User Avatar Image

Q&A With the Team

posted by Jake on - last edited - Viewed by 11.2K users

Welcome to the secret forum! As a thank you for pre-ordering, we've created this little backstage area where you can hang out with the development team, keep an eye on the development of Tales of Monkey Island, and hopefully get your hands on things before we go wide with them to the public.

First off, though, let's start a Q&A thread!

Any questions you've got for the development team, ask 'em here!
We'll try to dogpile this thread with high quality facts and higher quality lies conversation!

1.5K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Also, if the time taken to program that takes away from the time to program special DVD goodies, well, lets just say I've got a top team of pirate ichin' for a fight. And if that doesn't work

I'll send in the lawyers.

[/joking], just in case... you can never be sure on a forum

• @Dave Grossman said: I, for one, disagree - I think it kind of messes up the cliffhangers by removing the mental space between the episodes. (Sometimes you notice a similar effect when you watch a TV show designed to have commercial breaks after those breaks have been removed.) The season is designed serially, and should be played that way for maximum enjoyment. In fact, I personally think that the folks who wait until the run is over to play the whole season at once (and some people will) are going to miss out on a cool part of the experience, that being the conversation that goes on in the intervening weeks between episodes.

Just my opinion, mind you.

You are probably right there, Dave. The episodes may have these intro sequences before even showing the chapter screen; and combined, that would maybe look kinda goofy.
    But just to look at the other side of this coin; The other MI games had some cliffhangers at the end of the chapters as well. The best example, I believe, is in CMI when Guybrush shipwrecks on Blood Island. That left the player with some suspense, and then.. the chapter IV screen came rolling.. I mean.. How great was that?! :D

• I have to agree that wanting to play it as a big game all at once is the worst of both worlds. It's all the issues of shoving pieces not meant to click together into a single block without all the benefit of the pieces as individual parts of a story.

• User Avatar Image
    Majus Telltale Staff

Dear Telltalers, now I have a question!
    About the title »Tales of Monkey Island«.

Are these »Tales« adventures of/from/about the island or of the game »Monkey Island«? I was wondering, because the island itself made sense in every game-title.
    Part 1: The Secret of Monkey Island was about the secret of Monkey Island.
    Part 2: Monkey Island 2 was nothing about the island, therefor the main title was »LeChuck’s Revenge«.
    Part 3: The Curse came from LeChuck, but you can see him metaphoric to the island, so »The Curse of Monkey Island« fits.
    Part 4: And in the fourth game Guybrush has to escape from the island.

Probably the tales are just tales of the game Monkey Island, it makes sense in a way, because it’s episodic and from TellTale Games. But I was so happy when I finally found a question in my brain, so I had to ask!

• Sorry if this question has been asked before, but i'm not in the mood the read 53 pages :-(

A FAQ in the first post would be great!?

So...

How will the game controls be like? Will they be like Sam & Max (completely controlled with mouse) or will they be like Wallace & Gromit (Keyboard & Mouse)??

I definitely prefer the first method, so which kind of control will TMI have?

• @Majus said: Part 3: The Curse came from LeChuck, but you can see him metaphoric to the island, so »The Curse of Monkey Island« fits.

Wouldn't that be... "metonymyc to the island"? :) Just harmless (pointless...) nitpicking.

• @Majus said: Part 3: The Curse came from LeChuck, but you can see him metaphoric to the island, so »The Curse of Monkey Island« fits.

I'd say that this doesn't fit at all. But if you think LeChuck counts, then Tales of Monkey Island will count because there's LeChuck all over everything.

(Although if LeChuck counts, then why wasn't MI2 "Revenge of Monkey Island"?)

• @Gryffalio said: Simply clicking escape, (or backspace, or space, or ctrl+alt+del or whatever it takes to get rid of credits) and clicking on another icon will take all of about 30 seconds.

Actually on my compy it takes several minutes, for some reason it takes a loooong time for my games to show the Telltale window when they exit, during which the computer is extremely slow and already launching the next game would be suicide.

But I also don't think having the episodes separate is a problem.

• I agree that having the episodes seperate is fine, or even prefered, but a launcher with a single icon would be nice to keep your desktop (or game folder) clean.

• @Kotaku said: The mouse control scheme: There's a divide among PC adventure gamers between those that like W, A, S, D plus mouse and space bar and those that only want to use the mouse. Telltale has experience with both in their point-and-click adventures work—and a keyboard-only control scheme in Wallace and Grommet —but for Monkey Island, they're looking for a compromise. Right now, you can use the keyboard to move around, but you still need the mouse to click stuff and manipulate your inventory. The alternative is to click and hold the left mouse button to bring up a red direction arrow over Guybrush. Dragging the mouse in this mode will make Guybrush walk steadily in whatever direction the mouse is moving toward. It's still a bit twitchy, and it would be nice if you didn't have to hold the left button down; but there's still plenty of time for the development team to figure it out.

What kotaku describe doesn't seem to great to be honest, though I understand it's still a work in progress. Is there a problem with using the same style of control interface as CMI in 3D, as that seemed pretty much perfect. Conversely, I had a great deal of trouble with the interface in EMI.

Add Comment