User Avatar Image

Q&A With the Team

posted by Jake on - last edited - Viewed by 13.3K users

Welcome to the secret forum! As a thank you for pre-ordering, we've created this little backstage area where you can hang out with the development team, keep an eye on the development of Tales of Monkey Island, and hopefully get your hands on things before we go wide with them to the public.

First off, though, let's start a Q&A thread!

Any questions you've got for the development team, ask 'em here!
We'll try to dogpile this thread with high quality facts and higher quality lies conversation!

1.5K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Dave Grossman said: I, for one, disagree - I think it kind of messes up the cliffhangers by removing the mental space between the episodes. (Sometimes you notice a similar effect when you watch a TV show designed to have commercial breaks after those breaks have been removed.) The season is designed serially, and should be played that way for maximum enjoyment. In fact, I personally think that the folks who wait until the run is over to play the whole season at once (and some people will) are going to miss out on a cool part of the experience, that being the conversation that goes on in the intervening weeks between episodes.

Just my opinion, mind you.

This is a great reason for including individual chapters on the DVD, but not a good reason for not creating a "play all" type option. Most people playing the game on the DVD will have played the episodes already, since the DVD is released well after all the episodes have been released individually. Most of what you have said, no longer applies when you are playing the game (or watching the series) again as you already know how the situation will be resolved.

When replaying the game, watching the credits and "previously" bits can be tedious and repetitive when you just want to continue the story. The cliffhanger that has been presented at this moment, doesn't have the same effect, as you know how the situation is resolved. A ten second (plus any additional loading time that is required) chapter screen is a more reasonable way of adding a pause to break these two parts of the story.

I do understand that it is not as simple as "cut and paste" to create this option, and I will not complain if it costs too much time or money, but I still believe that there is great value in including this option.

If you wish to discourage people from using the "play all" type option, then add it as the last option in the launcher. You would be surprised at how well something as simple as this can influence peoples behaviour.

• @Zomantic said: Wouldn't that be... "metonymyc to the island"? :) Just harmless (pointless...) nitpicking.

Wow, an Italian criticizing a German on his English? Man, you foreign people are critical. [/joking]

• @lord darkstorm
    that's what i wanted to know, thanks! :-)

• @hplikelike said: Wow, an Italian criticizing a German on his English? Man, you foreign people are critical. [/joking]

We help each other out to make you understand us. Capisci? Verstanden?

• So, as the release draws near, I have to make sure... When exactly will the first episode be available for download? Since I'm in Australia, it will be quite a bit later for me, and I'd love to still actually be playing on July 7 and not have to wait until the next day due to the difference or something. I haven't gotten a Telltale game on release day before, so I don't really know how you do it. Are the releases at midnight, and in what time zone?

• @Impossible3144 said: So, as the release draws near, I have to make sure... When exactly will the first episode be available for download? Since I'm in Australia, it will be quite a bit later for me, and I'd love to still actually be playing on July 7 and not have to wait until the next day due to the difference or something. I haven't gotten a Telltale game on release day before, so I don't really know how you do it. Are the releases at midnight, and in what time zone?

From what I've read about releases from TTGs, it's most likely going to be released at roughly 4am on July 8th for us (I imagine AEST).

• @Shmeh said: When replaying the game, watching the credits and "previously" bits can be tedious and repetitive when you just want to continue the story. The cliffhanger that has been presented at this moment, doesn't have the same effect, as you know how the situation is resolved. A ten second (plus any additional loading time that is required) chapter screen is a more reasonable way of adding a pause to break these two parts of the story.

Yep, I totally agree. We all know and love episodic gaming as it is, but when all the chapters will be collected on a single disc their fruition will by necessity be different (whether you have played them previously or not). I hope Telltale will seriously consider adopting this feature for ToMI.

• @Majus said: Dear Telltalers, now I have a question!
    About the title »Tales of Monkey Island«.

Are these »Tales« adventures of/from/about the island or of the game »Monkey Island«? I was wondering, because the island itself made sense in every game-title.
    Part 1: The Secret of Monkey Island was about the secret of Monkey Island.
    Part 2: Monkey Island 2 was nothing about the island, therefor the main title was »LeChuck’s Revenge«.
    Part 3: The Curse came from LeChuck, but you can see him metaphoric to the island, so »The Curse of Monkey Island« fits.
    Part 4: And in the fourth game Guybrush has to escape from the island.

Probably the tales are just tales of the game Monkey Island, it makes sense in a way, because it’s episodic and from TellTale Games. But I was so happy when I finally found a question in my brain, so I had to ask!

It's definitely tales in the world of Monkey Island, not tales of the island itself (though that would be cool!). For me it's about trying to bring out all of the different swirling stories the series' characters have found themselves in, and see what happens when their lives and goals collide in new and interesting ways, against a pastiche of classic pirate and sea-type stories. Tales all 'round! I don't know how other people on the team see it, but as a fan of the legacy of Monkey Island and of good pirate stories in general, that's what interests me!

@Majus said: How will the game controls be like? Will they be like Sam & Max (completely controlled with mouse) or will they be like Wallace & Gromit (Keyboard & Mouse)??

I definitely prefer the first method, so which kind of control will TMI have?

As discussed in recent previews, there's a mouse-only option as well as keyboard and mouse. Both exist :) The mouse controls are a bit different than Sam & Max's but definitely brings back the relaxing "slouch back into your chair" comfortable controls you get from mouse-only. Final controls are still being tweaked and cleaned up, even as I write this, but cool stuff is afoot.

• I've got a question for Dave Grossman (or anyone else could probably answer I guess)
    In the Facebook Q&A he did, he said about LeChuck's voice actor being a she, and I took it as a joke, but then in this thread people seem a little confused.

Is LeChuck really a girl? :)

• @Jake said: As discussed in recent previews, there's a mouse-only option as well as keyboard and mouse. Both exist :)

I noticed you didn't mention a keyboard-only option a la Wallace and Gromit. Is that off the table for this game, then?

Add Comment