between episodes.

In defense of the people who want it (I couldn't care less, but I like this idea), one could also look at it as a book. Books are divided into chapters, (Think "episodes"), that can end suspensfully, and you can stop at the end if you want. If you want to fluidly keep going, you don't have to put down the book in order to get the next chapter.

(Yes, I also see the other side, where a book ends suspensfully and you have to wait for the sequel, but I still think its a good point.)

• Dang, I didn't read Silverwolfpet's post first. Pops to beating me to the punch.

• I agree with the launcher idea, or an in-game menu that lets you choose the episode/chapter you want to play.
    I also think it would be nice to have it (the launcher or main executable) taking use of the Windows Vista/7 Game Explorer wich also displays age, developer, genre and other details to keep everything nice and organised.

Btw, I love this pre-order forum idea, great job Telltale!

• @hplikelike said: Dang, I didn't read Silverwolfpet's post first. Pops to beating me to the punch.

That's because EVIL is fast as lightning! Muahaha! :p

• I dont think that option would ruin the experience of the game, if we all think its only gonna be usefull when we REPLAY the game, not on our first look.
    The first time we play, we will have to wait one month between episodes, and the cliffhangers will work, and our minds will explode and all that.

But after the game is over, and we want to replay it, no one is gonna wait willingly one month between episodes to keep that original feeling, it wouldnt make sense anyway cause we already know how those cliffhangers are resolved.

So to make a long story short (too late i know), the game experience will be the same.
    (Unless someone decides to play the game once the whole season is complete, but those fellas dont have blood on their veins, they are undead monsters)

• So jumping to a different topic that is along similar lines: How about keyboard support for dialog selection like the old monkey island games used to have? I admit, I'm lazy, and at times I've reached over and hit '1' only to remember that it didn't do anything so I'd have to move my mouse all the way over to the selection box and then painstakingly click on the selection... you understand the grueling task I'm speaking of here. ;)

Seriously though, it would be a nice feature in the PC version of the Telltale Engine. Its been something I have wanted since the first Sam 'n Max. I know it wouldn't work well for Wii-Ware or XBLA. Admittedly I'm still slowly playing through Strong Bad and I haven't tried Wallace and Gromit so I'm not sure if you have perhaps come up with something but I thought I'd ask anyway.

• I suppose given TTG at the end of the day has to focus on making a good game and making money, the launcher option would be a waste of resources.

I know I was one who wrote he supports back-to-back, but I think now the issue is just becoming a schism over nothing. Simply clicking escape, (or backspace, or space, or ctrl+alt+del or whatever it takes to get rid of credits) and clicking on another icon will take all of about 30 seconds. Sure it'd be nice to have the option, but maybe fans could do a custom launcher for that?

Add Comment