User Avatar Image

Q&A With the Team

posted by Jake on - last edited - Viewed by 6.0K users

Welcome to the secret forum! As a thank you for pre-ordering, we've created this little backstage area where you can hang out with the development team, keep an eye on the development of Tales of Monkey Island, and hopefully get your hands on things before we go wide with them to the public.

First off, though, let's start a Q&A thread!

Any questions you've got for the development team, ask 'em here!
We'll try to dogpile this thread with high quality facts and higher quality lies conversation!

1.5K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Gryffalio said: Is LeChuck really a girl? :)

You just discovered the Secret of Monkey Island.

• As I have read in diffrent news outlet, the game is controlled with a mix of Keyboard and mouse (E3 build), Will the option to control the game with only the mouse (sam & max way), keyboard (Wallace and Gromit) and both be optional?
    I would like it to be chosen in the options menu, however I know it's hard implementing the choices so late in the development. I would prefer only mouse, as I've stood by it since the 1990s (the year I was born)

• @Erlec said: As I have read in diffrent news outlet, the game is controlled with a mix of Keyboard and mouse (E3 build), Will the option to control the game with only the mouse (sam & max way), keyboard (Wallace and Gromit) and both be optional?
    I would like it to be chosen in the options menu, however I know it's hard implementing the choices so late in the development. I would prefer only mouse, as I've stood by it since the 1990s (the year I was born)

You should read Jake's post one page back. I even quoted part of it at the top of this page.

From the post, we have Keyboard+Mouse and Just Mouse control. The Just Mouse control isn't Sam and Max. There's two ways to do mouse control, click and drag to walk and click to activate "Walk", drag the mouse without having to hold down the button, and then click to "Deactivate Walk".

• @Gryffalio said: Is LeChuck really a girl? :)

@Gryffalio said: You just discovered the Secret of Monkey Island.

HAHA
    But I'm actually shocked the Voice Actor for Le Chuck is a girl. He doesn't sound as a girl AT ALL

• @thin029 said: HAHA
    But I'm actually shocked the Voice Actor for Le Chuck is a girl. He doesn't sound as a girl AT ALL

;)

You've never met Yorkshire lasses, clearly :-)

• @Rather Dashing said: You should read Jake's post one page back. I even quoted part of it at the top of this page.

From the post, we have Keyboard+Mouse and Just Mouse control. The Just Mouse control isn't Sam and Max. There's two ways to do mouse control, click and drag to walk and click to activate "Walk", drag the mouse without having to hold down the button, and then click to "Deactivate Walk".

Yeah, sorry. My excitement to finnaly getting the money to preorder the item and reading through all this stuff made me ask my question before checking if had been asked before (Can you really blame me? :( )

• I would like to ask more general questions about the games industry, specifically getting into it.

First off, I would like to know if age is a major factor when considering a possible recruit for a games company. I ask because I'm currently a 2nd year university student in England (just finished my 2nd year actually) and if everything goes according to plan I will graduate when I'm around 30 (a small point to consider for myself is that if everything does go to plan I will have already have a year's experience in working at a games company before I graduate and if that doesn't happen I'll be graduating near my 29th birthday - of course there's always the possibility I'll fail my degree course but that's not an option I'm considering).

Secondly, what sort of skills does the average games company (I know there probably isn't any such thing as an average games company but that's the best description I can think of) look for in potential employees, specifically in programmers.

And finally are there any tips that anyone can give me about trying to get a placement position (I believe internship is the terminology used in America) for a year at a games company and what sort of programs I should look into developing in my final year at university which would be useful in getting myself full time employment as a games progammer (in the final year of the course I'm doing students are expected to create something which shows off their skills for their practical project which commands a fairly high percentage of their final grade in most cases).

I'd also like to apologise for the length of this post (I tend to ramble a bit when I'm uncertain I should do something) and I understand if my questions remain unanswered.

• @Jake said: We've never done this before, so don't hold your breath. On both Sam & Max seasons' DVDs and on the Strong Bad DVD (and on the Wii and XBLA releases of Sam & Max) the episodes have remained separate, with a DVD-style launcher menu.

If we could bump the games up back to back in a way that wouldn't totally sabotage our QA and software build teams by effectively dumping a full length new untested game build on their plates (which that could be considered under many very real situations), it's definitely worth considering... but again, it's not something we've done before, so absolutely no promises. I'm just waving my arms around, here, saying "cool idea," without knowing the repercussions.

So again, don't hold your breath. :) Cool idea, though.

Will it help at all if I just wave my arms around saying "cool game designer?"

.....no. Really? It won't?

So I'm just sitting here at my computer flailing wildly and shouting at the screen for nothing? Bummer.

Sigh...oh well. Cool game designer.

• Please Discworld next.

I'd preorder 2 seasons ^^

• Here's a question that I don't recall it's been asked:

Does the title Tales of Monkey Island make any sense with the plot? It would obviously fit like a glove if the episodes were separate stories, but you've ruled this out.
    That means either that somewhere in the game you come across some Tales about Monkey Island (and they are vital to the plot), or you just thought the name sounded cool and there are no significant tales whatsoever.

Which is it?

Love you. Keep being awesome.

Add Comment