User Avatar Image

Q&A With the Team

posted by Jake on - last edited - Viewed by 13.1K users

Welcome to the secret forum! As a thank you for pre-ordering, we've created this little backstage area where you can hang out with the development team, keep an eye on the development of Tales of Monkey Island, and hopefully get your hands on things before we go wide with them to the public.

First off, though, let's start a Q&A thread!

Any questions you've got for the development team, ask 'em here!
We'll try to dogpile this thread with high quality facts and higher quality lies conversation!

1.5K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I think someone said way earlier in the thread the actual episodes themselves are the "Tales of" Monkey Island.

• Each episode is supposed to have its own beginning and end. But more than their previous episodic games, they're working to make each "Tale" fit more into a large, epic story that makes sense rather than tying mostly separate stories together at the end(or, in the case of SBCG4AP, sort of partially linking a couple of them together a bit).

At least, that's the way I've always understood it.

• The way I was looking at it is that the door is being left open for future seasons. Season 1 is a Tale of Monkey Island, then if there's a second season that's another Tale of Monkey Island, and so on.

That's what I got out of it anyway.

• I've said this before but it's useful to bear in mind that this approach to monkey island storytelling has been used before, in a less overt fashion:

in the Secret of Monkey Island, Part One is the story of how guybrush completes the three trials to become a pirate, with a cliffhanger at the end to lead us into the next part, and so on.

It's even clearer in Curse of Monkey Island - spoiler warning of course for anyone who hasn't played

In Part One it's the story of how guybrush reunites with elaine and lechuck, culminating in the marriage proposal which of course goes wrong, turning elaine into a statue.

Part Two is a classic monkey island map/ship/crew quest, ending in them setting sail for Blood Island

Part Three is all about getting the map back, culminating in the shipwreck on blood island

Part Four is the story of Blood Island and the quest for the ring, (and I've forgotten how that ends)

Part Five is the return to the carnival and the final defeat of LeChuck

So you can see how all of the sections tell their own story, completely seperate gameplay/location-wise but linked by the running plot of the cursed ring.

I expect Tales of Monkey Island will adopt a similar approach to storytelling, except that:

1) Each part will be of more consistent length
    2) The individual story/theme of each part will be more overtly spelled out, as will the lead-in to the next part.

Apart from that, though, this is really what we're already used to.

• @Rather Dashing said: I noticed you didn't mention a keyboard-only option a la Wallace and Gromit. Is that off the table for this game, then?

Monkey doesn't support keyboard only, I'm sorry to say for those who preferred that. The "what the character is looking at appears in the top corner of the screen where you can then use it or combine it with inventory" system built for W&G isn't in the Monkey codebase. That's one of those things that happens when you have projects with staggered/overlapping schedules. I imagine if the game ends up on XBLA we'll give that stuff a look again (don't quote me on that though as I'm just thinking out loud here), but the game on PC is keyboard/mouse hybrid or mouse only.

@Rather Dashing said: Here's a question that I don't recall it's been asked:

Does the title Tales of Monkey Island make any sense with the plot? It would obviously fit like a glove if the episodes were separate stories, but you've ruled this out.
    That means either that somewhere in the game you come across some Tales about Monkey Island (and they are vital to the plot), or you just thought the name sounded cool and there are no significant tales whatsoever.

I did my best to answer this question (or at least my personal take on an answer) just one page back!

• @Rather Dashing said: I noticed you didn't mention a keyboard-only option a la Wallace and Gromit. Is that off the table for this game, then?

According to Kotaku the developers used me and another guy here on the forum's combined effort to create a do-able mouse only control that still requires drive mechanics like WASD.

So I gotta say.... thanks for reading your forums.... and thanks for using my evolved Idea. I think more than one person on this forum will be happy... especially those with disabilities because there are a few.

• Why did Elaine's eyes turn green? I'm certain that she had blue eyes in MI1 and CMI.

• Same question for the voodoo lady: In part 1 and 2 she had green eyes, now she has brown eyes in the new ones. I loved the magical atmosphere of the eyes, they fit so well in the dark room.

• Ok so I am confused by the questions on the name and how it relates to Monkey Island itself.

Monkey Island IS in the game is it not? It would seem strange if it wasn't in there at least as a plot device of some sort.

• @Jake said: the game on PC is keyboard/mouse hybrid or mouse only.

That'd better be a sweet sweet mouse-only control scheme! :) I do not prefer keyboard over mouse, it's just that the hybrid solution in W&G was far too intricate for simple adventureing: if the newly designed mouse system works well and allows a smooth single-handed enjoyment of the game, well, count me in!

Add Comment