User Avatar Image

Any Adventure Games for the DS, Anybody?

posted by Marduk on - last edited - Viewed by 663 users

It's as if the console was MADE for this type of game. (I fervently hope TTG will eventually make a couple of games for it. Particularly Sam & Max).

I've noticed a surprisingly large number of games which I have suspected to be Adventure games (far more than I would have expected for a console so new in such a short time and in this day and age) come out for it. (Also, have you ever noticed that no adventures have a message on the back of the box saying "This is an Adventure Game"?

Far more than I can actually afford to buy, since the recession. I've been making a list, mentally, of the games to look out for and buy when I have some cash together, but its hard. (For one thing the games on the shelves are never in the same place twice, especially if some have been purchased).

So I thought I'd look up a list of DS adventure titles online and go through it for the ones I'm most interested in. Sadly most of the lists aren't just for adventure games, but various different types of action games. Soon it becomes hard to tell which is which.

If anybody knows of an adventure game fan site that has a DS section or even a DS fansite that has a [proper] adventure game section then PLEASElet me know. Until then, here's a list of games collated from this thread :)

Original DS Titles;
Hotel Dusk: Room 215
Touch Detective 1 & 2 (For some reason called 'Mystery Detective', here in the UK. The bundled games are referred to as 'Touch Detective' but I've only seen these available online).
The 'Ace Attorney' series (Not entirely certain this is an adventure game but most adventure players recommend it).
Secret Files: Tunguska (At first I thought the dialogue in this game was terrible. Then, when I accounted for the language barrier (I discovered that the game was made in germany), I realised that some of the weird lines were actually jokes).
Another Code (I'm told that the Wii and DS versions were originally intended for release on both systems so I'm not going to regard this as a ported title).
CSI: Dark Motives
Miami Law (Haven't seen this anywhere online or in shops. I assume it's real as it was mentioned by TTG's own Emily and that it's probably just not yet available in the UK).
Flower, Sun, and Rain (Something of an 'interactive novel', from what I gather).
Sherlock Holmes: The Mystery Of The Mummy

Probably Adventure Games (if there's anybody who can verify any of these that would be great :D);
Mystery Mansion
Cate West: The Vanishing Files (Not yet released)
Mystery Stories
Mystery Case Files: Millionheir
Unsolved Crimes
Nancy Drew
Nancy Drew: The Deadly Secret of Olde World Park
Nancy Drew: The Hidden Staircase (All 3 of these Nancy Drew titles appear to be from differant publishers).

Ported Titles
Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars Director's Cut (also on Wii)
Syberia (just the first one),
Myst
Ankh
Jake Hunter
Undercover : Dual Motives

Thanks in advance :D

67 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I haven't played it on the DS, myself. I got it for the PSP and didn't see the point in getting it for another handheld. Those adventures I have played on the DS have had brilliant interfaces, though (though the puzzles on Touch Detective required for to large leaps of intuition).

What was wrong with Myst?

Also, what are the puzzles like in 'Prof. Layton's...'? I got the impression that they're more the kind of puzzles you'd generally expect to find outside the adventure games (like on IQ tests or pub bets. By pub bets i mean like "remove 2 of these matches to leave 10" or "pick up 5 bricks with 1 hand" or "how can you make a bridge with 3 planks that are too short without nails, ropes or any adhesive substances?")

• I don't think anybody's saying there's a problem with Myst, just it's god-awful DS port. There's apparently one section where a button you have to press is only one pixel big. Also, it's been said everywhere that it has an alternate (inferior) soundtrack, but from what I've heard it's the exact same one.....so I don't get why everyone's saying it's different. Is it only certain songs that are changed? Anybody know who has it? What's the deal there?

• I would love to see more adventure games on the DS but I would prefer developers to create games designed for the consoles, not just ported because they were successful on another platform. I do think, however, that Revolution did a good job in porting Broken Sword to the DS but I believe that's mainly down to them doing it themselves instead of a third party creating the port (like Myst).

• @natlinxz said: Myst on DS completely destroyed any hope I had in Adventure gaming on that system.

Don't let it. That was a shameful and effortless port (ported by Midway, not Cyan or anyone with a soul), one of the worst ports I've ever seen. I stand by my insistence that Myst could have been done well on DS if it had been handled by a competent team, or a team that cared about Myst. The people who developed the port were clearly neither.

I wrote up some of the specific problems I had here: http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=227976&sid=537b6de304edde3eebd63785b307c526#227976

Man, I can't get over how angry that makes me. The idea that some people who had never played Myst bought that, and got their first impression of the series from that garbage port... it's just wrong.

There are plenty of decent and several great adventure games on DS. Don't give up on it because of one bad apple.

Marduk, the puzzles in Professor Layton are exactly as you describe, little mind-teasers. Several of them involve matchsticks, even.

• Just think. Whenever ScummVM gets around to supporting Myst and Riven you may be able to play them on the DS someday...

• @Marduk said: Also, what are the puzzles like in 'Prof. Layton's...'? I got the impression that they're more the kind of puzzles you'd generally expect to find outside the adventure games (like on IQ tests or pub bets. By pub bets i mean like "remove 2 of these matches to leave 10" or "pick up 5 bricks with 1 hand" or "how can you make a bridge with 3 planks that are too short without nails, ropes or any adhesive substances?")

That's exactly what it's like. I played it for a few hours and then it got very boring and tedious very fast. There's a game called Lux-Pain you might want to check out. Here's a video review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW7nFqAg9do

• User Avatar Image
    Tea

@Marduk said: I haven't played it on the DS, myself. I got it for the PSP and didn't see the point in getting it for another handheld. Those adventures I have played on the DS have had brilliant interfaces, though (though the puzzles on Touch Detective required for to large leaps of intuition).

What was wrong with Myst?

Also, what are the puzzles like in 'Prof. Layton's...'? I got the impression that they're more the kind of puzzles you'd generally expect to find outside the adventure games (like on IQ tests or pub bets. By pub bets i mean like "remove 2 of these matches to leave 10" or "pick up 5 bricks with 1 hand" or "how can you make a bridge with 3 planks that are too short without nails, ropes or any adhesive substances?")

I broke my first DS because of the harder puzzles in Layton.

• @MusicallyInspired said: Just think. Whenever ScummVM gets around to supporting Myst and Riven you may be able to play them on the DS someday...

I don't think that SCUMMVM will be supporting Myst anytime soon. Part of getting SCUMMVM to work was having the source code from a few SCUMM games, and I don't think that Myst is open source. :p

I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm just saying that it's hard.

• @corruptbiggins said: I would love to see more adventure games on the DS but I would prefer developers to create games designed for the consoles, not just ported because they were successful on another platform. I do think, however, that Revolution did a good job in porting Broken Sword to the DS but I believe that's mainly down to them doing it themselves instead of a third party creating the port (like Myst).

Both the Wii and DS are excellent venues for adventure games but aside from those don't see the point of porting or creating adventures for any other console. There's no reason why console versions of games (or original console games) shouldn't work on them but I imagine it's something to do with having to use a joypad instead of a mouse and keyboard.

Still, another code seems to be doing quite well so we may well be seeing original titles on the wii if not other consoles.

Add Comment